Date: 05-05-24  Time: 12:18 pm

Author Topic: Swingarm  (Read 1068 times)

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Swingarm
« on: 21 June 2013, 12:20:02 pm »
Guys, the numpty that had the Fazer before me has replaced one of the chain adjust bolts with a short stud and feels like it has been glued or loctite in place, it wont budge so looks like the arm has to come out to get fixed. (running out of adjustment) its that bad a bodge. Is it the typical swingarm to get out? Not a huge amount of room to work with, i did try the 2 nut trick to slacken it with no joy, any one had any similar issues with previous owners bodge jobs? Oh also not a bit of grease anywhere on the back end either!! Why do some people miss the easiest things! Grrrrrrr

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Swingarm
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2013, 02:10:46 pm »
Hello mate. I had a very similar issue with mine several years ago. I did try soaking it with WD40 overnight, then slacken and tighten several times, but ended up shearing one of the bolts in the swing arm!  :'(

I drilled the remaining stud out and recovered the thread with a tap all in situ with an extra long tap handle.  :b
Quite a fiddley job; however it saved me what could have been a fortune...  :thumbup

« Last Edit: 21 June 2013, 02:15:22 pm by fazer390 »
AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2013, 06:27:41 pm »
Yes, not difficult to remove the Fazer swingarm.  All logical as it looks, although having a manual to hand is always a good idea.

Good luck with repairs in situ ... you might be able to do it but then again, if everything is greaseless, best to give the rear end a complete check and overhaul at the same time. :)

Mike

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2013, 06:46:22 pm »
My FZS600 had a swingarm problem as well - the nimrod who had the bike before me had overtighted the axle nuts so much, there are recesses in the swingarm from it!  :eek :eek
The Deef's apprentice

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
Some heat is probs vour best bet , I had a similar issue recently with stuck brake disc studds.

marcusfordus

• CBT Wobbler
  • Back on a Yam
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2013, 03:40:40 pm »
I've done a 98 R1 swing arm chain tensioner bolt in situ. The longest thing known to man. You can do it but need a long colbalt drill bit.

Something like a Bosch Powerchange HSS that you can grip right on the end, and it still gives you the plunge depth to drill the whole bolt out.