Date: 19-05-24  Time: 03:56 am

Author Topic: That's it... I give up!  (Read 19453 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: That's it... I give up!
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2015, 03:33:14 pm »
There's a BLOKE who rides a bike around in summer a few miles from me, and he wears a skirt, blouse and a German army helmet for a lid.

He seems to get noticed, and people always stop as well, to look at him in amazement.  :eek :rollin :rollin :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2015, 04:49:52 pm »
feck---------------ive been spotted
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2015, 04:55:56 pm »
How short's that skirt darrsi? :b  A skirt should be just like the ideal PowerPoint presentation, short enough to keep you interested yet long enough to cover the essentials . . . 
Anyway having a family is no reason to quit riding, I started my family a bit late in life, (mid 30's) and I've came back to biking as I want my kids to take the occasional risk in life and to see me as someone other than an old middle aged man which is what I am!
I commute daily and I've found that leaving a bit earlier makes all the difference to the amount of traffic on the road. Also, I tend to see the same cars and you get to know who the cnuts are and avoid them. Giving a driver a nod of the head or an occasional wave if they do me a favour or move in to let me by goes a long way, makes for a pleasant journey and they tend to let you in at junctions, etc. :rollin
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 April 2015, 05:00:44 pm »
How short's that skirt darrsi? :b  A skirt should be just like the ideal PowerPoint presentation, short enough to keep you interested yet long enough to cover the essentials . . . 
Anyway having a family is no reason to quit riding, I started my family a bit late in life, (mid 30's) and I've came back to biking as I want my kids to take the occasional risk in life and to see me as someone other than an old middle aged man which is what I am!
I commute daily and I've found that leaving a bit earlier makes all the difference to the amount of traffic on the road. Also, I tend to see the same cars and you get to know who the cnuts are and avoid them. Giving a driver a nod of the head or an occasional wave if they do me a favour or move in to let me by goes a long way, makes for a pleasant journey and they tend to let you in at junctions, etc. :rollin

I ain't talking about a young fella, apparently his grandkids call him 'Nandaddy'.  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 April 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
Sounds like most of yous gave up years ago :lol

Anyway....i cant talk....ive done the grand sum of zilch miles this year so far...but i dont feel too bad about it.....i cant get 20 minutes to myself never mind a whole day of riding my bike....so ive fettled...& dismantled...destroyed stuff & spent a shit load on ebay....still bike stuff...still fun in a strange way...........actually i wonder whether it's worth me getting my bike on the road this year coz ill have to get tax,i surance & mot....for what....1000 miles that i might be lucky to grab hold of.

If im honest the bigget thing driving me to get my bike running this year is that i got a brand new Mottobat battery for it last year thats been used 1 season & been sat in the under stairs cupboard ever since & im so tight i cant bare to waste it by not using it soon incase it loses its charge :b

Risti you could sack riding for a wee bit but take apart the fazer bit by bit & service it all and grease & polish & stuff...gotta be better than just giving up biking hasnt it?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 April 2015, 08:26:35 pm »
You're not wrong Noggy, I've considered stripping it down and servicing in fully. The downpipes could do with welding and painting,  and the engine needs a clean/degrease and repainting In parts.

Think I'm going to leave off for a bit and save up for a rear shock and the various bits that need doing. Already had new PR3's and chain and sprockets. It'll be a real shame to see it go.

Decided then. It stays for the time being.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 April 2015, 09:13:29 pm »
fazersharp....you're a genius....................a machine gun disguised as an exhaust :evil

if you're after a loud horn....I got one of these for the bandit......its a big old fella and you may have to root around to fit it but my mechanic got it tucked in just inside the nose fairing near the left fork

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-black-for-cars-and-motorcycles-extremely-loud-/291439231527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43db21c227

ref the hi viz... I wear a builders waistcoat but I think the long sleeved ones offer better visibility as the "body" can be "lost" behind the screen whereas the sleeves tend to be noticeable due to your arms sticking out a bit more

having said all this.....I've had dozy cnuts pull out on roundabouts in front of our fire engine en route to a job.....two tones going/blues on/white flashing headlamps on.........sometimes you just gotta admit that no matter what you do.......there's always some clown who won't see you :'(

with others on this.....take a break, don't sell her yet

I love you just bought one!
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2015, 09:15:09 pm »
fazersharp....you're a genius....................a machine gun disguised as an exhaust :evil

if you're after a loud horn....I got one of these for the bandit......its a big old fella and you may have to root around to fit it but my mechanic got it tucked in just inside the nose fairing near the left fork

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-black-for-cars-and-motorcycles-extremely-loud-/291439231527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43db21c227

ref the hi viz... I wear a builders waistcoat but I think the long sleeved ones offer better visibility as the "body" can be "lost" behind the screen whereas the sleeves tend to be noticeable due to your arms sticking out a bit more

having said all this.....I've had dozy cnuts pull out on roundabouts in front of our fire engine en route to a job.....two tones going/blues on/white flashing headlamps on.........sometimes you just gotta admit that no matter what you do.......there's always some clown who won't see you :'(

That's exactly the same air horn I have, fitted under the left fairing infill, with a bit of jiggery pokery.
Worth every penny.  :thumbup

Darrsi

when the time comes will you tell me how to wire this up.

Cheers Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 April 2015, 09:31:53 pm »
risticuss......... may have found the solution to your problem fella  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 April 2015, 10:10:19 pm »
Risti, the side effect of having children is that you become far more aware of you own safety. I have 2 and even though they are now 24 and 30, I still worry about them.
If you look back over the past years the idiots trying to kill you were still there everyday, but you were more inclined to take it in you stride and not think about it to much. Suddenly how important your life is to a small child is takes over and all the dangers suddenly become much larger.

What woke me up to reality was coming on an accident in which 6 people including 2 children were killed in two cars stopped at a set of traffic lights in Dublin many years ago, a truck turning at the lights overturned and tipped its load onto them. The driver of the 3rd car suffered serious crush injuries.
These people would have considered themselves relatively safe in relatively safe surroundings and yet were wiped out in a split second.

It might be good to take a few weeks break if it is possible, but as to selling the bike I would say no.
We had a dilemma the month after the 9/11 disaster in; do we allow our eldest to go on the student exchange to the US or not. All the  parents met and the majority of parents allowed the kids to go including us. The reason was simple, what would we do if something happened to the school bus on the busy road to school when he should have been in the US, we would never forgive ourselves for not letting him go.
I had a serious bike crash in 2002 with a lorry and for 3 weeks after it was touch and go if I survived. 9 operations and 3 months later I left the hospital The thought of giving up the bike crossed my mind more than once yet the day I went back on it 6 weeks after coming out of hospital, I had 3 volunteers for the pillion seat.  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 April 2015, 06:31:11 am »
Sounds like most of yous gave up years ago :lol

Anyway....i cant talk....ive done the grand sum of zilch miles this year so far...but i dont feel too bad about it.....i cant get 20 minutes to myself never mind a whole day of riding my bike....so ive fettled...& dismantled...destroyed stuff & spent a shit load on ebay....still bike stuff...still fun in a strange way...........actually i wonder whether it's worth me getting my bike on the road this year coz ill have to get tax,i surance & mot....for what....1000 miles that i might be lucky to grab hold of.

If im honest the bigget thing driving me to get my bike running this year is that i got a brand new Mottobat battery for it last year thats been used 1 season & been sat in the under stairs cupboard ever since & im so tight i cant bare to waste it by not using it soon incase it loses its charge :b

Risti you could sack riding for a wee bit but take apart the fazer bit by bit & service it all and grease & polish & stuff...gotta be better than just giving up biking hasnt it?

Trickle charge the battery every now and again, that's how they're designed to function anyway, being charged daily via the bike.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 April 2015, 06:31:47 am »
You're not wrong Noggy, I've considered stripping it down and servicing in fully. The downpipes could do with welding and painting,  and the engine needs a clean/degrease and repainting In parts.

Think I'm going to leave off for a bit and save up for a rear shock and the various bits that need doing. Already had new PR3's and chain and sprockets. It'll be a real shame to see it go.

Decided then. It stays for the time being.

:woot :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 April 2015, 06:43:32 am »

That's exactly the same air horn I have, fitted under the left fairing infill, with a bit of jiggery pokery.
Worth every penny.  :thumbup

Darrsi

when the time comes will you tell me how to wire this up.

Cheers Nick

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 April 2015, 09:01:41 am »
That 2nd drawing is much easier to understand.
But my stebel magnum was a straight swap - no relay bu I just had to bend a peice of metal into a "L" shape bracket and used the origional horn mounting holes and it is all tucked under the fairing, not air horn loud but much louder than the OEM

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #39 on: 23 April 2015, 09:30:01 am »
I kinda know where you're coming from. Got two kids myself (age 8 & 6) and I ride through East & Central London every day, and yes, it's a stressful ride at times. Admittedly I only started riding when the kids were toddlers and sleeping through the night, so not as bad as having a babbie. I'm going to echo most of the tips already said, but in my experience I found these help:

Don't ride after a sleepless night or when run down, you just make stupid mistakes and don't spot obvious things idiots are about to do. Take alternative transport or work from home if you can.

High viz certainly isn't going to make things worse. Although there are arguments for wearing as much solid colour as possible, rather than breaking silhouette into many coloured areas. I currently have a Fluro helmet which I think helps.

A loud air horn like the Nautilus really is useful. I use this a lot and really makes a difference!  Loud cans also really work too.

When I first began riding, I was always opting for too high a gear. Especially in heavy traffic ride in lower gears, keep revs in mid range: 4-8k odd. Then you make more noise so more noticeable and you've got more acceleration and engine braking on hand if you need it. 

Gear up. Wear as much blinking armour and protection as you can. Get decent waterproofs, layers, heated gear for the shit weather days. If you're cold or wet, your concentration lapses, which you can't afford to let happen.

Consider a helmet cam. So when you do have an incident, there's no messing about with liability, made up witness and other such shite that just causes on going stress for months, years afterwards.

I've no idea how much riding experience you have, but consider a BikeSafe or IAM course to bone up further on riding defensively and safely. It may not be super exciting, but it all helps and makes you think more about how you can possibly ride better.

Don't give up on the bike entirely, when you're little 'uns get a bit older then bike really helps get you around quick enough to work around childcare arrangements. It's only with my works flexi working hours and the bike that I can get to/from childcare in time to make it doable to have both of us working. Just wouldn't be possible via tube/car.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 April 2015, 11:18:51 am »
I read somewhere --- or dreamt it or am making it up, but because the yellow high viz is so common it gets "dialed out by the brain" as normal in the environment , but if you have a pink high vis the brain reconciles that as different and so registers it and gets seen better

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #41 on: 23 April 2015, 11:26:14 am »
I read somewhere --- or dreamt it or am making it up, but because the yellow high viz is so common it gets "dialed out by the brain" as normal in the environment , but if you have a pink high vis the brain reconciles that as different and so registers it and gets seen better

A couple of years ago I was riding whilst on holiday in Devon and a guy was wearing green hi-viz jacket and trousers whilst pruning a hedge on the side of the road.

It wasn't until he moved that I actually saw him because it was acting as camo!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 April 2015, 11:33:53 am »
think that's more urban myth due to the amount of hi viz about, but ask yourself this.........did you spot the roadies laying tarmac on a busy road or the cop with speed gun.......I bet the answer is yes because you saw the hi viz first.........just my two penny worth

advanced riders/drivers use the Police Roadcraft book and the system is called IPSGA
Information, position, speed, gear, acceleration

the info bit runs through each stage and this is the bit most riders/drivers aren't upto scratch with......you constantly take in and give out info (TUG>take use give) and once you switch onto this then you're riding skills will become better......in the advanced world, the word SUDDENLY doesn't exist

.......the car suddenly appeared.......TUG that car and you'll alter position accordingly long before you need to maybe slam on

get on Bike safe/IAM skills for life/RoSPA courses.......you won't look back ;)
fire never sleeps

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 April 2015, 11:36:44 am »
green cammo and a hedge :'(

google "Looming" and "motion camouflage" to understand why we have Smidsy's
fire never sleeps

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 April 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
Hi viz has its place failing light extra , but I will never be convinced it has any real benefit in daylight after being covered in the stuff while instructing and still having vehicles pull into my path  :o 
At worse some riders substitute it for good obs and position  :rolleyes
Its just a ride

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 23 April 2015, 01:43:35 pm »
think that's more urban myth due to the amount of hi viz about, but ask yourself this.........did you spot the roadies laying tarmac on a busy road or the cop with speed gun.......I bet the answer is yes because you saw the hi viz first.........just my two penny worth

advanced riders/drivers use the Police Roadcraft book and the system is called IPSGA
Information, position, speed, gear, acceleration

the info bit runs through each stage and this is the bit most riders/drivers aren't upto scratch with......you constantly take in and give out info (TUG>take use give) and once you switch onto this then you're riding skills will become better......in the advanced world, the word SUDDENLY doesn't exist

.......the car suddenly appeared.......TUG that car and you'll alter position accordingly long before you need to maybe slam on

get on Bike safe/IAM skills for life/RoSPA courses.......you won't look back ;)

Missed the cops with the speed gun.....TWICE.....in the same place.  :'(

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 April 2015, 02:29:25 pm »
Hi Vis isn't always great, depends on the surroundings.....

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #47 on: 23 April 2015, 04:00:58 pm »

Yep, that's pretty much the sort of situation I described above!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23 April 2015, 06:30:00 pm »

Yep, that's pretty much the sort of situation I described above!

Hence the reason pink is actually a colour that would generally show up well, unless you're anywhere near Katie Price's motors!

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 23 April 2015, 08:25:35 pm »
Don't give up, unless you are certain you'll have no regrets.

Liz and I both kept our bikes when the kids came along and were growing up.

As soon as they were able, we took them with us on rides (even two-week continental tours) and we got then off-road bikes.

When our youngest was 10 he did his first Nurburgring laps as my pillion - a lot of people said I was crazy (usually after we'd flown past them), but you can't wrap either yourself, or your kids in cotton wool and stop living.

Do I have regrets - not many - we managed to keep doing what we enjoyed and then found our kids enjoyed doing the same things.

My only advice would be to always and continuously, assess the risks and act accordingly. The benefit of what we did is that we now have kids (20yrs & 25yrs old) who love spending time with us and who ride/drive with us ( and not like lunatics). On bikes they know that the track is the only place to speed, and that the road is a place to be alert and wary.

Hopefully nothing bad ever happens to them (or us) - but they're the risks we take to "live", rather than just "survive".

Cool kids eh -   (Oh bugger, first two pics are massive scale,  don't know why !!)

« Last Edit: 23 April 2015, 08:30:28 pm by Millietant »