Date: 20-05-24  Time: 03:01 am

Author Topic: Tyre sizes  (Read 2312 times)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Tyre sizes
« on: 24 November 2012, 05:59:36 pm »
Time's catching up on my old rear tyre and I'm in the market for a replacement, now I'm not interested in brands here just wondering what sizes people run. I'm thinking of switching to a different brand through a pair deal seeing as I can swap both tyres for £20 extra in some cases.

Do you stick with the recommended 110/70ZR17 on the front and 160/60ZR17 on the rear or do you mix it up and why? Is there any real danger/advantages to fitting a slightly different profile?

Also, which are the reputable online dealers?

Ta
thou shalt not kick

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre sizes
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2012, 07:12:37 pm »
rob i wouldnt go away from the standard sizes  but my 600 came with a pair of brand new maxis on them 180 rear and 120 front,not ridden with any other tyres on a fazer but i think it rides realy well and tyres have good grip in dry(try not to use bike in wet but they aint slipped in wet wen iv ad to) i usually use pirelli super corsa pros 160 and 120 on my other bikes cos i can get dirt cheap(from a mate there x race tyres ) i can ask if he got a pair left from this season if you want or you can av look at the 180/120 set up on my 98 bike if you want,if you get pair tyres off ebay or similar my pal might fit them for few beer(or should i say race!)tokens

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2012, 07:19:06 pm »
170 fits rear no problem, it is stock for other bikes of same rear rim size. I do not know how it works combined with 110 front, I put a front TRX850 wheel to allow for 120/70 too. But I did not like mixing the new front wheel with the 160 rear.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
Cheers for the offer but what I've got on at the moment will probably be grippier than a set of super corsas in this weather  :)

Interesting that your Fazer has both tyres non-standard but wider, what's the rest of the codes?
« Last Edit: 24 November 2012, 08:12:21 pm by DryRob »
thou shalt not kick

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2012, 09:12:01 pm »
il look tommorw rob,the guy i got bike off got a cracking deal on the pair of tyres (think he said around £235 +fitting) and he wanted the wide rear for looks! then never rode bike again! super corsa tyres aint bad in bit of rain but not realy wets but noting grips in tis weather with leaves,ice oil etc! iv had too many offs in wet over years to not ride much this time of year!
Cheers for the offer but what I've got on at the moment will probably be grippier than a set of super corsas in this weather  :)

Interesting that y
our Fazer has both tyres non-standard but wider, what's the rest of the codes?

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2012, 09:48:27 pm »
il look tommorw rob,the guy i got bike off got a cracking deal on the pair of tyres (think he said around £235 +fitting) and he wanted the wide rear for looks! then never rode bike again! super corsa tyres aint bad in bit of rain but not realy wets but noting grips in tis weather with leaves,ice oil etc! iv had too many offs in wet over years to not ride much this time of year!

Interesting that y
our Fazer has both tyres non-standard but wider, what's the rest of the codes?

The rest are a standard
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt023.html

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
170 fits rear no problem, it is stock for other bikes of same rear rim size. I do not know how it works combined with 110 front, I put a front TRX850 wheel to allow for 120/70 too. But I did not like mixing the new front wheel with the 160 rear.

Does that mean that a 120 tyre will not fit the standard Fazer wheel?

Was the link meant to tell me that 120/70ZR17 and 180/55ZR17 are the sizes Bridgestone recommend to fit for touring type bikes/riding?
thou shalt not kick

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2012, 03:42:11 pm »
I was answering which the rest of the codes were (these marked with stars mean they are special versions for very heavy bikes).

Most makers and models have similar figures, althought I see now that there is something weird in this Bridgestone chart: the diameter of the 160/60 is too much. Michelin has great charts, they even tell how much the tyre grows at high speed.

If you want to change tyre sizes you have to look at the rim diameter (17"), and width (3" front, 5" rear). Then compare it with the chart to see which sizes are ok for them. (Also take care of clearance -chainguard, swingarm, etc .). As I wanted a 120 front I needed a rim 3.5" width, the TRX 850 is a straight fit.

There is people who are happy fitting oversized tyres ignoring makers charts, anyway.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2012, 05:05:18 pm »
Just found this,

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=3450.0

It answers my questions regarding handling, looks like I'll have to stop being tight and stick with the original spec
thou shalt not kick

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2012, 03:32:13 pm »
Does that mean that a 120 tyre will not fit the standard Fazer wheel?
yes it will and quite happily and safely so and is far better than a 110. You can get to the edge of the rear tyre and still have plenty of rubber on the road on the front. Been using this setup for years on the commuter Fazer.