Date: 30-04-24  Time: 12:26 pm

Author Topic: Storing the bike  (Read 4085 times)

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Storing the bike
« on: 13 October 2013, 02:31:13 pm »
Hi all. My bike is going to be going into storage for the winter. Whats the best way to store it, any hints and tips?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Storing the bike
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
try and keep the bare minimum of fuel in it, in case it goes "off" over the winter.

disconnect the battery or fit an optimate
« Last Edit: 13 October 2013, 02:40:15 pm by mickvp »

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2013, 02:47:16 pm »
Hi all. My bike is going to be going into storage for the winter. Whats the best way to store it, any hints and tips?
....i always put a bit of old carpet under me tyres after letting them down abit!..put fuel stabilizer in tank,i use putolene,i 500ml bottle does 5gall i think?...best filling tank to brim to keep out condensation etc before putting in additive ;) ...run engine for about 5 to 10 mins so new fuel with stabilizer gets into carbs!!...make sure bikes nice and clean/dry,give paintwork a good polish but dont buff till you next use it?..then give it a good spray of acf50...job done!!....oh and dont f,get to cover it up!! ;) ps if got optimate use it? keep battery up for alarm!!

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2013, 02:53:01 pm »
What does the stabiliser do buddy?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2013, 03:03:45 pm »
What does the stabiliser do buddy?
....stops the fuel going off!!...keeps it fresh for up to two years,or so it says?...ive only tried it up to 12months and it was fine?...i also use it in my lawnmower does the trick!! ;) also if you have any water in the bottom of tank it gets rid of it and stops condensation reapearing and rusting your tank!!....costs about £7.00 but well worth it,acf50 is around £12/14 a tin but that goes along way?spray it all over for full protection!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2013, 03:04:32 pm »
Why let tyres down a bit - wont that just add to deforming the shape if left with weight on it. Maybe not so bad with a centre stand as the back is off the ground and there is only a bit on the front I supose.
And why not ride in the winter - there are plenty of good dry days to be had
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2013, 03:23:19 pm »
Why let tyres down a bit - wont that just add to deforming the shape if left with weight on it. Maybe not so bad with a centre stand as the back is off the ground and there is only a bit on the front I supose.
And why not ride in the winter - there are plenty of good dry days to be had
....read somewhere that by letting the tyres down a few psi,s relaxes the rubber so as to help with the walls and in between the treads to stop cracking and perishing!! i used to do it with my caravan tyres when not being used for months at a time and it worked for that!! ....i have a norton commando in storage and its been there for years and the tt100 dunlops are still like new so it must work!!...the carpet idea just stops any damp getting into the rubber!....and yes i suppose it wouldnt hurt to lift the front wheel?...but ive never bothered! and they been fine?
« Last Edit: 13 October 2013, 03:29:51 pm by CRH »

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2013, 03:36:57 pm »
I usually try and start mine up and let it run until the fan cuts in every 4 to 6 weeks in the winter if the bike is not used and then once its cooled cover it over with some old velvet curtains (no tassels)
Andy

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2013, 03:42:52 pm »
I usually try and start mine up and let it run until the fan cuts in every 4 to 6 weeks in the winter if the bike is not used and then once its cooled cover it over with some old velvet curtains (no tassels)
Andy
...velvet curtains?..posh foccer!! :lol ....i find that if you do what your doing the engine oil tends to emulsify and goes milky after a while?...so i stopped doing it!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2013, 04:03:09 pm »
Andy

Obviously there's some significance to the reference to not using velvet curtains with tassles? Intrigued! And does a particular colour of curtain work better? Patterns? Do they have to match my smoking jacket and slippers? Hmmmm, Jeeves, we're changing the curtains!  :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2013, 04:27:01 pm »
one would assume its because the tassels might damage the paintwork? either way, sounds like a bit of kinkiness to me.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2013, 04:31:28 pm »
one would assume its because the tassels might damage the paintwork? either way, sounds like a bit of kinkiness to me.
....ide have them around the top of me bike boots but red98,s thou is faster than my 6..and he,d end up catching me? :b :b :b :b :b :b .......

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2013, 04:56:12 pm »
I find a pale mushroom shade works the best but then thats the only colour I have......l know what you mean about the oil emulsifying but I was hoping that if I run it for 30min or so and the fan has cut in then everthing would be hot enough not to get the condensation. Being a bit of a wuss I don't use the bike in winter very often but do try and get out on few dry days we get as I tend to think most thing last longer if they are used occasionally rather than just left. If only I could persuade the wife in to this way of thinking, lol..
Andy

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2013, 05:11:42 pm »
best thing to do is drain the carb bowls so they dont foul with crap fuel. Then when you bring it out of storage (if its a couple of months or more), change the oil and put fresh fuel in. As long as the battery is good then it should be fine.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2013, 07:16:56 pm »
best thing to do is drain the carb bowls so they dont foul with crap fuel. Then when you bring it out of storage (if its a couple of months or more), change the oil and put fresh fuel in. As long as the battery is good then it should be fine.
....thats a good thing to do if you not using fuel stabilizer?...but using it makes it unnecessary !! as long as when you put it in your tank you run your engine for 5 to 10 mins to allow the carbs to fill with it?...any traces of water etc will be binded up!!....as for changing the oil it would be best doing that before laying up for winter as long as you dont start it!! reason being the acidity in the oil caused by starting and stopping and not running up to enough temp!!..which also causes the oil to emulsify!!...

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
Don't know how ye can park it up for months. Haven't had mine for the last week so I've been swerving through traffic on the bicycle to get my fix :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2013, 08:40:50 pm »
CURTAINS   :eek ........the worst cover to use..just going to hold all the moisture in,a breathable cover is what you need and both wheels off the ground and start up once a week..........worse thing you can do with anything mechanical is not use it................if you cant use it get a friend to run it for you  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2013, 08:54:48 pm »
Ok yes breathable cover sounds good, there are some on e bay for less than £20. Any suggestions / recommendations?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2013, 09:03:58 pm »
Ok yes breathable cover sounds good, there are some on e bay for less than £20. Any suggestions / recommendations?
...indoor quilted ones are good? ;) ...got one on me norton!!....£12 to15 ebay!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2013, 09:15:46 pm »
Don't know how ye can park it up for months. Haven't had mine for the last week so I've been swerving through traffic on the bicycle to get my fix :lol
Is that camchain sorted yet?  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2013, 09:36:45 pm »
I think that the rubber cracking issue is more to do with the daylight/ sun on them, or is it the atmosphere as my car spare has just been replaced almost no tread wear (was used once) 7 years old and kept in a cage under the car and it was foc'd - all cracked up and it wasn't a cheep one either, or was it because it was pumped up---now im thinking.
Anyway fuel additives draining the carbs it all seems a faff, and as for running it until the fan comes on why don't you just run it with you on it- round the block. I do less mileage than most but I do them all year round so long as its dry and the roads are not white from dry salt.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
Is that camchain sorted yet?  :lol

Yeah sorted now thanks.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 October 2013, 11:43:42 am »
Mine was in the shed for 5 months last winter....worst winter ever!!!!....i filled up with super unleaded to the brim & added some fuel stabiliser......disconnected the battery & stored in the house cupboard after a good 24 hour charge with a basic charger.

Put on the center stand.

I didnt start up the bike one single time in all those months.

Bike fired up straight away at the end of it & run totally fine.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 October 2013, 01:13:18 pm »
The only downside to starting it up occasionally in very cold weather is condensation in the oil, it can cause mayo to form on your oil cap which is worrying if you've never seen it before because you think you have a gasket leak.
Basically the bike doesn't get hot enough to burn it off properly.
Other than that it's good to start it to keep the battery in shape, unless you've taken it off the bike.
The only time i won't ride is snow and ice, 'cos i can't get out of my own road as the sun doesn't hit the road until late afternoon then it's dark within 2hrs, and i would be very focced off if i stacked it next to home so i just won't risk it, it's not worth the aggro.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.