Date: 07-05-24  Time: 05:31 am

Author Topic: Rev/fuel counter madness!  (Read 1267 times)

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
Rev/fuel counter madness!
« on: 21 August 2012, 08:49:24 pm »
Just tried searching the forum for a solution but no luck, so here goes....
Been sorting this bike out today and have a couple of problems. Namely the rev counter and the other is the fuel gauge.
So firstly it idles correctly, no TPS error that I can see. However the needle sometimes when being reved gets stuck at 5K rpm! Sometimes it happens on the way up sometimes on the way down. I thought it might be the TPS setting so checked that and adjusted it (but it was reading correctly anyway!). I think it maybe a loose connector but why then does it rev past 5k and revs fine before 5k? I've also checked and syncronized the carbs today so they are working ok...hasn't stopped the sticking needle!
Additionally the problem of the fuel gauge isn't working (-related?) All other dash lights/fuel lights/speedo working fine. I have taken the float out of the tank and that is freely moving and the connectors are fine that end -it was 'half' working when I bought (aka reading in the area but not accurate) it but it was stood for some time before I filled it up. Now it just reads beyond full all the time, regardless of actul level (began doin this before I took the float out).
Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Cheers BozBoz  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rev/fuel counter madness!
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2012, 09:14:52 pm »
They have weird fuel gauges that stay above full for ages before deciding to eventually start dropping after many miles, just a quirk of the bike that you get used to.

Not sure about the 5000rpm thing, but it's a bit coincidental with a correct TPS angle reading?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2012, 09:18:19 pm »
check the block connectors for the clocks  ;) they may have come loose or in need of a clean  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2012, 09:48:19 pm »
They have weird fuel gauges that stay above full for ages before deciding to eventually start dropping after many miles, just a quirk of the bike that you get used to.

Not sure about the 5000rpm thing, but it's a bit coincidental with a correct TPS angle reading?
@darrsi:
Thanks for the reply darrsi,
Thats what I thought at first about the gauge but it stays maxed out even when theres no fuel...thats when I took the float out which is moving freely?!
I also thought the 5k was alittle too coincidental with the TPS but that is set correctly
...I'm just back up from the garage for today thought I'd test the revs by slowly increasesing the throttle -turns out the needle is jumping up and down of where it wants to be heading aka 4k will bounce down to 3.5k then up to 4.5k -thats with smooth, slow throttle....???
@red98: Thanks to you also. I plan to do so tommorow -are they the connctors in the plastic box under the tank or are there connectors under the fairing cowl that I cant see?
Again, thanks for any more help/advice with this.
Cheers BozBoz  :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2012, 11:52:10 pm »
i'd check the connector block coming off the ignition barrel as well. do your headlights flicker when the indicators are on?

you could hook up a multimeter to the back of the fuel gauge connector and move the tank up and down to check how the resistance changes as the float moves. i dont know what the correct resistances would be but i'd guess they should increase or decrease fairly linearly