Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:36 pm

Author Topic: Mivv Exhaust  (Read 4783 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Mivv Exhaust
« on: 07 May 2014, 08:53:15 pm »
I haven't seen another Fazer 600 with a Mivv exhaust can, so thought I would do a review on the experience of mine in case it is helpful to anyone. Skip to the bottom for the quick summary.

This is the first aftermarket exhaust can I have ever bought or owned on any of my bikes so I was quite unsure of what to actually get, I have always wanted one though and this is the first bike I've had that actually sounds pretty decent. I did a lot of research and shortlisted a few companies; Simmi Performance, SP Engineering, Pipe Werx and Mivv. I wanted an exhaust that was fairly standard looking, nothing too mental or stubby looking, but light with a nice sound without breaking the bank. I also wanted to be a bit different from the crowd so avoided delkevic, beowulf etc. My maximum was £200, for that I could have got a carbon Simmi can like Noggys which I think looks ace, a carbon SP, a few nice Pipe Werx cans in carbon / stainless or the most basic Mivv can in stainless only. Looking at all of them and reading reviews, I ended up going for the Mivv as I thought it looked really smart, it had great reviews and matched all my criteria. The fact they make OEM stuff for the likes of Aprillia and used to be the manufacturer of Honda's moto gp exhausts also filled me with confidence.

It took a long time to arrive, almost a month as it came from Italy. When I got it out of the box I was initially really impressed with the quality, however the so called "removable baffle" was held in by a rivet which was annoying as I wanted the easy option of baffle in or out. The instructions are awful, really badly translated from Italian to English and the diagrams are tiny. The gasket they provided was too small, the exhaust clamp was too big.... It was an utter ball ache to actually fit and took about 3 weeks (due partly to poor ebay postal service) to get the thing on properly.

Once on, I was a bit underwhelmed by the "baffle in" sound. It is a nicer tone than stock I guess but not really any louder. So out of curiosity I went to the trouble of drilling out the rivet that holds in the baffle and removing it. Wow, what a sound! On tick over it sounded really meaty, so I took it out on the road for a test. It was epic...for about 5 minutes. Then it started to really piss me off and I felt quite paranoid that everyone was probably looking at me thinking "look at that berk on that Fazer". It is sooooo bassy, the rumble actually reverberated in my helmet and made this really very annoying and distracting sound that I didn't like at all. Perhaps a different helmet with more ear padding would have been okay, I don't know. It is an absolute howitzer of a thing un-baffled tough thats for sure, however I do have to say that last Sunday riding with my dad on one of my favorite roads and giving it the beans un-baffled was probably the most exciting ride of my life. It did sound truly epic at 6000+ and I felt like a moto gp rider, but yeah day to day it is just absolutely ridiculous so I then had to go to the trouble of finding a small enough bolt and nut to fit in the rivet hole to hold the baffle in, which now makes it sound like a wet fart again... If there was some way I could get a middle ground, the thing would be perfect but I am pretty sure that isn't an option unfortunately.

So, to sum up.
Price - 8/10 For £200, you get a pretty big name brand and a top quality product once you can assemble it properly.
Looks - 9/10 In my opinion, it looks really classy without looking tacky or too dull. Just what I wanted. I really like the logo especially.
Sound Baffled - 6/10 Not worth upgrading from stock if you plan on keeping it baffled, or if you want the look of a sporty can probably worth saving about £80 and going for a Delk or Simmi
Sound Unbaffled 9/10 Absolutely monstrous, even on a fazer so can't imagine what it would be like on an R1 or Tuono or something. Not for me though, way too impractical for day to day use and makes you feel a bit of a plonker that's compensating for something.
Postage - 3/10 Took a month, though was tracked the whole way which was handy.
Instruction Manual and Assembly - 1/10 Instructions poor, diagram too small, most annoyingly supplied with WRONG PARTS?!?!

I am not sure if I can honestly say I would recommend this exhaust can, however I don't regret buying it either. Without trying a few out, I was unable to know what was good or not and took a gamble on this one. I do like it, if anyone knows a way to mod the baffle to make it a bit less quiet but not as MEGA as un-baffled I would be very grateful. My mates Beowulf sounded ace on his bandit and another friend had one on his hornet, neither were as raw as the Mivv un-baffled and still sounded good baffled. Don't look as good as the Mivv though, but I will go for one of them next time perhaps. Hope this helps.

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Mivv Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2014, 09:03:09 pm »
I have the Pipe Werx can on mine n doesnt sound much different baffle in or baffle out... Im guessin after just shellin out £200 you wouldnt be keen on shortenin the Mivv a little?  :b
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Re: Mivv Exhaust
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2014, 09:14:21 pm »
Pipe werx was my very close second choice in the end, I'm in slight regret I didn't go for them now. I liked that they were a British make, the "X" lazer cut into the baffle looks pretty awesome too. I just thought they didn't look quite as classy as the Mivv from the side and even though they were very highly reviewed didn't have the same pedigree. Haha nah I definitely wont be chopping the actual can, but would consider modding the baffle maybe if it isn't too drastic. It isn't a long can, nor a short and stumpy one so it doesn't need shortening in my opinion. I don't have a photo of it on the bike side on unfortunately but will probably get one tomorrow or something.