Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:10 am

Author Topic: Changing speedo  (Read 7014 times)

Waker87

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Changing speedo
« on: 19 May 2014, 08:34:09 pm »
I am struggling to find anything on speedo's. As I understand it if you disconnect the speedo you will get engine running problems, is this true? Is there a way around it?

The reason I ask is I would like to put a small speedo out of the way, as I am taking the front fairing off and the original is to bulky.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Changing speedo
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2014, 09:12:58 pm »
The problem is that the TPS uses the signal from the speedo sensor to calibrate itself, and throws a wobbly if it doesn't get it. There have been mumurs about ways around it, but as few people have tried it, you may need to hunt around.

Ruby Racing is doing it on his project bike, but I don't know how far he's got with it yet.
The Deef's apprentice

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2014, 11:34:39 pm »
Not got to that stage yet. Soon hopefully.

This is my theory and at this stage it's still just a theory. There are three wires that come from the speedo drive.

One goes directly to the speedo
One goes to the TPS and the Pick Up Coil
One goes off to the speedo and the Igniter Unit (ECU).

The Koso speedo I'm using also has three wires that go to the magnetic speedo pick up at the wheel. I would suggest as long as you splice in some wiring and maintain the feeds to the TPS, Pick Up Coil and Igniter Unit then you should avoid getting error codes. However if you use the speedo pick up that comes with your aftermarket speedo then the signals might not be the same as the OE speedo sensor on the wheel. I don't know how you would check that, but someone with good electronics understanding would probably be able to work it out. If you are using the OE wheel then you could use the OE speedo sensor to drive your aftermarket speedo. On the Koso you calibrate the speedo so it knows how many pick up points it's looking for and I'd assume other makes work the same. Just to reiterate, this is all still just theory on my part and I hope it makes sense.

One thing does bug me though. For those owners that have had their bikes set up on a dyno, did they get error codes? Because the front wheel wouldn't be registering any speed.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 03:59:54 pm »
As I understand it if you disconnect the speedo you will get engine running problems, is this true?
No, it's not true.
When you rev over 10,000 then the Rev counter will display an error code and won't reset until you turn the bike off at the key (not killswitch) but there are no adverse effects, you don't lose any engine power!
Some say...

Geordi Sussex

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2014, 09:06:36 pm »
I've removed my original clocks and got a koso speedo on my bike
I've not has any running issues at all

NFFN

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2014, 09:35:17 am »
My speedo packed in many years ago (I've fixed it). 
In any event I forgot to clip the cable to it properly, hence the disc rivets wore through the cable and the speedo stopped working. 
However there was no issue with the bike, it still ran fine with no working speedo.

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2014, 09:50:27 am »
Likewise, I was running my bike for a couple weeks without speedo while I was waiting on a new part. The wires weren't disconnected, but the speedo wasn't working still which is what I think you are getting at - I had no problems at all with the running of the bike.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2014, 01:27:24 pm »

Where are you taking your speed reading from? The OE speed sensor or the one supplied with the Koso?

Do you get any error codes?

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

emjaydee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Aprilia RSV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2014, 03:43:21 pm »
Is there any other speedos from other Yamaha's that work with the FZS600?   Does the XJR1300 use the same speedo sensor? Will it work?

« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 08:08:23 pm by emjaydee »

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2014, 10:25:14 pm »
Is there any other speedos from other Yamaha's that work with the FZS600?   Does the XJR1300 use the same speedo sensor? Will it work?

Punkstig was able to cut down an FZS speedo drive to fit his Thundercat front wheel (I assume that's what you're referring to?)
The Deef's apprentice

Geordi Sussex

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2014, 10:50:24 pm »

Where are you taking your speed reading from? The OE speed sensor or the one supplied with the Koso?

I use magnets and the sensor for the speedo
Just have to calibrate it

Error codes?
What on the new unit
No all works good

NFFN

emjaydee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Aprilia RSV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2014, 10:59:41 pm »
Punkstig was able to cut down an FZS speedo drive to fit his Thundercat front wheel (I assume that's what you're referring to?)
Sorry, what I was trying to say is will the speedo from a XJR1300 or any other Yamaha, work on a FZS600 using the existing speedo sensor?

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2014, 04:02:09 pm »

I use magnets and the sensor for the speedo
Just have to calibrate it

Error codes?
What on the new unit
No all works good

Thanks. That's reassuring.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2014, 08:29:39 pm »
Sorry, what I was trying to say is will the speedo from a XJR1300 or any other Yamaha, work on a FZS600 using the existing speedo sensor?
I believe our speedo is unique to this bike only- bit of a scratch head and wonder part because everything else was made from the yamaha parts bin!
Some say...