Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:38 am

Author Topic: Anyone off here  (Read 3361 times)

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
Anyone off here
« on: 24 May 2015, 10:38:20 pm »
<iframe width="600" height="364" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o2Q5ldUE-u8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone off here
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2015, 11:28:25 pm »
Double decker buses can be hard to spot, especially right in front of you.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2015, 08:32:26 am »
Seen the fazer clocks
Is this glasgow?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2015, 11:19:38 am »
Looks more like Manchester to me.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2015, 01:24:03 pm »
It's Manchester, it's in the news online now.

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2015, 02:28:35 pm »
I thought it was in Cambridge, most cyclists ignore red lights and then wonder why drivers get so pissed off with them.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2015, 02:48:22 pm »
When I worked in London's Oxford Street years ago I'd see at least 3 cycle crashes a week, all their own fault.
Although taxi drivers wouldn't take any shit off them, or aid them in any way at all.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2015, 06:13:16 pm »

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2015, 02:12:30 am »
He'll probably jump the next red light.
It always makes me smile when road users point fingers, cagers admit there are bad drivers amongst them as do we bikers but there are NO bad cyclists or so they would have us believe.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2015, 11:22:47 am »
but there are NO bad cyclists or so they would have us believe.

Oh really?

I'm a cyclist as well as a biker and it pisses me off when idiots on bicycles jump lights or wear black clothing at night with no lights, however the fact of the matter is that in 99.9% of the time, they're only putting themselves at risk and they are *not* representative of most cyclists.

But that doesn't stop the "they should all be taxed and have licence plates and stick to cycle lanes" brigade trotting out their tired (and repeatedly discredited) nonsense...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2015, 05:03:55 pm »
I dunno about taxed (tax would be free anyway as its emissions based?),

I do think all cyclists who share the road with other vehicles which must carry insurance by law, should also carry insurance, and I suppose a license plate would be a way to tie it to the bike.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2015, 06:16:52 pm »
I do think all cyclists who share the road with other vehicles which must carry insurance by law, should also carry insurance

How many times has a cycle done enough to another vehicle that the cost of fixing it would be more than the excess on the policy?

and I suppose a license plate would be a way to tie it to the bike.

And where would you put the plate? Sticking out either side of the rear mudguard (assuming the bike has one)? (Great for catching on things) On the back of the seat post? (Where bikes tend to have reflectors, rear lights, puncture kits etc) On the frame downtube? (Where bike lock holders tend to be mounted? Under the cross bar? (Blocked by legs)...

What did I say about "repeatedly discredited"...?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2015, 06:30:05 pm »
How many times has a cycle done enough to another vehicle that the cost of fixing it would be more than the excess on the policy?

Ive never crashed my car or bike into another vehicle... should I not have insurance then?

Pushbikes for people getting seriously into it, as im sure you know can be bloody expensive as well - well more than enough to offset a £250-500 quid excess.

Besides, what about the hidden costs? lawyers fees when there is a dispute, someone swerving to miss a biker who has ran a red and has hit a lamppost etc. who picks up the tab for that? Insurance is there to protect all parties - and do think purely of the direct damage than can be done with a bike is just ridiculous.

And where would you put the plate? Sticking out either side of the rear mudguard (assuming the bike has one)? (Great for catching on things) On the back of the seat post? (Where bikes tend to have reflectors, rear lights, puncture kits etc) On the frame downtube? (Where bike lock holders tend to be mounted? Under the cross bar? (Blocked by legs)...

What did I say about "repeatedly discredited"...?

I didnt say it had to be a number plate in the traditional sense - it does not need to be the same colour/shape/form as the current car registration plates - simply a system of identifying a bicycle uniquely. it could just as easily follow a completely different numbering/lettering system, and does not need to be as big as the current ones as speed cameras etc do not need to read it. It would just be a method of tying someone to a bike in the case of an incident. in this age of smartphones it could as easily be a barcode/qr code.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2015, 02:40:53 pm »

Ive never crashed my car or bike into another vehicle... should I not have insurance then? [etc]

Oops, faulty analogy. Should someone who rides a skateboard or rollerskates or just runs very fast along the street also have to have insurance, then? And, following on from the rest of your post, should they also be required to have some form of licence plate?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2015, 04:22:41 pm »
Skateboards, roller skates, and runners should not be on the public highway. That's what pavements and skateparks are for.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2015, 11:40:25 pm »
Watching that video a thought came to mind - cyclist going too fast, on skinny (probably slick) tyres, in the wet, probably an oily surface, riding actually on the white lines - no grip, recipe for a big skid and not stopping.

I think that he probably didn't "ride" through the red light, he's just such a shitty rider that he didn't realise he wouldn't be able to stop at the red light.