Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:10 pm

Author Topic: Eurotunnel - Does anyone on here work for them?  (Read 870 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Eurotunnel - Does anyone on here work for them?
« on: 12 June 2014, 09:00:59 am »
I recently booked on there with a van and was told that if I filled the van more than half full (3 cubic meters) I would have to go on the freight service even though the van was full of personal stuff for our place out there.

Seems discriminatory as the reason given was fire safety etc but they allow cars towing box trailers on the passenger service even though those trailers can be bigger than 3 cubic metres.

I have sent an email to them asking why but thought I might get a more sensible (or funnier) answer here.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Eurotunnel - Does anyone on here work for them?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2014, 09:14:34 am »
Used to work in the freight department at ET a looooong time ago. Since various incidents -- and especially since that awful fire -- the H+S regs are extremely tight BUT they're there for your safety. I agree that it may not make much sense but I'm sure there's a reason for it. The contents of your load may also have a bearing on their decision.

Would it work out cheaper than freight if you split the load over two vehicles? What if you put some of the load on your passenger seat? Or, what if you ingested some of the load using condoms and took laxatives at your destination?!
« Last Edit: 12 June 2014, 09:21:22 am by wickedmonkey »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Eurotunnel - Does anyone on here work for them?
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2014, 09:39:03 am »
Wicked - Safety I can understand if it is consistent. A van full of furniture etc may be flammable but no more so than a trailer full of furniture which is still allowed on the passenger service.
Also, I was travelling with my 13 year old son. Lucky he wasn't 11 as they wouldn't have let us on the freight service if he was!!
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again