Date: 01-05-24  Time: 11:52 am

Author Topic: Gen 1 - slight clonk from rear.  (Read 2512 times)

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 - slight clonk from rear.
« on: 17 September 2012, 12:28:13 pm »
Sometimes when pulling off I can hear a little clunk from the bike.

Wheel / bearing feels OK, SLIGHT wear in swingarm bearing in an up and down motion I noticed as I loosened the axle nut prior to chain tightening.

Bike has only done 20k, so I'm a bit unsure what it is, as I did think about cush drive in passing, but that's not likely to cause a clunk is it?

any ideas / past experience?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 - slight clonk from rear.
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2012, 12:57:47 pm »
Original chain and sprockets?

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2012, 01:15:09 pm »
Not sure, front sprocket looks genuine, BUT looks in too good condition for 20k as there's no Scottoiler - mind you it must have been lubed weekly with all that crud collected.

Dunno.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2012, 01:46:40 pm »
I watch with interest, Had a click.... could be described as a clonk for a while now when i pull off. and every now and then a clicking at very low speed to or rolling the bike freehand.

I have tried time and time again to MAKE it happen and fail every time lol. i have checked sporockets, chain, alingment, slack, bearings wheel and swing. shock mounts, shock and everything inbetween.

Chain has about 14k on it now maybe a little more and is lubbed by a scotoiler
deff sounds chain related but just cant find it or make it happen at will

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2012, 03:25:55 pm »
is the chain adjusted correctly  ;)  i find on mine its a fine line between the chain hitting the palstic guide on the underside of the swinging arm and the chain being to tight  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2012, 03:27:24 pm »
Hmm, I am also interested, sounds exactly the same as mine mate.

I think I am going to order some rear wheel bearings, once I have properly check the front sprocket for being tight.

Cush drive has been suggested to me too, but I still don't think that would be knackered enough at 14 or 20k.

Unless there is something been done wrong, like torquing the caliper arm too tight without any weight on it or similar.

Must get hold of a Haynes manual for this one, centre stand makes things so much easier and the thought of doing jobs that I previously shyed away from are more likely to get done myself.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2012, 03:28:57 pm »
I have adjusted the chain twice in a week actually, tight spot has freed off, but will check that in better detail, as that is still in mind..

ghostbiker, how is your chain / sprocket condition?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2012, 03:45:36 pm »
No hook or even marked teeth front and back and chain well within spec. any tight spots it has are not tight as such just tighter than the rest, still easy to bend the chain with two fingers.
slack set same as its allways set, just touches the bottom of swing arm at tightest spot with effort

was so convinced it was chain related i even took it in to dealers to have them check it and apart from them telling me the chain was a little looser than the manual states they said it was fine and at a gusse it was about half way through its life.

oh and i also have checked the cushdrive rubbers, they are still nice and tight. as is the front and rear sprocket

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
Cush drive rubber failures are extremely unusual on the Gen 1. 

Rear wheel bearings also last much longer than 20k miles so unless you have heard/felt something to suggest they're worn or graunching, save your cash and time on those.

Take a look at the rear caliper and make sure the pads aren't sticking.  Front end 'clonks & clicks' often are down to pads rather than anything else.

My money is on the chain, though.  You've already said you've got sticky links and those will pick-up over the front sprocket.  Shame you can't say with certainty that the C&S aren't the originals because if so, they'd be approaching the end of their time.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2012, 05:06:10 pm »
Yeah, keep thinking about just getting a C&S kit to rule it out. It did have a slightly tight spot from being left parked, but it seems to have all but gone.

I tried to find it yesterday with the front cover off, but couldn't.

I am going to check and re-adjust it tonight as I have a feeling I didn't loosen the caliper bolt off enough and it could all just be trying to pull inline.

This feeling or noise didn;t happen on my first ride on the bike when I test rode it, so it could well be me rushing around trying to do things. The chain was bloody almost hanging free then though.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2012, 06:00:18 pm »
How much slack have you got in the chain now?  Should be 40 - 50mm, erring towards loose not tight. 
« Last Edit: 17 September 2012, 06:00:50 pm by Falcon 269 »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2012, 12:11:03 am »
Check the suspension linkage bearings

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2012, 10:07:04 am »
OK, I re-checked last night and the chain does have a couple of tighter sections and I think I had it a little overtight. Also properly loosened the caliper bolt and tightened it back up last.
Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I am thinking of putting on a new C&S kit and some nice premium rubber as I have a bit of cash coming my way shortly, so might get the expensive bits out the way while I can.

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2012, 12:51:10 pm »
Never had to adjust a chain on the Gen 1. They do like to run very loose. It will sit on the top of the rubber shield on the top of the swingarm at the end nearest to the front sprocket with the bike on the centrestand. With care an original chain and sprockets will do in excess of 30,000 miles.
Mike Lockyer

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2012, 12:59:25 pm »
Never had to adjust a chain on the Gen 1. They do like to run very loose. It will sit on the top of the rubber shield on the top of the swingarm at the end nearest to the front sprocket with the bike on the centrestand. With care an original chain and sprockets will do in excess of 30,000 miles.
Mike, thanks, yes I think mine was a bit tight for the tighter sections, where my bike was one of 3 the previous owner had it had sat idle for some long periods of time. It does appear to be the original set but if so has worn very well indeed. It was too loose when I bought it too, but I went too far. I normally adjust chains and then check there is still an inch of free play with me sat on the bike.
I am considering changing the set as these tighter bits don't seem to want to free up. 

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2012, 10:59:04 am »
had the same noise here, new sprockets front and back sorted it.  There wasnt any obvious wear on them but they must have been !

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2012, 06:15:54 pm »
I've just replaced the chain on my Gen 1 at 29,000 miles. TBH it wasn't completely sha**ed but the gear changing had started to get awkward and it had a bit of a tight spot. I just decided I was happy to have got so many miles out of a chain and treated the old girl to the absolutely top spec gold DID x-ring - should get another 29 out of that. Changes gear much sweeter now too. I'm surprised the chain has as much effect on that as it does.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2012, 05:08:28 pm »
I've backed mine off now and lined it up, feels the same, slightly less slick gear change but same clonk, think it is the chain engaging, looking to change it soon.