Date: 18-05-24  Time: 15:15 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 8 clutch problems???  (Read 3787 times)

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Fazer 8 clutch problems???
« on: 04 May 2014, 09:30:23 am »
Found out last evening a friend who has the same model Fazer 8 as myself, bought with 900 miles on the clock last year has had the clutch [/size]disintegrate[/color][/size], causing a potential repair bill of £1300 still under warranty, but Yamaha say this is due to abuse.[/color]
[/size]Prior to buying the Fazer was riding a 600 1998 Bandit for years, lovingly cared for and in excellent condition with no mechanical problems, experienced rider, passed advanced training, so sympathetic to clutch and bike in general without being unprogressive.
[/size][/color]Never heard of a Yamaha clutch doing this, had a Yamaha since 2000, did huge mileages on all of them without any problems apart from alternator failing on first R1 a week before warranty expired thankfully, so it was covered.[/font]
[/size][/color]Would appreciate any help feed back on this please.[/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 8 clutch problems???
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2014, 09:23:54 pm »
I have a Fazer8 ABS and I hate the clutch. I think it is a design fault. Had FZ6 for 8 years and no problem. I find that sometimes when changing down the gear pedal feels hard. I told the dealer about it and he said that the bike is still new so the gearbox will be a bit tight! FZ6 wasn't like that. Done about 2500 miles and it's still the same. I will see how it goes until the next service....

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2014, 07:00:31 pm »
I've found adjusting the chain was sorted the gear change stiffness, nothing to do with the clutch, probably.

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2014, 09:30:06 pm »
I've found adjusting the chain was sorted the gear change stiffness, nothing to do with the clutch, probably.

Thanks....I will try that...my mate said the same thing but then I thought that it had only just come back from the 600 mls service so they should have adjusted it. The only problem is that I don't have a centre stand...

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2014, 09:11:41 am »
Just found out the complete clutch housing and basket are damaged, with bits in the sump and quoting £1300 for repair, bike still under Yamaha warranty only covered 6,000 miles was due for service and clutch was to be complaint. Yamaha at this point refusing to repair under warranty, saying rider abuse! The rider is a mature experienced person who ran a 98 600 Bandit for years, which was lovingly cared for and during this time covered 1,000's of trouble free miles.
[/size][/color]Looks like an independent engineer will be called in to assess.[/font]
[/size][/color][/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous