Date: 01-05-24  Time: 04:05 am

Author Topic: Which Heated Grips Please  (Read 1880 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Which Heated Grips Please
« on: 01 October 2014, 04:49:47 pm »
Hiya fellas,

As per title, getting my bike ready for the winter and just wondering which ones to fit (got muffs to back them up).

I've got the Oxford grips on the Tiger with no complaints.........buuuuuuut the R&G ones are literally half the price.

Any pros & cons appreciated.

Cheers
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

trpFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Which Heated Grips Please
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2014, 05:02:25 pm »
I have Oxfords on my bike and had them on 2 previous bikes also and never had a problem . A friend of mine opted for the R&G ones due to cost difference and had problems with them heating up and had the dealer that fitted them change the switch. They were fine after that though. Could have just been bad luck.
Rich

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2014, 05:49:10 pm »
I went for datatool grips, straight to battery, the electrics in the grips sort it all out for you, nice toasty hands  :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
I remember being in J&S clothing store years ago and they sold about 3 types of heated grips, but on closer inspection one set was identical to the Oxford ones but in different packaging and also cheaper.
When I queried it the fella in the shop quietly admitted they were the same thing.
I've always found Oxford stuff way over priced anyway.
Dunno which ones I've got but they've served me well and will also need changing too when I can be arsed, but i've had a good few years out of them.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2014, 06:42:11 pm »
I have always used Oxford ones myself and they have been reliable (if wired straight to the battery that is).
Had some Datatool ones on my XJR which worked ok but I found it difficult to tell if they were switched on or not due to light location.

If I was buying again I would get Oxford ones, but that's my personal choice I suppose.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2014, 08:19:47 pm »
Apparently the first generation R&G ones were fantastic but they changed something on them and they're not as good.
I've had several different makes and Oxford were the longest lasting and hottest I've had, I now use heated gloves!
« Last Edit: 02 October 2014, 08:16:42 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2014, 08:34:59 pm »
I have had Oxfords and R&G. The Oxfords were warmer and felt like they warmed up quicker but I had two switches fail in 3 years.The  R&G ones were still on my gen1 when I sold it and had been on for 3 years and were still working.
Like you I am looking to fit a pair very soon but cannot decide which to get. The R&G ones are cheap compared to Oxford but my experience with the switch failures on the Oxford ones makes me think that cheap might be the way to go,

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2014, 11:52:10 pm »
The rebranded oxford ones are called roxter. I have them on the fazer and they work fine. 3 years in Scottish weather is not an easy thing to overcome either.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

tc330

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ktm950sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2014, 07:20:15 am »
I've used both. Oxford switches seem to last about 20,000 miles/ one year, whereas the grips last forever. R&g , so far have lasted 4 years with No problems. There are various different brands using the same grips as r&g, with varying prices.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2014, 10:16:07 am »
I like the OE ones on my 1200RT.  The heated seat is nice too :-))

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2014, 10:21:02 am »
I've had 2 sets of R&G. The first were bought about 4 years ago for another bike. They would go so hot, they were uncomfortable......brilliant.
I bought another set last year and they were luke warm at best. After doing a bit of research, I found out that they had a period of manufacture where loads were crap (probably moved production to somewhere far East with cheap labour). I sent them back and the replacements are fine. Still not as hot as the original set though.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2014, 09:24:43 pm »
Cheers for all the advice fellas - pretty much my thoughts/experience (of Oxford) and I'm none the wiser. :lol

Had 2 replacement switches over 18 months on the Oxfords on the Tiger and I've worn the grips down to nigh on feck all.

The Oxfords have always been toasty and had soft/good grip. Essentially looking for 2 sets so reckon I'll try the R&G on the Fazer (hand muffs to back up) and Oxford Touring jobbies on the Tiger due to the good heat they produce.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.