Date: 04-05-24  Time: 22:37 pm

Author Topic: dead speado  (Read 4571 times)

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
dead speado
« on: 21 November 2011, 09:46:02 am »
the speado on my 1999 600 was dancing around usualy only lasts about 10 mins put now is has prity much stop registering at all it come and goes ainy thoughts or is it time for new clocks

the rev counter and fuel gauge works fine
expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: dead speado
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2011, 12:52:43 pm »
I'd suspect the speedo sensor in the hub (or damage to the cable from it) before anything else.
Did this start after having the front wheel off for a tyre change, for example? If the plastic gear that engages with the wheel isn't in the right place when it goes back on it'll break and you could end up with this sort of symptom.

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2011, 03:39:43 pm »
dont know I have got the shop where i purchest the bike from trying to source me a new speedo drive
expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2011, 03:42:24 pm »
before you buy a new spedo asm does your mileometer still register? if the meleage is still going up then it will be the speedo,if it does not then chances at could be the speed drive

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2011, 04:13:01 pm »
This reminds me of when the speedo on my 1st bike (Yamaha RXS100) died! I didnt bother to fix it even though I knew it would only take 30 mins to do it!

I got pulled up by Mr Policeman (long story so i'll cut it short) when he asked me if I knew what speed I was doing in a 40 limit i was honest n said no as my speedo was knackered! he rode my bike up n down the road as well as going over it with a fine toothcomb! but let me off with a producer n told me to get it fixed n re MOT'd within 14 days! which was cool as MOT was up at the end of the month anyway lol

Question if you replace speedo do you have to declare it when selling vehicle as wouldn't it reset the milometer to zero?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2011, 04:17:56 pm »
before you buy a new spedo asm does your mileometer still register? if the meleage is still going up then it will be the speedo,if it does not then chances at could be the speed drive
no the trip stops ticking over

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2011, 04:18:42 pm »
£130 for the speedo sensor :eek

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2011, 04:49:38 pm »
some thing i failed to mention is the speedo did have a mind of its own at one point I was doing 110 miles an hour and the bike was stood in the back garden on the side stand LOL

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2011, 06:39:54 pm »

It's not £130, more like £20 so not sure what part you're looking up there

I had mine break in the same way as described by Fazerider so got a new one fitted and hey presto....all sorted.

It happens with these bikes so i'd definately check there first but you'll need to get the front wheel off.

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2011, 07:19:35 pm »

It's not £130, more like £20 so not sure what part you're looking up there

I had mine break in the same way as described by Fazerider so got a new one fitted and hey presto....all sorted.

It happens with these bikes so i'd definately check there first but you'll need to get the front wheel off.

Where did you get one for £20 ? They are £130 from Yamaha as there electronic & NOT mechanical like on some older bikes,  just as pointer here I had to get a speedo drive for a WR250 last week & that was £89 PLUS V.A.T! From YAMAHA.

Not sure if it's any use to the O.P but im pretty certain it's the same part as fitted to the T-MAX (TP500) Scoot, they do sometimes crop up on eBay so it might help broaden your search when looking on there?
« Last Edit: 21 November 2011, 07:21:28 pm by chitsu »

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2011, 06:07:38 am »
it will be the ceramic drive dog inside the speedo sensor and they are less than £20 from new, I doubt very much if it is the sensor.
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2011, 03:36:19 pm »
bit the bullit and ordered a new sensor should be here friday or monday £120 down but saver the tryal and error

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2011, 06:56:51 pm »
It's the ceramic dog bit I was on about....I bet that's all that is broke...£20 fix

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2011, 07:09:31 am »
well i sent all morning Saurday at the bike shop they changed the parts they thought it was with no effect so returned on monday with the new part 30 mins later rode away speedo working fine 

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2011, 08:53:43 am »
What was it in the end? & how much did it cost?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2011, 04:57:52 pm »
What was it in the end? & how much did it cost?
dont know but the new speed sensor sorted it out