Date: 30-04-24  Time: 19:14 pm

Author Topic: 26 mpg, it's a mystery, suggestions please  (Read 953 times)

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
26 mpg, it's a mystery, suggestions please
« on: 12 April 2019, 07:00:40 pm »
So I always thought my Gen.1 Fazer was a bit thirsty, i expected it to drop a bit after I fitted the Ivans Full Monty kt, ported the inlet rubbers and fitted a high flo filter but I did an 80 mile ride having brimmed my tank. I filled up when I got back and it took 13.64 litres which I make a paltry 26 mpg which I think is adequately described as horrendous. I know it's fuel injected but I spanked a Triumph Speed Triple RS demo today and it still showed over 40 mpg, other than the awful fuel consumption the bike seems to run spot on, ticks over smoothly, picks up revs quickly and pulls cleanly right to the red line on the rare occasion I venture that high up the rev range.
So any ideas oh knowledgeable ones?  :'(

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: 26 mpg, it's a mystery, suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2019, 07:12:57 pm »
could be the inlet rubbers leaking by (the o rings around the inlet valve bodies) I suppose, theres certainly anecdotal evidence of it happening on other forums. I could send you four o rings (the same ones mike uses) if you want them gratis mate, but youve obviously gotta pull the carbs to change them. at least you'll be able to check your float heights too. as a rule of thumb mines ivanised and I get 160-180 a tank depending on how im riding

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2019, 08:12:43 pm »
I'd certainly agree on the 160 to 180 miles per tank, dependent on how energetic your right hands been. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2019, 09:10:59 pm »
could be the inlet rubbers leaking by (the o rings around the inlet valve bodies) I suppose, theres certainly anecdotal evidence of it happening on other forums. I could send you four o rings (the same ones mike uses) if you want them gratis mate, but youve obviously gotta pull the carbs to change them. at least you'll be able to check your float heights too. as a rule of thumb mines ivanised and I get 160-180 a tank depending on how im riding
I'm quite happy to pay for them as I wouldn't expect you to be out of pocket as it would be worth a try, I did quite meticulously check the float levels when I did the Ivans kit a few months ago, do they go out that often? I'm slightly flummoxed as fuel consumption aside the bike runs fine, no spluttering on tick over, picks up quickly and no misfires or poor running right through the rev range?  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2019, 09:47:51 pm »

Dont be daft mate, just message me your addy ill send em over. I got a bag of fifty for less than a tenner, and as far as im aware they are up to the job (recommended by goodguy guru mike). Even if it doesn't fix it, its another thing out of the equation and problem. if you need o ring silicone grease (youll need it to get the buggers back in without damaging them)ill send a bit of that too.
No I dont think the float heights would alter from how you set them. Its gotta be carb related I would have thought.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2019, 09:57:35 pm by ogri48 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2019, 09:53:27 pm »
just a thought, if you gotta pull the carbs Anyhoo it might be worth setting them up on your bench with a fuel feed to check the float levels via four clear tubes on the float bowls. im only suggesting it because years back at mate had a similar prob on a zx7r, and it turned out his fuel levels/ float heights had to be spot on, and the only way he could do it was lots of trial and error with the clear tubes to physically see how close they were, but once hed sorted it it was absolutely pukka mate