Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:56 am

Author Topic: Clutch question  (Read 935 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Clutch question
« on: 06 August 2020, 10:52:30 pm »
Now this may just be poor riding on my part but recently I've started to notice that I struggle to drop more than 1 gear without having to release the clutch a little?
 So say I want to go from 5th down to 2nd, I pull in the clutch lever, push down on the shifter twice but the second movement has no effect until i release the lever slighty which makes the bike drop into 4th then i can knock it down into third, but not second until i repeat the process. Its always done this every now and again but these days its getting more and more frequent
Im just wondering if this is something that can be fixed with a cable adjustment? Or is it possibly a sign of clutch wear? Or is it just me being too shitty with my down shifts?
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 07:30:59 am by Dudeofrude »

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2020, 11:45:38 pm »
I do this a lot if you've come rushing up to lights in top and haven't bothered changing down one by one so you just bang the lever down holding the clutch in and I've also had it not go through all the gears and then it will on another occasion as if your catching the selector drum off guard somehow,I must admit I haven't noticed it getting worse,maybe your sometimes in "idle" mode. :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2020, 08:18:29 am »
It's very rare that I need to go from 5 to 2 in one go unless its an almost emergency stop situation or like coffee says a last min change of mind about some lights but when that happens I am aiming for 1 first gear or neutral because I am coming to a stop but I do find that I am sort of lost as to what gear I am in and neutral is tricky to find unless - as you say I first release the clutch a little. Sounds normal for the gear box to me. I'm sure you are not needing to stop unsuspectingly all the time and its just a habit that you have got into.When down shifting I always "blib" in-between gears.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2020, 09:27:27 am »
are you actually coming of the gear lever properly? if not, it wont change down. Usually when in a hurry, this is the cause.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2020, 09:44:53 am »
I reckon all my bikes have done that, normally have to release the clutch a little to go down further, certainly the fazer has always been like that since ive had it, 5 years now

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2020, 09:48:42 am »
Blip the throttle as you change down  ;)
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2020, 03:53:21 pm »
Thanks guys, glad its just me being shit and not a mechanical issue haha
I do blip the throttle when I'm dropping gears planned well ahead this is just on them occasions when (as some of you mentioned )something like light changing quicker then you thought or a turning coming up soon then you realise and you slam the anchors on then have to change down the box quickly  (call me Mr Mechanical Sympathy 😅)

I think I noticed it more my last few rides out as I've started taking my daughter out on the back so my concentration is a bit all over the place. I've never had a pillion before so I'm still getting used to her being there and also trying to be conscious of how smooth I accelerste/brake/change gear etc
The hardest part I've found is how far my braking distances have increased by, hence the sudden heavy braking haha
I will just have to get more practice in .
Cheers 🍻
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 04:25:07 pm by Dudeofrude »