Date: 22-05-24  Time: 14:50 pm

Author Topic: What is the most stupid thing you've seen another driver do . . . .  (Read 25088 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Re: What is the most stupid thing you've seen another driver do . . . .
« Reply #25 on: 16 December 2011, 10:30:10 am »
There should really be a cut off point for elderly drivers.

I thought that at 70 years old, drivers had to undertake a medical to retain licence?

just googled it and this is what Direct line have on their website

There is no legal age at which you have to stop driving, so whether you renew your licence is totally up to the individual. It is your responsibility to decide whether you are still fit enough to drive. By law, you have to renew your licence when you reach the age of 70, and then every three years after that.
Ninety days before your 70th birthday, the DVLA should send you a D46P Application for renewal of a driving licence. You can either fill this in and return it by post, or you can use the DVLA's online service to renew. There is no fee for renewal.
If you have a C1 or D1 entitlement – for minibuses or towing vehicles – and you intend to renew this as well, you must enclose a D4 'medical examination report' completed by a doctor in support of your application.

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2011, 11:41:10 am »
The item in this weeks paper about the old chap driving round and round the M25 for two days because he didn't know where to turn off is a good example.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2011, 11:58:32 am »
The thing is, it shouldn't be up to the drivers to decide if they are fine to drive. They should have someone actually check that they are fine to drive.

If they are fine, then great. If they are not, then tough.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #28 on: 16 December 2011, 07:09:51 pm »
The item in this weeks paper about the old chap driving round and round the M25 for two days because he didn't know where to turn off is a good example.

ISTR hearing this story a couple of years ago. Of course it may be that someone else has had the same problem (or the story has been re-hashed by the media!)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 December 2011, 08:14:39 pm »
That sort of thing happens all the time, 2 days is excessive though.

Alzheimer's, can be a real problem.  One loads of folks have it and two many don't yet know that they have it.  By the time they do know they have it they often don't fully understand what it means. 

And even once a consultant has advised that a driving license be removed, well that's all very well, but don't expect the patient to remember that they are not allowed to drive.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 December 2011, 07:36:05 am »
My two favourites are -
1. speeding bloke  in  a car full of kids, obviously late  late for something , taking all the risks.....he texting, while an unseatbelted kid sits on his lap. Dont quite know how he was steering ...maybe the kid was the way he was swerving.....

2. elderly lady with those massive black glasses( for the blind)..revving her car at full rpm but only doing 3 mph, head out into the road from her drive without looking and everyone having to take avoiding action! I was working at a house 2 doors down at the time and saw it all happen !  :eek    Now who says the elderly can self regulate !

I should also include the complete impatient  tosser who tried to overtake a queue of cars for a mini roundabout by recklessly driving through an empty petrol station, braked too late for the give way, skidded and took me out while I had right of way.on said roundabout...choice quote " sorry mate ...I am a biker myself"....yeah, right .... then later changed his story after accepting liability at the scene...then changed his mind 2 days before our court hearing.The word is c*nt...

Yes, maybe I have actually seen it all !  :rolleyes

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 December 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
Again it is men with ven (My new plural word for vans) I was nearly hit on a pedestrian crossing by a dude, coming down a hill, using two hands to eat a Mc D's burger while he rolled over the crossing, causing me to stop in the middle.

I got a 'Sorry Mate I Didn't see you!!' accompanied by spitting, bits of the burger out of his fat face. Probably cos you weren't looking dickhead.

Also, my gorgeous girlfriend frequently gets ignored by arseholes, not recognising the pedestrian crossing at the end of our road (Despite it's flashing amber signals) and is nearly hit most mornings by people who just don't want to slow down. Foolish!!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 December 2011, 07:34:17 am »
maybe she distracts them !    ;)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 December 2011, 10:05:49 am »
The other day I was stopped in the road waiting for traffic pass so I could turn right into a minor road. Some arsehole coming out of the minor road nearly pulled into me, I was right in front of him and the prick gave me a look to as if I was in the wrong.
thou shalt not kick

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #34 on: 19 December 2011, 04:35:53 pm »
Also, my gorgeous girlfriend frequently gets ignored by arseholes, not recognising the pedestrian crossing at the end of our road (Despite it's flashing amber signals) and is nearly hit most mornings by people who just don't want to slow down. Foolish!!

An Evil Thought!! get her to push an empty old pushchair out int the road in front of her!!  I know it would shake up the driver but I've seen it done before and has startling effects!!

maybe she distracts them !    ;)

the road I used to live off had a bad reputation because it was a dead straight mile and a 40 limit but most drivers did well above it. in summer the speed dropped dramatically when a particular young lady used to walk down the road wearing ... well not much but just enuf to be covered!!

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 December 2011, 04:43:35 pm »
in summer the speed dropped dramatically when a particular young lady used to walk down the road wearing ... well not much but just enuf to be covered!!

When I was doing my lessons I was warned this was as bigger danger as SMIDSYs  :lol
thou shalt not kick

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 December 2011, 11:31:45 pm »
Wasn't there this lady from Hollyoaks, who was supposed to be very pretty, and they put a picture of her modelling for something on a roundabout somewhere and it caused loads of crashes, and I think, a few fatalities.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 December 2011, 07:29:46 am »
what a way to go !     :eek

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 December 2011, 11:47:49 am »
On my regular work commute I was progressing straight on at a roundabout on a dual carriageway at a reasonable pace only to be confronted by a woman in a car who had come from the opposite direction and decided to turn right at the roundabout by the anti-clockwise short route!

Beggars belief - I was just thankful I managed to avoid her
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 December 2011, 12:54:56 pm »
When returning from seeing Neely and Davy on my bike I was ambling down the motorway through the roadworks outside Glasgow doing 40mph, then, feck me, a car comes across from the outside lane and forces me to dodge traffic cones and end up in the lane that was getting the work done. After I gathered myself and emptied the shite out my boots I took off after said car, an old merc. When I got level with him, flipped visor up and looked at him  :eek It was an elderly man eating his dinner off a plate using a knife and fork and stearing with his upper legs. I told him he was a very bad man, or words to that effect.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

peterjca

« Reply #40 on: 20 December 2011, 01:07:49 pm »
Thankfully I was a passenger in a car at the time, going round a large roundabout on the inside lane when we suddenly had to stop. Coming towards us was an old banger with an elderly couple inside, going round the inside of the roundabout the wrong way. I gave up thinking about how on earth they could have got there.

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #41 on: 20 December 2011, 03:18:51 pm »
a few years ago my buddy was towing his flatbed car trailer (heading home) when the traffic lights he was approaching changed to red. it was a bit of a brisk stop, but he had room and time. what he didn't expect was the bump and crash he suddenly felt, and upon looking in his rear view mirror could see an elderly lady in a corsa (IIRC) looking very pale and a lot closer than she should have been. turns out she had been tailgaiting him and when he stopped quickly the front of the car dipped, raising the back, lifting the towbar and thus lowering the rear of the trailer at just the right angle for the little old lady to bounce up onto the trailer.

same buddy used to import ex swedish army volvo trucks - 4x4 and 6x6 wheelbases. he'd travel over to sweden, buy the truck and drive it back, heading straight to the local DVLA office to register it. one time he'd parked a 6x6 in two spaces (yes, they're big) outside the DVLA office in Glasgow and came out to find a towtruck fitting the wheel clamps to lift the 6x6 volvo onto the flatbed to take to the pound. he just stood there and watched (in kinks) as the operator started the hoist to find that it wasn't up to the job of lifting the volvo and proceeded to instead roll the towtruck onto it's side.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #42 on: 20 December 2011, 03:37:11 pm »
in my early days of riding I used to carry a spanner in the top of my boot, it is amazing what a light tap on the window or door of a car would do to make drivers realise there wrong!!

although i have had some scary moments in my car, 1 time driving back to see a friend when a car cut me up at a roundabout. I pulled alongside him at the next set of lights and asked him if he knew his highway code, at which point he got out of his car went to his boot and pulled out a shotgun!!! yes officer I did go through the lights on red and yes I broke the speed limit!! however I drove to the local police station & reported him!!

he denied the incident and produced a licence for his firearm! whether it was renewed!!

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 January 2012, 12:47:11 pm »
Last night myself and my lady were driving home, when we came to a set of traffic lights, and waited behind about 4 or 5 cars. The lights went green, and yet, everyone failed to move. Obviously, there was some obstruction, and as I couldn't see, and it was late I declined in tooting my horn, and decided that I should be patient.

Anyway, the obstruction wasn't something serious other than some twat in a Carrera GT, who was chatting to his mates on the street, rather than paying attention to what's going on.

After about 5 Mississippi's, others started to beep the dude, so his mate got in the car and he then drove off, and slowed to about 5mph, to hold us all up. I could see, what was going on by this point, so I joined in the chorus of tooting to try and persuade him to drive normally, and stop being a selfish twat. He then opened his door and shouted, rather aggressively, for us all to 'fuck off' and then drove off, and then AGAIN, quickly slowed to 5mph. We had had enough, and a little Austin Metro type car started to over take him, so what do you think he decided to do??

That's right, he sped up to match the speed thwarting the little cars attempt and nearly forcing it into some island bollards.

The little car did manage to over take him, JUST, only to be met with tailgating, beeping and flashing high beams.

What a twat!!

In the end he went off to terrorize someone else.

Am very fed up of these people. Thinking of getting a camera, so I can shop these dudes . . . . . . . .

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 April 2012, 01:11:12 am »
Haven't posted here for a little while. People haven't been driving as bad as all that, or if they have, then I haven't really paid much attention.

Had a good one the other day though. . . .

I was waiting at the lights on me Fazer and someone who looked like Dappy drove up in a Smart car.

I noticed that he was now on the phone (not a handsfree) He then decided to run the light at about 4mph, across the junction, then stopping at the pelican crossing. Realising he is a knob, he then reversed back to the starting point at about 2mph. (Does this mean he ran the light twice??)

Anyways, he finished his phone conversation, and then looked at me, and gave me that 'Bet I can beat the bike look', and failing to take his car out of reverse, nearly front ended the Merc, behind him when the lights changed.

Fool.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 25 April 2012, 10:39:20 am »
First day of my DAS we (instructor, me and one other) were heading to the DSA place to see if we could watch a mod 1 test taking place.  Just before we got to the centre some dozy woman with her kids in the car pulled out of a side turning at about 2mph, on the phone.  Instructor pulls up alongside and she looks at him and shouts "Sorry, I'm on the phone!" through the window  :rolleyes

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 April 2012, 10:55:35 am »
Some people are totally ridiculous.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 25 April 2012, 11:25:06 am »
Recently sitting on a bench munching a sarnie. Young bloke in a pimped up Nova pulled up to the main road from a side road opposite. Then without being aware of the cars behind him waiting to turn left had to make A REALLY important call on his mobile. When the cars behind overtook him to exit the junction he gave each one the finger like it was all their fault. Turns out he was waiting for his girlfriend who was shopping. :rolleyes
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25 April 2012, 11:57:20 am »
Silly woman in a golf estate didn't look on one of the roundabouts on the A31 and just carried on over the roundabout without stopping to give way.  Jeez it scared the crap out of me, so I asked my wife to pull over in the next layby and I took over the driving....

Thank god there was no-one coming around the roundabout or that would have hurt.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25 April 2012, 12:10:46 pm »
When I was at college a girl told me she'd pulled onto a roundabout, into the path of a lorry, panicked and put he hands over her eyes...

she was on a lesson but still  :eek
thou shalt not kick