Date: 19-05-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: Plugs & help  (Read 1520 times)

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Plugs & help
« on: 23 February 2012, 10:56:55 pm »
Just taken my plugs out for a clean and they don't have the terminal on the top that goes on the top of the thread. Now as I have no point of reference is this normal .

Also iridium plugs or normal ? I hear that iridium are not worth the money for the Fazer ?
« Last Edit: 24 February 2012, 08:20:58 am by Oxygen »

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Plugs
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2012, 10:59:04 pm »
Better photo

http://www.carbibles.com/images/sparkplugparts.jpg

Mine just has the bare thread

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Plugs & help
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2012, 09:03:52 am »
So do mine.
Mind you, I've NGK plug caps but from memory I'm pretty sure the OEM ones were the same.
If you hear the socket clicking over the threads as you push it on you've got contact and so don't need the little screw-on top for the plugs.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2012, 01:00:51 pm »
Just taken my plugs out for a clean and they don't have the terminal on the top that goes on the top of the thread. Now as I have no point of reference is this normal .

Also iridium plugs or normal ? I hear that iridium are not worth the money for the Fazer ?

Its normal dont worry about it.  ;)   As for them being iridium thats not standard but ok providing they are the correct range plug, waste of money in my opinion just stick to standard.   
Later

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2012, 08:56:40 pm »
Re Iridium Plugs ... no idea! but I do have some evidence that "Platinum" plugs are good.

I have a 99 Fiesta (Daughter's "Learn to drive" car) with 70K miles on the clock.
Plugs last changed at 25K - before I owned it.
It developed a misfire.
Took plugs out - They are "Platinum Plugs" - and on each bendy electrode is a little circular patch (about 1mm across) welded to the place where the spark hits.
That's supposedly where the platinum is.
Except .... 1 of the little patches is missing from plug 3!!! (its fallen off) and the electrode has eroded quite a lot. The other plugs look fine.

I replaced the eroded plug with a new NGK standard plug ... problem gone. I replaced them all anyway cos I'd bought 4 new plugs.

So its not all bollox ... even if I used to think it was.

And another thing ... Never use any plug that says "Made in England" on it (some Champions are made in the USA and they are probably OK). :rollin