Date: 19-05-24  Time: 03:21 am

Author Topic: Weird revving issue and bike wont idle  (Read 6956 times)

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Weird revving issue and bike wont idle
« on: 04 January 2015, 08:32:44 pm »
Hi all,

I bought my Fazer a while ago, it had been standing for ages.
there was a fair bit wrong with it but I've sorted most things out.
There are 2 problems, not sure if they are related.
The bike doesnt like to idle, with the choke it's fine, without it'll idle for a  few secs then sounds like it's gonna die, a few more secs and it usually does. The idle screw is as high as it will go. also if I pull the clutch in when I've got the choke on, then it revs loads (at about 5000 rpm)
So thats issue number one.
The second issue is when I'm riding along, If I slam open the throttle, the revs jump up high and then jump back down to where they should be and then the bike will accelerate. If I roll the throttle open real slow it doesn't happen, but as soon as I give it some it jumps. It doesnt matter where in the rev range I am or what gear I'm in it always happens, it's almost like I'm in neutral for a sec, then goes back to normal. Recently changed the chain and sprockets but it was doing this before that too.

Not sure where to start.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Re: Weird revving issue and bike wont idle
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2015, 08:51:21 pm »
Hello, I think if the bike has been left for a while I would put some new fresh fuel in and that may help it to idle. If you have already done that, then I would check the condition of the spark plugs next as you may get a clue as to what's causing the problem. Your other problem sounds like the clutch is slipping so it could be worn plates or incorrectly adjusted either at the lever or in the front sprocket cover end. It's easy to re adjust, I would start there before taking anything apart. Others with lots more knowledge will give more help soon no doubt, good luck!  :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2015, 10:22:37 pm »
Second issues is as yamazer says is clutch related. Wrongly adjusted at the sprocket cover or worn friction plates

First one sounds like pilot jets blocked or wrongly adjusted pilot screws.

The 02 -03 models have different pilot screw adjustments to the earlier models. They should be 2.5 turns out from fully in.

If you replaced or cleaned the jets then it is most likely the pilot screws

Remove the carbs and check the pilot jets and the setting of the pilot screws.

It is possible to get at the screws with a special tool with the carbs in place, but if you do not have it then it is carbs off

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2015, 11:52:40 am »
Hello, I think if the bike has been left for a while I would put some new fresh fuel in and that may help it to idle. If you have already done that, then I would check the condition of the spark plugs next as you may get a clue as to what's causing the problem. Your other problem sounds like the clutch is slipping so it could be worn plates or incorrectly adjusted either at the lever or in the front sprocket cover end. It's easy to re adjust, I would start there before taking anything apart. Others with lots more knowledge will give more help soon no doubt, good luck!  :)

Hiya, thanks for the reply, I've put in plenty of fresh fuel since I've had it, been using premium stuff to see if that made a difference but no joy.
Brand new spark plugs.
Will definitely play with the adjustment on the Cluth cable to see if that helps. Does it sound like it needs slackening or tightening?
Thanks

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2015, 11:58:14 am »

What oil is in there?
I'm just wondering because from the rise in revs when you pull the clutch in when idling in neutral it sounds as though the gearbox might be giving a lot of drag. If someone's put a thick gearbox oil in there instead of engine oil that would account for it. It'd also cause massive clutch slip when under way.

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2015, 12:01:57 pm »
Second issues is as yamazer says is clutch related. Wrongly adjusted at the sprocket cover or worn friction plates

First one sounds like pilot jets blocked or wrongly adjusted pilot screws.

The 02 -03 models have different pilot screw adjustments to the earlier models. They should be 2.5 turns out from fully in.

If you replaced or cleaned the jets then it is most likely the pilot screws

Remove the carbs and check the pilot jets and the setting of the pilot screws.

It is possible to get at the screws with a special tool with the carbs in place, but if you do not have it then it is carbs off

Hiya,
Will definitely check the cable slack at the lever and sprocket. Does it sound like it needs tightening or loosening?
I thought the 1st issue might be carb related, just because it had been sat for so long. Sorry to sound daft, but where are the pilot screws on these carbs? Are they underneath?

Thanks

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2015, 12:17:03 pm »

What oil is in there?
I'm just wondering because from the rise in revs when you pull the clutch in when idling in neutral it sounds as though the gearbox might be giving a lot of drag. If someone's put a thick gearbox oil in there instead of engine oil that would account for it. It'd also cause massive clutch slip when under way.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I changed the oil recently. I used Silkolene Super 4.
Thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2015, 12:19:48 pm »
Slacken the cable a bit. If there's too much tension on the cable from being adjusted too tight it's as if you've got the lever slightly pulled all the time so it slips. Do you have to release the lever quite far before it engages? That would be another tell tale sign that it's adjusted too tight. It could also be worn clutch plates or old oil but it's probably just the cable needs to be adjusted.

Sounds like it's not getting enough petrol at idle as the lads said. If it only runs ok with the choke pulled then it's probably not getting enough fuel at idle so that points to blocked pilot jets. Turning the idle screw all the way in is probably making it worst not helping because that opens the butterfly valve so you'd be getting more air when you need more fuel not more air. If it's been parked up for a good while then a good carb clean and put the idle screw back to normal and it should sort it.

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2015, 01:38:29 pm »
Slacken the cable a bit. If there's too much tension on the cable from being adjusted too tight it's as if you've got the lever slightly pulled all the time so it slips. Do you have to release the lever quite far before it engages? That would be another tell tale sign that it's adjusted too tight. It could also be worn clutch plates or old oil but it's probably just the cable needs to be adjusted.

Sounds like it's not getting enough petrol at idle as the lads said. If it only runs ok with the choke pulled then it's probably not getting enough fuel at idle so that points to blocked pilot jets. Turning the idle screw all the way in is probably making it worst not helping because that opens the butterfly valve so you'd be getting more air when you need more fuel not more air. If it's been parked up for a good while then a good carb clean and put the idle screw back to normal and it should sort it.

Hi Dudeness,
Thanks for the reply.

Will definitely slacken the cable to see if that makes a difference.
The bite point is far out. I hardly have to touch the lever to reach the bite point.
I turned the idle all the way out, because until I did that, it didnt idle at all, not even for the small amount of time that it does now, but I'll definitely check that again.
Are the pilot screws on the bottom of the carbs or are they on the side? Also to set them correctly, would it be 2.5 turns clockwise or anti clockwise?

Thanks

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2015, 02:23:35 pm »
Unfortunately at the bottom,

Turn them anticlockwise one full turn first to ensure they are not stuck or already at the stop point.

Now Turn them clockwise until they stop, don't force them past the stop point or you will damage the seating.  Mark where they stop on the edge in line with the screwdriver slot, make it easier to set the number of turns.

Now turn them anticlockwise 2.5 turns.

Make sure the screwdriver fits the slot properly

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2015, 02:34:36 pm »
Unfortunately at the bottom,

Turn them anticlockwise one full turn first to ensure they are not stuck or already at the stop point.

Now Turn them clockwise until they stop, don't force them past the stop point or you will damage the seating.  Mark where they stop on the edge in line with the screwdriver slot, make it easier to set the number of turns.

Now turn them anticlockwise 2.5 turns.

Make sure the screwdriver fits the slot properly

Thanks Unfazed!

I'll give that a bash when I'm off work next.
Using the bike to commute at the mo.
You reckon I'll be able to reach all 4 without taking the carbs off?
Thanks again.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2015, 06:09:27 pm »
Unless you have access to the special tool it is a carbs off job. :'(

You will not have to remove them completely, you could leave the throttle cables attached and lift the carbs up through the frame enough to get at the screws.

Are you sure the pilot jets are clean?

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2015, 06:53:12 pm »
Unless you have access to the special tool it is a carbs off job. :'(

You will not have to remove them completely, you could leave the throttle cables attached and lift the carbs up through the frame enough to get at the screws.

Are you sure the pilot jets are clean?

Hiya,

Not sure at all.
In fact as it was standing it's likely that they are fouled, though I did put some Redex in the tank to try and clean them a bit coz the instructions said that it should clean carbs.
But this made no difference. Also, do you have a pic or link to the tool you're talking about?

Thanks again
« Last Edit: 05 January 2015, 06:54:20 pm by jonest27 »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2015, 09:07:34 pm »
Access to the idle screws is not really that bad. A short screwdriver bit from a 1/4" ratchet set will do, the only carb which is awkward is number 3, but you can get to it by pulling the starter motor out of the way.

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2015, 07:52:35 am »
Hiya guys,
Quick update, I adjusted the clutch at the sprocket (by the way, the way you adjust the clutch there is a bit odd, I thought I'd be loosening and tightening nuts on the cable itself, not on the sprocket cover?!) This has solved the revving issue, so a big thanks for that :).
Just gotta wait for this weather to calm down a bit and I'll check out the carb settings.
I'll let  you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2015, 06:01:30 pm »
Hi again,
Further update.

Took the carbs off to day, They were pretty rank.
Took them to have an ultra-sonic clean.
Will let you all know if it sorts the issue.
Also I'm dreading putting them back on, they were a bitch to get off! the throttle cable were a night mare!
Any tips for putting it back together?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2015, 06:15:17 pm »
Fit the cables to the carbs before fitting carbs to the bike, making sure the throttle snaps back before re fitting.....tip no2........plenty of tea and take your time    :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2015, 07:51:05 pm »
With the air box pulled right back tighten the 2 side bolts to stop the air box moving while try to get the carbs in place. Moisten a cloth with WD40 and rub it on to the edge and inside of the rubbers before you you start the fitting. Makes it easier to fit the carbs into the rubbers.
Loosen the the hose clips until the bolt is flush with the nut. Any less and they will be to tight to push the carbs on.

Keep checking that nothing is in the way as you feed them back in between the rubbers.
You will need three hands to get one of the cables on  :lol . I usually jam the throttle open full to put that one on it makes it easier, just make sure to feed them through correctly. Nothing worse than having the cable on only to find it is in the wrong way. :'(
Enjoy :)

And as Red says plenty of time and cups of tea  :thumbup

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2015, 08:02:51 pm »
Fit the cables to the carbs before fitting carbs to the bike, making sure the throttle snaps back before re fitting.....tip no2........plenty of tea and take your time    :thumbup

Cheers mate. Solid advice :)

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2015, 08:05:20 pm »
With the air box pulled right back tighten the 2 side bolts to stop the air box moving while try to get the carbs in place. Moisten a cloth with WD40 and rub it on to the edge and inside of the rubbers before you you start the fitting. Makes it easier to fit the carbs into the rubbers.
Loosen the the hose clips until the bolt is flush with the nut. Any less and they will be to tight to push the carbs on.

Keep checking that nothing is in the way as you feed them back in between the rubbers.
You will need three hands to get one of the cables on  :lol . I usually jam the throttle open full to put that one on it makes it easier, just make sure to feed them through correctly. Nothing worse than having the cable on only to find it is in the wrong way. :'(
Enjoy :) 

And as Red says plenty of time and cups of tea  :thumbup

Thanks Unfazed!

Good idea about tightening the screws on the air box to keep it back.
Wish I thought of that trying to get them out.
Also good tip about the WD40 too

Thanks again :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2015, 04:20:49 am »
Well done getting them out. I've found if you put them in at an angle so that the top edge of the carbs goes in first then push down on the back of the carbs they pop in and a bit of lube goes a long way as unfazed said. If they were gunked up cleaning them should solve the problem

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2015, 07:31:46 pm »
Me again :)
Thanks for all the advice!
Another update,
So, had the carbs back and put them on (3.5 hours later!)
Now It wont fire up :( it's turning over like it should but it wont fire up.
Tried adjusting the idle to see if that made a difference but nothing.
Is there anything simple I could have missed whilst putting it back together?
Also apart from the drain screws (mine seem to have seized and I'm at risk of chewing them up) is there any other way to check if there is fuel getting to the carbs without taking them off?
Cheers again

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2015, 07:47:40 pm »
Did you hear the fuel pump clicking like mad when you turned the ignition on ?
It will only run for a few seconds and then stop, it takes a couple of goes to load the carbs up, if you turn the ignition on and off a couple of times, you should hear it slow down and then stop as it gets some back pressure.

If you did not hear it, is it getting power ?
If it keeps going after several on, off's maybe trapped hose, or the obvious, everyone always remembers - yah, :rolleyes , did you turn the valve back on ?

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2015, 08:23:11 pm »
I'm a numpty!
Just went back out there. Wasn't going to let it beat me. i thought I've spent all afternoon putting it back together  in the pissing down rain, there is no way this bastard is going to win.
Went out there, fuel coming from tank, check, fuel going to filter, check, fuel going to and from pump, che.. wait, whats this little black connector??
Yes, I forgot to connect the fuel pump back up!!
Turned over the ignition, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! Fired up in seconds!
Awesome, now just gotta ride it at some point to see if the carb clean worked!
Will post what I hope to be a final update soon.
Watch this space!
:)

jonest27

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2015, 08:38:52 pm »
Did you hear the fuel pump clicking like mad when you turned the ignition on ?
It will only run for a few seconds and then stop, it takes a couple of goes to load the carbs up, if you turn the ignition on and off a couple of times, you should hear it slow down and then stop as it gets some back pressure.

If you did not hear it, is it getting power ?
If it keeps going after several on, off's maybe trapped hose, or the obvious, everyone always remembers - yah, :rolleyes , did you turn the valve back on ?

Cheers mate!
Turns out I forgot to reconnect the bloody fuel pump!