Date: 18-04-24  Time: 06:39 am

Author Topic: Battery Drain  (Read 1523 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Battery Drain
« on: 23 January 2018, 09:47:45 am »
So, today, if time permits I intend to try and find the cause of my battery drain. The battery was new last year and seems to hold its charge well when on the bench.
Attached to the bike it drains much quicker. The bike is standard electrically apart from a 12v socket on the fairing infill and a double usb socket on the handlebars. Both those are wired directly to and from the battery.
Just wondering if anyone has found any other causes of battery drain on our fzs1000's?

D

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Drain
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2018, 10:06:15 am »
As you've wired your sockets directly to the battery they are "live" all the time, so either of them could be a source of the problem. I prefer to have mine wired via a relay so only work when the ignition is on. Just a thought. Hope you find the answer today.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2018, 10:09:34 am »
Mmmmmm.....maybe I could add a simple rocker switch to the circuit in an accessible position?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2018, 10:32:38 am »
You'd need to make sure your switch was totally waterproof. If you were going to do that, in my opinion you might as well spend the time installing a relay. It would be under the seat and out of the way. However if you've got access to a multi meter you could prove if either of your sockets are problematic. I only suggested them as I'm not a fan of stuff wired directly to the battery, other than on Optimate charging lead. Good luck :) .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2018, 12:08:42 pm »
Fair point but I need these live without ignition for camping purposes.
Drain reading 0.1 on bike harness alone and 0.2 on accessories alone....think I'll try a switch....unless there is another way??

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2018, 03:22:22 pm »
I expect it will be the USB sockets, these run at 5v so must be a permanently energised transformer to step down from 12v

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2018, 06:29:49 pm »
I expect it will be the USB sockets, these run at 5v so must be a permanently energised transformer to step down from 12v

That would make sense...I think it is worse since the USB was added...(and it was the latest addition).

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile