Date: 19-05-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: Tyre Question(again!)  (Read 1891 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Tyre Question(again!)
« on: 17 May 2013, 07:22:37 am »
My 03 Foxeye is currently riding on: Front-Bridgestone BTO10 Battlax which was fitted immediately prior to purchase 6 wks ago (by seller) and although a "new" tyre carries a manufacture date of week 16 year 2003!
Rear is shod with a B/stone BTO23 made week 2  year 2010.-plenty of tread left/good condition.
Cant find any reference to the BTO10 so looks like a its been discontinued a while?
Two questions for all you tyre gurus:  1)   Is this a safe mix?  2) Is it OK to use a "new" tyre made 10 years ago?
The BTO10 has a "harder"  feel to it than the BTO23 and has a different tread pattern/construction.
Have always understood/believed its best to use matched pairs .
Havent had the pleasure of riding the bike in wet yet with present tyre mix & I have a niggling doubt about the fronts suitability/safety. Over to all you tyre gurus! :eek
Oh yes one more question: What  is a reasonable price for  a  BTO23 110/70 ZR17 M/C (54W) if I take the wheel to fitter? (Local Yamaha dealer quoted £122 ride in/ride out!!!! :eek ) Needless to say wont be taking their offer up!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre Question(again!)
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2013, 10:23:19 am »
I think the BT010 was a Sports tyre so should have pretty good dry grip but take it steady in the wet :) The BT012, BT016 then the S20 have subsequently replaced each other over the years.

Not sure on the tyres suitability being 10 years old, someone else I'm sure will answer that. Not having matched pairs depends on the tyres really but I wouldn't have thought there would be much issue with your current setup. Regarding the harder feel, I'd be tempted to check over your tyre pressures and adjust if necessary.

As for pricing, you can get a BT023 front delivered for about £70 then take it to your local place for fitting for probably no more than £15-20

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2013, 10:30:04 am »
I never have matched tyres, it's just a matter of personal choice.
As far as the older tyre is concerned, i'd say as long as there isn't any visible degradation, as in cracks, then it should be fine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2013, 08:11:20 pm »
Update Have ordered a BT023 from my local tyre dealer-its where I get my "cage"tyres & hes quoted a good price. The BTO10 that's currently on bike feels  hard- almost like one of those Cheng Shin Chinese tyres they fit to YBR 125s as original equipment-very hard nylon type rubber and totally u/s in the wet or over manholes etc :eek . Should be here Mon. am so will get it fitted pronto ready for Wales trip in fortnight  :lol

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2013, 08:44:13 pm »
Good to hear you have made your choice the Bt-010 was replaced by BT-014 but you have the uptodate sport tourer that should give you a longer life span on the road and what I have heard a very good ride in all conditions.

The man from Bridgestone says:
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=9.0

Daz

She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2013, 01:04:04 am »
Get rid of a ten year old tyre, you obviously have doubts, no matter what anyone says on a forum you personally will still have doubts so just change it.
As for mixing tyres- not a problem!
Some say...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2013, 05:44:43 am »
Thanks dBfazer600 for pointing me in the direction of the Bridgestone info-interesting reading & confirms my feeling that inadvisable to use BTO10  Front with BTO23 Rear-Also Punkstig-yes I was never going to be entirely happy using this "mix & match" as I am more interested in all round grip wet & dry and am more of a "tourer" than "scratcher" these days :lol

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2013, 09:33:12 am »
Michelin pilot road 3's are my choice!
Some say...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2013, 03:13:08 pm »
The Baron proves my point too-

http://youtu.be/eLPQSrwGxpY

12000 miles on a litre bike and good enough for track days!
Some say...

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2013, 05:51:38 pm »
Ye, was watching that baron video last night.

I've never tried the PR3's but the only thing that puts me off is the front tyre looks rubbish... The back one looks ok though. Obviously this is a purely cosmetic thing and they get great reviews from anyone who's tried them so I'll maybe try them as my next set of tyres.  8)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

WookieoToole

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJR 1300 x 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2013, 12:06:22 am »
Chris i spent some of last year gallopping around Eire for a week 2 up with panniers on me 10 plate XJR --we did 2k miles in a week on pilot road 3's --BELTING rubber only down side is the DO slow the stearing a bit -- however wear rate was about average got 5k out of rear and I DONT ride easy -- even in the wet I was able to grind the auld hero blobs on the pegs  :eek  [no ah didnt fall orf lmao ]
Prior to this I have always ran metzler Z6 or * lately and they to are a CRACKING hoop with a better wear rate -
The only tyre i would NOT advise to anyone is the MAXXIS diamond -- Frelling disaster !!!!!!¬ :eek :eek :eek :'(
As for mix matching tyre -- have done it off and on for 30+ yrs and aint EVER had any worrys --
TTFN
WoOk  ;)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2013, 07:22:51 pm »
Collected nice new BTO23 Monday & had it fitted yesterday. Took bike out for spin this pm & "feels" better already. So if anyone wants a ten year old BTO10......!!!!!!! :eek ....otherwise its going to the recycling place!