Date: 29-03-24  Time: 15:23 pm

Author Topic: My Winter Ride Out - UPDATED WITH PICS.  (Read 2780 times)

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
My Winter Ride Out - UPDATED WITH PICS.
« on: 09 February 2014, 10:41:56 pm »
Had enough of this weather so am flying out of Heathrow on Thursday for a 12 day tour based in Cape Town.

Going with this lot:

http://www.sa-motorcycle-tours.com/

Will try to post up some pics when I get back if I can recover from the thermic shock involved - currently 33 degrees out there with "BRILLIANT SUNSHINE". Oh well, guess I will manage......

Laters!

Whale
« Last Edit: 02 March 2014, 09:58:00 am by The Male Whale »
On the Gas! :stop

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
Re: My Winter Ride Out
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2014, 08:10:30 am »
lucky foccer i froze me balls off yesterday managed 45mins before calling it a day.

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2014, 09:45:56 am »
Enjoy, been lucky enough to been sent to that part of the world twice in the last 18 months by work. Been to Addo Elephant park make sure you get there early morning or at sunset when all the more interesting animals (carnivores) are awake. Never been as close to really wild animals as there.

Lucky Foccer

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2014, 01:56:33 pm »
Looking forward to reading all about your trip?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2014, 05:28:34 pm »
lucky foccer indeed !

have a great trip and do report with photys please ! :)

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
Good on ya whale. Enjoy it but not to much haha.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2014, 09:57:15 am »
Right chaps, here are the pics.

LONG POST ALERT

https://www.facebook.com/steve.duke.12/media_set?set=a.717353761640607.1073741827.100000979685557&type=1

I should tell you first that the pics simply do not get close to showing the true impact of this stunning and magnificent country and my words will also not do justice to what was, by far, the best thing I have ever done on a bike.

I have returned awestruck.

The itinerary is all on the first post through the link to SAMT (Tony France - 73 years young - is the tour guide) so I won't take you through a day by day account but just restrict myself to some highlights and some tips etc.

Firstly, I flew non stop from Heathrow which is 11 hours at around a grand a seat return. The other 2 guys on the trip flew from Birmingham but had a stop off in Dubai for fuel etc. Cardiff flights had 3 stops and took 30 hours......

Cape Town traffic in rush hour (arrived around 7.30 am) is something unreal!!!! The traffic police are having a field day (every day) pulling people for using the bus lanes and having untaxed cars etc. Literally pull over, out and we are having the vehicle! And lots of them! Couple of bike cops spotted, GTR1400 and VFR1200. Riders in trousers and open neck short sleeved shirts.....

Checked into the digs (really nice B & B with a pool) and out for a quick run around Cape Town on the bike - I had a recent model GS1200 BMW which comes with expanded panniers and a top box. Driving standards in town are good - better than UK - but STOP means GIVE WAY in practice and some knowledge of the protocol soon helps in making progress. Back for a swim and a beer poolside.

The first day out from Cape Town immediately reveals the true attraction of SA for the biker. Well surfaced roads, devoid of traffic, little police presence and loads of constant radius fast sweeper bends. I can't recall any bends that tightened on me other than couple on the really twisty mountain passes. Once you pick a line you stay on maintenance throttle with your boots skimming the tarmac until the exit reveals itself and you can gas it hard out.

Our guides approach was to stop at a junction and say "that way for 80 kms and then stop at the T junction - stop where you want for photo's etc and I will stay behind". Worked perfectly.

Progress is mostly made through the vast empty spaces at speeds between 120 and 160 kmhs and quite a bit higher on many occasions. The lack of traffic and good roads means speed is never really an issue. Other drivers will pull onto the hard shoulder to let you pass so as to not hinder your progress.

Accommodation is good quality B & B's with character and a really warm welcome. Food quality is excellent with a full English on offer each day usually. En suite facilities of course and soft paper! Air Con and/or a fan are usually there.

Evening meals are where you choose, mostly in decent restaurants which have decent portions, good quality and great prices. Everything winds down by around 21.00 hrs and an early night is usually a good idea. 

Fuel is around 80p a litre and the gadje fills it up for you for around £12 a tank from empty to fill. A tip of 50c is expected (around 2 p....) I used to bung them a bit more and they love that!

Temperatures are usually around the 28 degree mark which is perfect. Low was 16.5 in a bit of a shower and a very toasty 43.5 on a spirited back road blast to Humansdorp. Cool water in the air conned Wimpy (remember them!) soon revives though!

We had one shower on the outskirts of storm we had been riding towards for hours which dried us out within 10 mins of getting out of it. The last morning saw a proper bit of rain but as it was warm I just rode through it. The weather changed (20 degrees to 32...) as we came over a mountain pass and 30 mins later I was dry.

Tips?

Don't take too much in the way of clothing. 4 T shirts, 4 pants and socks and swimming costume was enough. The two night stop overs do laundry and I had all mine laundered and ironed for £2...... You can buy stuff there anyway if you get short. I didn't.

I rode in kevlar jeans and a leather jacket for the two weeks - I took wetters but didn't wear them. I wore my TCX Infinity boots but should have taken my less protective and smaller/lighter ones and saved space. My flip front lid was perfect and I would avoid a full face...... The other guys rode in bare hands a lot and got burned, I can't ride without gloves anyway.

Cash machines are plentiful but your UK bank sting you for using them. Fuel is mostly "cash" only.

My biggest regret was the lack of a helmet or bike cam with loads of capacity - easily 4 hours a day you would want to keep!

Security was not an issue - at no point did I feel threatened or uncomfortable. A bit of begging goes on "A few rand for Sups!" and I usually gave if he was pleasant and there were not loads of them!

One of our guys dropped his key into a storm drain behind the bike and a quick ask about had a dozen young men up to their armpits dredging it for the key within minutes. Amazingly, it was found and a 100 rand tip (about £6....) saw them squabbling gleefully over the share out! Totally amazing! People are helpful and not like the sullen bastards we meet here. (Me!)

Must Do's.

The world biggest bungee jump at 216 m. I didn't but the rest did. About £50 with the DVD.

Swartzburg pass. Dirt road over the top of the mountains. Awesome. Best thing ever. Free. But I would pay to ride it. Lots.

Valley of Desolation. Amazing sights. About £3.

Adoo Reserve. Wildlife galore. Take a guided tour, the guy spots stuff I wouldn't have seen! Few quid.

Bains Kloof Pass. Amazing tight and twisty pass. Tarmac. Free.

Table Mountain. Obvious really. You can abseil from it - too windy on our day. Thank God. Few quid.

Cape Point. Great Views etc. Few quid.

Ostrich farm. Interesting. Few quid.

Shark Diving. In a cage with Great White's outside. About £100 but a true "must do." I shit myself when one stuck his nose in the cage! I was almost back on the boat!

Anyway, enough! I said I couldn't use words to cover it.....

All I will say is that I spent hours each day riding along shaking my head in total awe and disbelief of the massive and astounding scenery around me. And I well known for being a miserable foccer!

I don't think I would have worried too much if I had not been but I am just so glad that I did now I have, if that makes sense?

At 55 years of age (today!) I thought I had seen most of what life has to offer. I have not. Probably still have not. Or ever will.

If you have the inclination to do it then GO!!!!!! Spend your last penny but go.

Don't procrastinate (7 mates of mine backed out over the preparation period....) just do it.

DOERS DO.

If you want any more info or help the pm me - happy to help.

Whale

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
Re: My Winter Ride Out - UPDATED WITH PICS.
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2014, 11:37:27 am »
Whale great write up, makes me jealous I couldn't do more on my business trips to PE, but looking on the bright side looks like a 18 month relocation to PE is on the cards sometime in the next 3 years and looking at what you've done my weekends will be really busy :D

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2014, 12:24:17 pm »
Good times, eh?  Glad you enjoyed it so much, mate.  Thanks for the write-up and photos.

Kickass omelettes, I bet! :)

Mike

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2014, 08:58:03 am »
lucky bastard.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2014, 09:50:12 am »

your write up is brilliant, thank you. it sounds amazing.

can't see any photographs though, only an aprillia and some favourites. is this because i'm not a facebook member?
is it clean enough?

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2014, 10:12:47 am »
AWSOME !!! do OZ next
where does the muffler go?

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2014, 10:48:54 am »

can't see any photographs though, only an aprillia and some favourites. is this because i'm not a facebook member?

Not sure why you can't see them! I don't do techy.......

Whale

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2014, 04:08:55 pm »

Yes...you will need to register.....he's gone foccing click camera crazy though there hundreds of them

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2014, 07:37:01 pm »
Looks and sounds like a fantastic trip , great pics , cape town is on my bucket list .