Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:45 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 642563 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!
« Reply #3700 on: 27 November 2020, 06:14:54 pm »
Is it me of has the general standard of driving gotten noticeably worse in the last 6 months..?

Its not just the last 6 months, I think its been declining for years. Millions of vehicles out on the roads these days without tax/insurance/mot/licence

I'm sorry but I just can't believe that's true. With all the ANPR camera about these days and the DVLAs  ability to check and fine you digitally I find it hard to believe there are too many on the road compared to the late 80s early 90s.
My old man for one was driving since before I was born but never took his test until I was around 10, and he wasn't you only one. Back then we all knew plenty of people that just drove without anything as you had to be caught by the police and physically checked out.
These days the only people that drive about like that are the delinquent criminals and foreigners who pretend they have no clue.

I think (as with most things) you are all getting older and therefore everything that comes after you isn't as good in your opinion (just like the music)😉 but the truth being I doubt many of you would pass a modern driving test without extra training 😜

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: 28 November 2020, 10:52:51 am »
Is it me of has the general standard of driving gotten noticeably worse in the last 6 months..?

Its not just the last 6 months, I think its been declining for years. Millions of vehicles out on the roads these days without tax/insurance/mot/licence

I'm sorry but I just can't believe that's true. With all the ANPR camera about these days and the DVLAs  ability to check and fine you digitally I find it hard to believe there are too many on the road compared to the late 80s early 90s.
My old man for one was driving since before I was born but never took his test until I was around 10, and he wasn't you only one. Back then we all knew plenty of people that just drove without anything as you had to be caught by the police and physically checked out.
These days the only people that drive about like that are the delinquent criminals and foreigners who pretend they have no clue.

I think (as with most things) you are all getting older and therefore everything that comes after you isn't as good in your opinion (just like the music)😉 but the truth being I doubt many of you would pass a modern driving test without extra training 😜

Yes, 2008, and the Mail. But cant see that much has changed since then
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084574/Five-million-rogue-drivers--foreigners--putting-lives-risk-police-crackdown-reveals.html

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: 29 November 2020, 01:17:18 pm »

Yes, 2008, and the Mail. But cant see that much has changed since then
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084574/Five-million-rogue-drivers--foreigners--putting-lives-risk-police-crackdown-reveals.html

I think you're dead right there pal,I would hate to have to take my car or bike test again,you actually thought it was hard back in the day but when I tell my kids what was required in either they can't believe how easy it was! I know we can't compare decades but with no theory/CBT etc it really was a piece of piss.I'd gladly take the old tests though. :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: 29 November 2020, 01:43:10 pm »
The theory tests are a joke and some questions are hilarious with a 3 choice answer. Something along the line s of an old man is slow at a pedestrian crossing and the lights have turned to flashing amber do you.
  • wait patiently until they have safely crossed the road
  • rev your engine to encourage them to be quicker
  • ride around the old bastard
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3704 on: 30 November 2020, 10:41:20 am »
I would hate to have to take my car or bike test again,you actually thought it was hard back in the day but when I tell my kids what was required in either they can't believe how easy it was!

It was a bit before my time, but I recall a friend describing the "Ride around the block and stop when the examiner sticks his hand up" Test!

TBH I'd be interested in doing the modern "cone course" test simply to see if my skills are up to scratch.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3705 on: 30 November 2020, 10:55:51 am »
I would hate to have to take my car or bike test again,you actually thought it was hard back in the day but when I tell my kids what was required in either they can't believe how easy it was!

It was a bit before my time, but I recall a friend describing the "Ride around the block and stop when the examiner sticks his hand up" Test!

TBH I'd be interested in doing the modern "cone course" test simply to see if my skills are up to scratch.

When I took my test they had just bought in the part 1 / part 2 test. Part 1 was a ride around the car park and part 2 was the figure of 8 route around the test centre with the examiner stepping out in the road 100m away from you for you to do the emergency stop.
Having been riding for several years off road by the (I was only 17) I borrowed my dads XS750 which I was insured on through my car insurance (Imagine that today) and with a sidewinder bolted on the side I was able to skip the Pt1 and just do the Pt2 test. It was great in teh 80's you could ride any size bike on L plates if it had a side car and no instructor was required. Take your test with that on that, unbolt the sidecar and ride home. All legal.

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: 01 December 2020, 12:29:27 am »
The theory tests are a joke and some questions are hilarious with a 3 choice answer. Something along the line s of an old man is slow at a pedestrian crossing and the lights have turned to flashing amber do you.

I could hardly read this for laughing. :lol :lol :lol :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: 01 December 2020, 01:15:18 am »
It was great in teh 80's you could ride any size bike on L plates if it had a side car and no instructor was required.

Yep, I knew people in Sixth Form who had the Sidewinder (for those who don't know, it was a plastic tray with a little wheel on the side that fulfilled the definition of "a side car"  :eek )

They would also have a bungee attached to it, so they could pull it up and out the way when they weren't in danger of getting pulled over by the Police!

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: 01 December 2020, 12:54:12 pm »
Sat my test on a Tiger cub, the examiner walked along side me at walking pace to determine my ability to control the bike at that pace, then it was a solo ride on a route he dictated to me with the emergency stop included when he stepped off the pavement as I was returning from the test route, then a short ride round various corners and roundabouts using hand signals, plus stopping at the side of the road and then taking off again then back to the test centre. Passed first time.
Got the same examiner for my car test several months later (Morris 1000), and when exiting from a side road (with Hand Signals) I stalled it, then the usual handbrake on , out of gear, restart engine, observations left , right and rear , signal  turn , another stall, there was an old man leaning against his fence with his Jack Russell dug at his feet, and he turned round to face the car and said "where hiv ye been gettin awe the drink son" I died internally then and finally managed to move off and complete the test, I nearly fainted when the examiner said I had passed, and as for the stalling he said I was always in full control of the car and did the correct procedure each time it happened, passed 1st time.
It seems that the younger drivers nowadays are less aware of the rules of the road than we were at the same age, and tend to speed more.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2020, 12:58:09 pm by Oldgit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: 01 December 2020, 02:21:48 pm »

I could hardly read this for laughing. :lol :lol :lol :lol
It really is not far off the mark though with some of the questions

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: 01 December 2020, 06:18:45 pm »
It really is not far off the mark though with some of the questions

And yet:

The 2019/20 pass rate is 47.7%*, which means just over half of all people who sit their Theory Test fail it.!!  :eek

I think that's because while there are plenty of questions like the one fazersharp mentioned (I think I genuinely had that one on my bike theory 😅) there are also lots of either obscure ones about road signs you never see in real life or ones that have very similar answers that seem like they are almost deliberately designed to trip you up 🤔

As with most DVLA related things its all BS and not relevant to actual real world driving. I've been driving around 15 years but I still couldn't tell you what colour cats eyes are anywhere on a road 🤷‍♂️ tbh I think they've removed most of them from the roads now anyway 🙄

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: 01 December 2020, 08:38:15 pm »
I didn't actually take the test as I am way older that that :lol but it was a while ago and it was going around the forum to see if we could pass it.
 At first go I completely messed up the hazard perception test as I was clicking everything, ooh no leaves on trees - winter - shade from hedge - possible frost -"click". Manhole cover "click" road tar line repairs - "click" blind brow of hill - "click"- pidgin in field I guarantee it is going to take off and fly in front of me - "click"-,  focing audi just pulled up at a junction on my left "click click click" !. Bus up ahead --- well of course he is going to pull out or a twat just got off and cross the road in front of the bus so I "click" oooh I am right it is a hazard in the test but I have spotted the bus hazard far too early for the test and it thinks I am clicking for nothing :wall    and all "my" other hazard clicks were not hazards ----- fail     :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 01 December 2020, 08:39:55 pm by fazersharp »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: 02 December 2020, 01:27:46 am »
while there are plenty of questions like the one fazersharp mentioned (I think I genuinely had that one on my bike theory 😅) there are also lots of either obscure ones about road signs you never see in real life or ones that have very similar answers that seem like they are almost deliberately designed to trip you up 🤔

I agree that some of them are ridiculously obscure. Every now and again, someone posts one of those mock theory tests and some have questions that, as you say,really aren't particularly relevant.

I still couldn't tell you what colour cats eyes are anywhere on a road 🤷‍♂️ tbh I think they've removed most of them from the roads now anyway 🙄

White down the middle of the carriage way, green for slip roads, red for the left edge, amber for the central reservation, green/yellow for lane adjustments/ contraflows etc when there's roadworks and blue for emergency services  :D

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3714 on: 02 December 2020, 08:08:40 am »
I didn't actually take the test as I am way older that that :lol but it was a while ago and it was going around the forum to see if we could pass it.
 At first go I completely messed up the hazard perception test as I was clicking everything, ooh no leaves on trees - winter - shade from hedge - possible frost -"click". Manhole cover "click" road tar line repairs - "click" blind brow of hill - "click"- pidgin in field I guarantee it is going to take off and fly in front of me - "click"-,  focing audi just pulled up at a junction on my left "click click click" !. Bus up ahead --- well of course he is going to pull out or a twat just got off and cross the road in front of the bus so I "click" oooh I am right it is a hazard in the test but I have spotted the bus hazard far too early for the test and it thinks I am clicking for nothing :wall    and all "my" other hazard clicks were not hazards ----- fail     :rolleyes

When my eldest was learning to drive I did an online hazard perception test and failed too. I was clicking on things I took as hazards earlier than the test took them. For example, a child walking along the street. To me that is a hazard as they tend to move diagonally into the road without looking. For the test though, they only became a hazard when they turned towards the road. Another was a bus driving along. A hazard to me as it will stop and disgorge passengers so you need to be more aware f it slowing down etc. No, to them, its only when it is stationary. etc etc.

Riding a bike makes you more aware of potential hazards earlier but take the test in bike mode and you will fail.

For the theory test, i had a go at that too. 100% on one attempt and got one question wrong on another go. Cant remember what he questions were though.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3715 on: 02 December 2020, 08:10:21 am »
I still couldn't tell you what colour cats eyes are anywhere on a road 🤷‍♂️ tbh I think they've removed most of them from the roads now anyway 🙄

White down the middle of the carriage way, green for slip roads, red for the left edge, amber for the central reservation, green/yellow for lane adjustments/ contraflows etc when there's roadworks and blue for emergency services  :D

Standard question when I took my bike and car test in the 80's.

Another favourite that nobody knows (well I do) the answer to is "When can you stop in a yellow box junction?"

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: 02 December 2020, 10:53:24 am »

Standard question when I took my bike and car test in the 80's.

Another favourite that nobody knows (well I do) the answer to is "When can you stop in a yellow box junction?"
Promise I did not look it up but you can stop when you are turning right and prevented so by on coming traffic. Its either that or you can go ahead and block the road so long as you are on foreign plates or you are in a van,bmw, or audi

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3717 on: 02 December 2020, 11:15:35 am »
You can only enter a yellow box junction if your exit is clear EXCEPT when turning right and your exit is blocked by oncoming traffic (or you drive a van, BMW, Audi or are aged under 40 or aged over 60)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: 02 December 2020, 01:52:27 pm »
Easy peasy.
When can you cross a solid white line in the middle of the road?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: 02 December 2020, 02:29:32 pm »
Easy peasy.

Easy... when your wither drunk or texting? Or when you drive a hot hatch and the car in front of you is doing less than 10mph over the speed limit 🤔

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: 02 December 2020, 05:01:13 pm »
I was clicking on things I took as hazards earlier than the test took them.

[...]

Riding a bike makes you more aware of potential hazards earlier but take the test in bike mode and you will fail.

Yes, same here.

Fortunately I bought one of those CDs with a whole load of Hazard Perception tests on, so I got used to clicking for a "Developing Hazard" as it wants, ie when something would actually cause you to have to adjust speed or direction, insted of identifying the hazard *before* it actually becomes a problem, so you're already prepared to do something when it "develops".

It's ridiculous, because it effectively teaches you to drive or ride reactively, rather than proactively...  :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: 02 December 2020, 05:02:24 pm »

If you're turning right and the exit is clear, but there is oncoming traffic which you have to wait for :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: 02 December 2020, 05:10:57 pm »

Presuming you mean "When can you cross a solid white line in the middle of the road on your side of the carriageway"? ;)

When you are turning right into an exit or a driveway etc.

When you need to overtake a cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle (with its amber light on) which are doing less than 10mph

If it is necessary to pass a stopped vehicle.

If directed to do so by a Police Officer or Highways Agency Traffic Officer in uniform.

Interestingly it *is* legal to filter past stopped vehicles by crossing a solid white line, because there's no actual definition of "necessary"(!)

However if the front part of your vehicle passes the front part of another vehicle which starts moving when you're on the wrong side of the white line, then you're committing an offence!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: 02 December 2020, 05:13:27 pm »
Aston Martin in row over 'sockpuppet PR firm' pushing anti-electric vehicle study

Aston Martin is at the centre of a climate lobbying controversy after a study co-commissioned by the company that cast doubt on the green credentials of electric vehicles was found to have been attributed to a PR company registered to the wife of a director at the luxury carmaker.

The study, which has since been widely debunked by experts, was presented as “groundbreaking” third-party research and appeared to show that electric cars would have to travel as far as 50,000 miles before matching the carbon footprint of a petrol model.

After "Dieselgate", now this...!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: 02 December 2020, 05:25:13 pm »
Interesting, as I will be doing some lessons and a test just so I have a car license, I think I would fall fowl of the same topics you did.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 06:46:54 pm by b1k3rdude »