Date: 28-04-24  Time: 05:46 am

Author Topic: Brake caliper help needed please.  (Read 1261 times)

oberonspacefruit

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Brake caliper help needed please.
« on: 07 April 2017, 04:48:09 pm »
2002 fzs 600

I came to change my rear pads, after the brake had been getting progressively worse. Ive noticed that the pistons are pretty far out and have a lot of corrosion around the rim. Ive taken ther calliper off, split it, got it in the vice but it wont budge with anything i can get on it, short of welding somthing to it.
I gave up for the day, and decided to look for a used caliper.
theres only 1 that i can find on ebay, its £90 and its in spain.......

so, i may have to put new pistons in this, but as the pistons are corroded-theres traces of corroded rubber, presumably a seal where it come out too far, i'm worried that bthe bore may be knackered too.

Is there any other callipers that people have used on the rear, as these seem pretty scarce, and expensive for what they are......

if not, has anybody had any dealings with re doing the pistons? ive seen stainless ones on wemoto, but its going to be about £70 for those......

An expensive day, as i probably need to replace the disc as well.....

Thanks in advance for your help

daviee

Re: Brake caliper help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2017, 05:08:26 pm »
fazer 1000 blue spot caliper fit their is one on ebay from america http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/01-05-YAMAHA-FAZER-1000-FZ1-REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER-OEM-/152482953387?hash=item2380b138ab:g:RxUAAOSwdGFY09E6 their is also guys on hear refurb them

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2017, 05:34:12 pm »
As you have split the caliper & pistons are corroded can you not grip them with a pair of water pump pliers or mole grips in the vice & with a left/right movement pull them out,you maybe lucky cleaning the bores & piston seal groove on each side,new pistons & seals lubed with clean brake fluid,once pistons & seals are in lube around them with a smear of red rubber grease.         

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2017, 05:44:15 pm »
Did you try pumping the pistons out with caliper on the bike and using the brake pedal?  Put a spanner across the centre slots in the caliper to stop one piston popping out before the other is ready to come out too.

You may find nothing needs replacing, just cleaning and once sorted keep a regular cleaning regime  in mind especially if all weather riding.

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

oberonspacefruit

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2017, 06:27:02 pm »
Did you try pumping the pistons out with caliper on the bike and using the brake pedal? 

i did, but it wasnt forthcoming. having said that i may try re connecting it if i cant get the piston out and trying again.

oberonspacefruit

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2017, 06:32:57 pm »
As you have split the caliper & pistons are corroded can you not grip them with a pair of water pump pliers or mole grips in the vice & with a left/right movement pull them out,
ive got a pipe wrnch on it, and its so stiff, it is just chewing the pison up. ive even hack sawed a notch into the rim of the piston to try and chisel it round to loosen it but its not playing.
I may have to weld a bracket on it to get more leverage if i cant find a cheapish replacement.

The 1000 blue spot looks interesting.......still be 70 quid though, plus any import duty.... cant believe theyre so hard to come by..... :eek

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2017, 06:44:12 pm »
You need this mounting plate: # 351896055586
And a caliper from a TRX850/YZF750/Thunderace like this: # 182364759147
Probably need  the donor caliper rear brakeline too

Then you have a replacement rear caliper setup that's a perfect fit and as powerful as the FZS1000 bluespot rear caliper

sgpwwg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2017, 08:23:49 pm »
I have used this company for second hand parts, they a have a FSZ600 rear calliper for 75 euros.

https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/part/yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-1998-2001-(fzs600)-brake-caliper-rear-1998&ID=B10000PQ7V

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2017, 05:37:50 am »
I'd rebuild the caliper and use a grease gun to force out the stuck piston (bleed nipple makes a useful grease nipple). As has been suggested, put a spanner or something suitable to stop the free pistons from popping out before the seized one moves.

Bit messy with grease but save you the trouble of bleeding and as you need to strip the caliper you can clean it up on the bench 
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!