Date: 27-04-24  Time: 10:33 am

Author Topic: FZS600 2001 - Headlight disassembly and cleaning  (Read 1734 times)

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
FZS600 2001 - Headlight disassembly and cleaning
« on: 01 July 2017, 08:10:23 pm »
Hi all

I'm trying to sort out my headlights on my new to me Fazer which I picked up a fe weeks ago.

I want to carry out the second light mod but beforehand clean up the lens interiors and reflectors.

I understood that after removing the fairing it would be possible to heat up the headlight enclosure and prise off the lens housing but I'm not seeing any movement after a bit of work with a heat gun and trim removal tool trying to work it off. The mastic seal is softening but nothing else.

Has anyone else done this and can perhaps give me a few pointers?

Appreciate any advice.

Many thanks
David

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 2001 - Headlight disassembly and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2017, 08:19:58 am »
Just need to give you a forewarning that the reflectors in these headlight units are shite at the best of times, so cleaning them isn't going to suddenly bring a new lease of life to them.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2017, 08:23:01 am »
I know you've got it in your headline on this occasion, but change your profile so we can clearly see which bike model you own so we can help much easier in the future.  :thumbup   
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2017, 01:51:50 pm »
I know you've got it in your headline on this occasion, but change your profile so we can clearly see which bike model you own so we can help much easier in the future.  :thumbup

Thanks. Have updated.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2017, 05:06:42 pm »
Just an update on this. After struggling to split the headlight last night and attempting to clean the interior via the lamp access holes and failing miserably I left it alone and approached it fresh this morning after doing a bit more internet research. I was wary of placing the whole unit in the oven for fear of melting it so removed it completely from the bike and set to again with the heat gun.
This time I warmed the unit more evenly as it was easier to access off the bike and for much longer - at least 10 minutes going around and around to really soften the mastic. Wearing gloves I was then able to prise it apart almost straight away giving me complete access to the interior. I stripped this completely and cleaned both reflectors and the black interior surround with a damp microfibre as there was quite a film of dusty muck before polishing it up with a bit of Mr. Sheen and a dry microfibre. I kept the polish off the reflectors but cleaned both lenses with a spot of Autoglym.
The dipped beam shroud on the H1 lamp was loose and upon investigation it appeared that one of the supporting posts that it sits on had worn/broken away over time allowing it to rattle about. I removed it by carefully bending the metal tabs at the rear, cleaned it and then reset it by bending the tab over the broken section in a closer manner to tighten it all back up. These tabs are quite soft and won't stand much bending so be careful if you try the same.
After a clean the whole unit looked a lot sharper. Above the H1 lamp the reflector silvering was flaking so I removed all the loose bits before reassembly. The light flow seems to be sideways rather than above so I don't think the beam pattern will be any worse but I have yet to ride the bike in the dark so all a new experience for me.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2017, 05:14:46 pm »
I've broken the post to avoid losing all my copy if the computer glitches!

After reassembly of the whole unit I again warmed it thoroughly with the heat gun and sat moulding it all back to shape until it cooled. Rather than adding more sealant I simply wrapped and sealed the edges completely with black insulation tape which moulds to the perimeter quite nicely when applied under tension.

The offside light mod I then wanted got try and yesterday bought a H4 connector from Halfords for about £3.50. Rather than use the connector I removed one of the connectors, carefully prised it open to release the short wire supplied and then refitted a longer length of black cable which I fed into the wiring box under the tank to connect up to the green wire which is in a black connector on my bike. I had a few female connectors of the correct size already in my toolbox so was able to crimp this to the new black wire and insert it into the unused outlet of the black connector to mate up with the green connector as a complete unit. It took a couple of attempts and a few tweaks of the female connector but it did work and now I have 2 dipped beams!

It has definitely got a brighter look with the cleaned reflectors so will be interested to see how it works in the dark.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has posted information on this topic in the past. Very helpful and I hope my summary will assist others in the future.

Cheers
David