Date: 27-04-24  Time: 23:19 pm

Author Topic: Question: How to Repair/ Install Sidestand 03 Fzs600  (Read 2050 times)

zacckos

• Cager in Training
  • still learning
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - I walk :(
    • View Profile
Question: How to Repair/ Install Sidestand 03 Fzs600
« on: 02 May 2014, 09:46:07 am »
When warming my bike this morning I realized the side stand was being a little resistive in being in the down/out position .... didn't think much of it   but when I got to work and put the side stand down it sort of disintergrated and just hang there being limp now it wont stay in the up/in position does anyone know how to install these things or is there an instructional topic somewhere on the forum I have tried to search but I can see one

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Question: How to Repair/ Install Sidestand 03 Fzs600
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2014, 10:13:18 am »
depends if the sidestand itself is buggered, or if just the spring has clapped out.

changing the spring - easy enough.....as long as you have a replacement spring.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

zacckos

• Cager in Training
  • still learning
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2014, 10:50:41 am »
actually its the spring that just came out it sort of gave up in life so yes I think its spring replacement that I need to do can you guide me on how to put one on?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2014, 11:06:03 am »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2014, 11:40:09 am »
Hi zacckos,

I would have thought it would be fairly simple. Not technical maybe just a bit fiddly.

I had to do the same job last weekend on my centre stand when the spring snapped.

I'd suggest sourcing a new OEM tension spring and just having a go.

I found my local dealer CMC Chesterfield was cheaper for the part, £16 rather than £25 on the internet.

If you run in to problems you can always take it off entirely or cable tie it up so it's nice and safe and go and seek assistance that way.

For the main stand I found the spring was quite strong, so I needed to take the stand off, attach the spring and then use the stand itself to extend the spring long enough to reattach the bots.

A bit of grease wouldn't go amiss while your're at it, just grease up the spring and it's mount points to prevent wear and corrosion.

Oh and if you have problems getting the inner spring with it's rubber sheath to go through the middle of the larger outer one then again, grease it up or WD40 or similar and it'll go right in! Ohh err!

Andy
« Last Edit: 02 May 2014, 11:52:35 am by andybesy »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2014, 11:58:06 am »
For the main stand I found the spring was quite manly, so I needed to take the stand off, attach the spring and then use the stand itself to extend the spring long enough to reattach the bots. Not technical just a bit fiddly.
Yep I took my side stand off last year for repainting and you can put the spring in first and locate the bolt that goes throuh the stand and spring plate but that is not the right position to fully do up the bolt, you will see there is a sort of a cam on the stand face where it touches the bike frame, if I remember its the stopper part when you extend the stand. Thing is you have to extend the stand to be able to do up the bolt so it is in the right alinment but this is under tension from the spring and also it wants to twist as the spring puts tension on the stand.
Perhaps there is an eaiser way but after some swearing i managed to sotp the twist -keep the tension- do the bolt up- whilst laying on my side.

By the way it has two springs - one insie of another, as I realised when I did it all up the first time and found out why it was easiy, cause I only attached 1 of the 2 spring hooks
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

zacckos

• Cager in Training
  • still learning
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2014, 01:09:11 pm »
Thank you guys for the help I sort of had a go and it worked! turns out its the bolt that was loose all I had to do was take off the side stand and clean it and treat the bolt with some of that blue stuff liquid and assemble it back!
Then use a bit of shoe string to stretch the spring back on the stand
new Skill Attained!!!!

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2014, 05:42:46 pm »
Nice work :)

Ding!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2014, 05:48:24 pm »
FOC me --- shoe string!!!!! what was I pissing about at.

Are you sure you have both springs

zacckos

• Cager in Training
  • still learning
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
fazersharp the sidestand only has one spring

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2014, 02:57:23 pm »
Not mine - it has a spring inside a spring seperated by a rubber sleave. meaning I have 2 spring hooks top and bottom that go around the same hook catch.
Looks like a boxeye- foxeye difference thing then