Date: 22-05-24  Time: 03:48 am

Author Topic: Oil Additives  (Read 25062 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Additives
« Reply #25 on: 12 February 2013, 06:20:28 pm »
I can cope with a company providing a robust defence of their product (too much namby pamby wishy-washy-ness in the world), but this isn't really that, is it? It's just "sod off if you don't like it".

And his grammar and spelling is atrocious  :stop

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 06:24:38 pm by richfzs »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 February 2013, 06:35:10 pm »
I can cope with a company providing a robust defence of their product (too much namby pamby wishy-washy-ness in the world), but this isn't really that, is it? It's just "sod off if you don't like it".

You can see where he's coming from though, it's for that very reason in my first post i stated that i've not really spoken much about Activ8 before, and it's simply because i can't be arsed with having to explain myself, and the product.  :wall

I couldn't give a monkey's if nobody buys it, it's more for me.  :woot
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 February 2013, 06:38:08 pm »
One thing to bear in mind is that each Oil manufacturer already carefully blends the exact right amount of additives ( Polymers, detergents, dispersants, anti oxidants, antifoam agents etc ) and the oil is tested and certified to meet certain specifications ie ACEA, JASO etc - you start adding other stuff and the carefully blended specification is out of the window ...

Its your money, but with my money i prefer to use good qaulity oil with the additive ratio as it was designed for...

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 February 2013, 06:43:31 pm »
Can I see where he's coming from? Kinda, but only up to a point. I get it must be frustrating, but he's in business to sell a product. That means you have to do marketing. There are lots of people out there who can't stand (to use just one example) McDonald's (I'm one of them), but McDonald's don't tell them to sod off.

Yes, he gets asked the same questions a lot. So, instead of having a rant, which is almost certainly essentially a prepared piece, put the effort into preparing a robust defence of the product. Include their evidence (or links to it), and he'd get a lot more respect from me. At least I wouldn't be tempted to think he's hiding something, and pasting that into his response would take exactly the same amount of time.

Who knows, he might even get an extra sale from it - which he'll be lucky to do from that reply!

« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 06:44:13 pm by richfzs »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 February 2013, 06:50:29 pm »
There is a balance to it all. Does anyone remember the million mile test of Mobil 1 on a BMW325 about 15-20 years ago? They ran it on Mobil 1 and after the mileage was covered, they blueprinted the engine to find the wear on the car covering about 10k!!

So good oil is good stuff!

The activ8  comes into its own if you run the engine dry for whatever reason, and it keeps on going without fatal damage occuring for a limited time. Its also beneficial for bikes with the gearbox sharing the engine oil.

Swings and roundabouts spring to mind! If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't knock it till you tried it! :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12 February 2013, 07:00:43 pm »
I'm not knocking it, I've never tried it, and am not a mechanical engineer.

I just think he's doing his company no favours whatsoever, which is  slightly odd especially in the current climate - his response on the whole makes me less likely to try it.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 February 2013, 08:09:10 pm »
Found this on a type-r forum,amongst other stuff about oil, one part stood out which ive underlined:-

"Although the basestock of an oil will be a major determining factor in the lubrication quality of an oil, chemical additives play a major part in making sure that it does all that it is supposed to do. The chemical additive package of an oil is just as important to insuring the quality of a lubricant as is the particular basestock used.The chemical additive package of an oil is designed to perform a number of tasks and each task is performed by a particular type of chemical. The quality of the chemicals used and the manner in which they are blended plays a large part in determining how well the additive package does its job.

As the quality of the additive chemicals increases, so does the price. In addition, proper blending takes a great deal of research. This requires much time and, again, money.
Therefore, manufacturers will, of course, charge more for motor oils which contain a high quality additive package than those with lower quality additive packages. They simply can't afford not to.

Each chemical within an oils additive package plays a different role in boosting the beneficial properties of it's host lubricant (basestock). "

So maybe it is a cost thing,perhaps companies would add it if people were prepared to pay the price which they aren't or maybe they can't add it because they don't own the patent for that additive.

Or maybe not who knows,im prepared to give it a go anyway.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 February 2013, 09:10:29 pm »
Found this on a type-r forum,amongst other stuff about oil, one part stood out which ive underlined:-

"Although the basestock of an oil will be a major determining factor in the lubrication quality of an oil, chemical additives play a major part in making sure that it does all that it is supposed to do. The chemical additive package of an oil is just as important to insuring the quality of a lubricant as is the particular basestock used.The chemical additive package of an oil is designed to perform a number of tasks and each task is performed by a particular type of chemical. The quality of the chemicals used and the manner in which they are blended plays a large part in determining how well the additive package does its job.

As the quality of the additive chemicals increases, so does the price. In addition, proper blending takes a great deal of research. This requires much time and, again, money.
Therefore, manufacturers will, of course, charge more for motor oils which contain a high quality additive package than those with lower quality additive packages. They simply can't afford not to.

Each chemical within an oils additive package plays a different role in boosting the beneficial properties of it's host lubricant (basestock). "

So maybe it is a cost thing,perhaps companies would add it if people were prepared to pay the price which they aren't or maybe they can't add it because they don't own the patent for that additive.

Or maybe not who knows,im prepared to give it a go anyway.

This is already the case with cheap oils and expensive oils...

When you pay more you are paying for expensive additives that fight friction, corrosion, give better adheasion,reduce drag and foaming, the list goes on...

imho if you are using decent oil you need not worry about expensive extra additives...

Fighting friction is only half the story when it comes to oil.. film thickness and visosity temp range are far more importent to protecting it from going bang!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 February 2013, 11:31:20 pm »

You must have interpreted differently than I did. I didn't get a "sod off if you don't like it" in his message. I got more of a "this product works 100% and if you don't think so, we will refund you even if you used the product and we will call it quits". I don't think a company can be fairer than that.[size=78%] [/size]

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 February 2013, 12:58:15 am »

You must have interpreted differently than I did. I didn't get a "sod off if you don't like it" in his message. I got more of a "this product works 100% and if you don't think so, we will refund you even if you used the product and we will call it quits". I don't think a company can be fairer than that.

Agreed, in this day and age a 100% guarantee is fairly faultless.......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 February 2013, 01:00:55 am »
To all you non believers, call their bluff!

If you don't like it, get a refund!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 February 2013, 08:57:12 am »

I'll give it a pop, I think. Only thing is that I'll have to wait a few months as I only did an oil change recently.  :\

It would be handy if it helped the gear change as 1st to 2nd isn't the sweetest. Thats one strong point with the Bandits that I owned....nice slick gearboxes. The Fazer reminds me of my old XS1100 beast with the same 1st to 2nd traits were you really want to change gear instantly or else you get a more "crunching" sounding gear change. So any improvement there would be most welcome. It's not costing an arm and a leg either if you couldn't even be bothered sending it back.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 February 2013, 09:35:19 am »

I'll give it a pop, I think. Only thing is that I'll have to wait a few months as I only did an oil change recently.  :\

It would be handy if it helped the gear change as 1st to 2nd isn't the sweetest. Thats one strong point with the Bandits that I owned....nice slick gearboxes. The Fazer reminds me of my old XS1100 beast with the same 1st to 2nd traits were you really want to change gear instantly or else you get a more "crunching" sounding gear change. So any improvement there would be most welcome. It's not costing an arm and a leg either if you couldn't even be bothered sending it back.
If you did an oil change recently then that's not a problem at all, just add it now.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 February 2013, 11:56:36 am »
I would say the activ8 guy could have been a little more helpful but im not overly bothered by his reply.

I'm tempted to mail him again.

Quick delivery though, my bottle just arrived in the post & i didnt order it til yesterday lunch time.

Im tempted to chuck some in my car but i've got an ongoing issue with an exhaust pressure sensor that should be fixed soon,in the interests of science & all that i'll wait til that's sorted first so i'm not changing too many variables.it's the mega efficient 3 cylinder motor & i consistently get about 500 miles out've tank local driving.if it makes a difference i'll notice.the engine noise will be hard to prove other than my personal opinion,suppose i could take a video but noise can differ so much depending on atmospherics/wind etc.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 February 2013, 01:39:36 pm »
Have to agree with Rich there, that's a piss-poor responce (sic) from Mr Activ8.
No link to independent research to verify his claims. No citations from any engine manufacturers to say they recommend the use of this snake oil. No major lubricant producers lining up to say Silkolene/Putoline/Castrol would be improved by adding the stuff to their oil would overcome some deficit in their own additive packages. Just a warning to be wary of us unbelievers for we have a hidden agenda. :lol

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Oil Additives
« Reply #40 on: 13 February 2013, 01:43:49 pm »

Thinking a bit more - no, I'm not going to call their bluff. If he can't be arsed to provide, in response to a reasonable question, some scientific evidence, then I'm not gambling with my expensive motor. Getting my money back on the product doesn't come into it.

Stuff him and his product.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 February 2013, 02:02:39 pm »
If it is a miracle cure why not sell the formula to the major oil manufactures for millions instead of 20 quid a bottle? The oil manufactures produce it by the barrel load and the price comes down. There's not much on their site about testing either.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 February 2013, 02:30:54 pm »
If it is a miracle cure why not sell the formula to the major oil manufactures for millions instead of 20 quid a bottle? The oil manufactures produce it by the barrel load and the price comes down. There's not much on their site about testing either.
If the majors wanted to use it, they would. And they don't need to get it from Activ8 either: chlorinated paraffin (the active ingredient) was being used as a cheap EP additive 60 years ago, there's no secret about it and it's not patented. The reason they don't use it (aside from the bio-accumulative problem) is that it's hard to prevent the stuff causing corrosion.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 February 2013, 02:36:01 pm »
Appreciate your comments chaps,some good points there

But i'm willing to risk life & limb & machinery to get mr disky the information he strives

That's the type of foccer i am

Hey disky whats your address for when things go bang,u got paypal?? :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Oil Additives
« Reply #44 on: 13 February 2013, 02:57:06 pm »

Thinking a bit more - no, I'm not going to call their bluff. If he can't be arsed to provide, in response to a reasonable question, some scientific evidence, then I'm not gambling with my expensive motor. Getting my money back on the product doesn't come into it.

Stuff him and his product.

Hardly a gamble is it, i've been using it for years and my bike's running sweeeeet.  :D

Disky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • Driving Instructor Training
« Reply #45 on: 13 February 2013, 04:03:11 pm »
Appreciate your comments chaps,some good points there

But i'm willing to risk life & limb & machinery to get mr disky the information he strives

That's the type of foccer i am

Hey disky whats your address for when things go bang,u got paypal?? :lol

Sorry Noggy,, im just an automated response from a laptop somewhere in cyber space ;) 

Ordered some tho ;)

Disky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • Driving Instructor Training
« Reply #46 on: 13 February 2013, 04:04:46 pm »

Does that mean that every person that sells a product needs a degree, diploma or teachers qualification to reply ?   :lol :lol

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 February 2013, 05:33:46 pm »
Nope, but if you're serious about selling, you need to look professional. He doesn't. He looks shoddy, like he just rushed something off.

And what is there to make me believe he's any more professional about product development - which needs much more care than simply using a spell & grammar checker.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 February 2013, 05:44:49 pm »
You'll come round rich,i got the big bottle if you want to buy some,i can write you a correctly spelled letter with some creative claims if it makes you feel better...actually:-

I feel epic just looking at the bottle!!!

Is that happening to you yet disky???

There's definately some special powers in that bottle.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 February 2013, 07:40:26 pm »
Quality article alert!

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html