Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:47 pm

Author Topic: Heated grips  (Read 3418 times)

highlander

• Cager in Training
  • Be good, stay happy
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Heated grips
« on: 22 December 2014, 08:36:52 am »
Good morning folks.
Probably a question that's been asked plenty of times this year but I'd like your opinions please.
Which type or make of grips would you recommend? I fancy buying a set & would like to find out other people's experiences.
Cheers

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2014, 09:25:10 am »
I'm not far off getting a new set soon as well, my grips are getting a bit worn although in fairness they've lasted years, not sure what brand they were?

There are plenty out there, I would avoid buying the cheapest, and make sure you get some that have at the very least a low and high switchable setting on, you don't just want a straight on or off set.
And wire them into your ignition, do not wire them straight to your battery, because you WILL forget to turn them off one day and drain your battery.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2014, 09:29:29 am »
Oxford expensive but lasrt for years and you DO wire them direct to battery as have a low voltage cut out on them
so great grips easy to wire and last a long time but expensive
others tat spring to mind
biketek
R&G
Keis and i think all three have the low voltage cut out so if you leave on then once battery drops to below 12.3 they cut off thus saving battery
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2014, 09:46:24 am »
Oxford expensive but lasrt for years and you DO wire them direct to battery as have a low voltage cut out on them
so great grips easy to wire and last a long time but expensive
others tat spring to mind
biketek
R&G
Keis and i think all three have the low voltage cut out so if you leave on then once battery drops to below 12.3 they cut off thus saving battery

Surely that fact you've definitely turned them off at the ignition is the more logical way to go, saving as much battery as possible, especially in really cold weather?

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2014, 10:25:46 am »
no if you get oxford ones and wire them up to ignition it fks them up lol, the battery will never drop below a point that you cant start bike etc 2 wires to battery simples
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2014, 11:49:21 am »
no if you get oxford ones and wire them up to ignition it fks them up lol, the battery will never drop below a point that you cant start bike etc 2 wires to battery simples

Apparently so, I just had a look.
I've always wired mine through the ignition without any issues, it just seemed to make sense, Oxford have obviously addressed the problem, no doubt for the very reason that people left them switched on all the time.  :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2014, 12:17:51 pm »
They also come in a variety of types now - they do sport ones which are much thinner than normal and don't really feel like chunky heated grips to be honest, or touring ones, which are slightly thicker and have gel bits for added comfort!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2014, 12:30:03 pm »
They also come in a variety of types now - they do sport ones which are much thinner than normal and don't really feel like chunky heated grips to be honest, or touring ones, which are slightly thicker and have gel bits for added comfort!

I personally wouldn't go thinner, simply because they'll wear out quicker.
I remember years back I had a pair of gloves with quite a rough textile on the palms that ate into the grips really quickly as well.
Each to their own though.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2014, 01:38:08 pm »
I've got the R&G ones, five years old and still going strong.

I soldered the positive to the live off the rear brake light switch.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2014, 05:05:41 pm »
Dont get Daytona grips. High setting is too high, and low setting is useless unless you have muffs.

R&g are supposed to be good. I hope so, just ordered some!

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
I have the datatool heated grips, simple slider on one grip to operate the heat temp and wire direct to battery, quick heat up time and nice n warm....

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2014, 06:19:59 pm »
+1 for Datatool, no need to remove hand from bars to adjust heat when on the move, won't flatten battery as automatic cut out built in and comes with a two year guarantee.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2014, 07:58:07 pm »
+1 for Datatool, no need to remove hand from bars to adjust heat when on the move, won't flatten battery as automatic cut out built in and comes with a two year guarantee.
Oxford have auto cut out  Daz, switch control on handlebars too so can keep contact with bars while adjusting temp.   Whatever set you get adjustments should always be made before or after and not during whizzing around the twisties or splitting lanes  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2014, 10:37:49 pm »
I've got the hein gericke ones, which are 100% exactly the same as the Oxford ones.
Fine for spring to autumn.

Didn't wire them direct to the battery, just wouldn't entertain that.  Works just fine.  The first controller I had would cut out on a low tick over, but after years that controller failed and the second one never cuts out unless of course you switch it off.

And as they are effectively little heaters, so draw a bit of current, I wired them to one of the spare switched lives in the fuse box.  So no worries about leaving em switched on and no dodgy wiring mods.

There's a good guide to fitting on the old forum, which if you scroll down I added some decent snaps on how to access the spare live in the fuse box.  Gen1 fuse box but they are all probably similar.

Link here - http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/5650/HOWTO-Fit-your-heated-grips-PICS-BACK#.VJibX_8YHM

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2014, 12:44:23 am »
I also have Oxford Heated grips.

I can't stand the heat on maximum. I usually have them at no more than 50%. So yeah. They're effective.

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2014, 09:51:34 am »
I've got R&G and also had them on the Bandit. Cheap as chips, easy to fit and work well, though they had a batch about 2-3 years ago that didn't warm up much (I assume that's sorted now?)

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2014, 10:58:07 am »
The best ones I have ever used are BMW's. Trouble is, you'll have to buy the rest of the bike too!!   :rollin
« Last Edit: 24 December 2014, 10:58:38 am by MEM62 »

raymondcallaghan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2014, 09:22:00 pm »
I have the oxford touring grips on my fazer as no need to cut or trim to size,
100 per cent is too hot so 50 or 75 per cent is great, I wired the from relay with ign feed to safeguard battery.

Raymond