Date: 18-05-24  Time: 07:38 am

Author Topic: Moral of the Tale .....  (Read 1978 times)

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
    • www.river-valley-guest-house.co.uk
Moral of the Tale .....
« on: 24 May 2012, 03:29:58 pm »
Well, had a rear wheel punctue at 110mph whilst on the autobahn on my fzs1000. Thank goodness it wasn't an instant blow-out. First thing I noticed was the bike pulling strongly to one side, like it does in extreme side winds. Then, moments later as I went round a moderate bend, the laws of steering physics went walkabout and it brought back memories of evil-handling pigs of bikes I had in the early seventies - except worse.

Pulled over onto the hard shoulder (why's it called that anway?), checked for cause, found nothing, rang wife to bring van and ratchet straps and an hour or so later was back home, scanning the internet for a replacement.

And the moral (in this case anyway) .... by a cheap and reliable van and you'll not regret it. I bougfht a 98 peugeot expert bog standard diesel a few months ago, for £400 including full MOT and 6 months tax (London emissions regs forcing a lot of van sales), for our three greyhounds, but it's been brilliant as a general mover/shifter and now, recovery vehicle. Guess if I sold it tommorrow, I'd get most of my money back! Not that I will.
Greyhounds Make Great Pets!

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Moral of the Tale .....
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2012, 04:25:23 pm »
Yeahbut surely a years subscription to the AA/RAC/Greenflag/etc.  has to be a lot cheaper than running even a cheap van, MOT/tax/insurance etc.

And that's not even factoring in the annual cost of running a wife to drive it...  ;)

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2012, 05:38:57 pm »
River valley moving services. You want it shifted? We shift it. Competitive rates. Tea not Included.

Costs covered :woot
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012, 05:52:39 pm »
Whats the 0-60 time for the greyhounds? :lol

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 09:15:31 am »
fair points and funny too  :lol  Out of interest, greyhounds can't do 60mph, top speed of only 45mph!  :eek , (second fastest land animal, after the cheetah), but I'd bet my house on their 0-20 being faster than any bike. They just explode, with instant traction and no wheel/leg spin!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2012, 10:34:50 am »
They just explode, with instant traction and no wheel/leg spin!

One of the benefits of Four Paw Drive!
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2012, 01:12:41 pm »
Yeahbut surely a years subscription to the AA/RAC/Greenflag/etc.  has to be a lot cheaper than running even a cheap van, MOT/tax/insurance etc.

And that's not even factoring in the annual cost of running a wife to drive it...  ;)
:agree

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2012, 05:03:35 pm »

Yeah but if he's already paying the running costs of havin a wife then the way I see it, he's just gettin his moneys worth out of her.  :lol

I need my van for work (although not much these days) but can vouch for its usefulness on several occasions. fetched my last 2 fazers home in it, got mate to ride his GSXR to my house from Malvern & come back in the van when my Fireblade broke down last year, fetched all 3 of my FZ 750s in it & my favourite, sold my last van on ebay to a bloke in York some 180 miles from me. Chucked my TRX in the back, delivered the van & charged him for the service then rode the bike home.  :D I luv vans me.

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
You got it ..... :D  I wouldn't be without one nowadays, just so useful and versatile. For what it costs - even with running costs - it's a van all the way for me (I can even use it for overnight sleep overs when visiting bike shows, or going away when I don't want to ruin the tyres on my bike on the motorways - and for escaping the wife of course  ;) )
Not for everyone of course.