Date: 18-05-24  Time: 09:30 am

Author Topic: Another Exup question  (Read 994 times)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Another Exup question
« on: 26 January 2019, 04:01:30 pm »
So I’ve moved on from the TPS to exup  :D
Stripped it all down and cleaned/greased it.
Having put it all back together I started her up and could see that the valve moves about 45 degrees clockwise and stays there whatever the revs. When I switch the engine off it stays at the same position. Switching the ignition on will cause the valve to reset to the correct position over the hole.
I’m sure I’ve got the cables the same way round as before (black outer at the bottom - I might try to swap them over to check anyway) and the valve rotates fully without the cables attached.

Looking on YouTube it seems the valve is continually moving in line with engine revs.
One odd thing I noticed is that with the ignition on but the engine off,  I can hear the servo motor under the tank crackling intermittently (hunting?). It’s a very quiet noise and to be truthful Ive heard it before and just put it down to it being held in the correct position. Obviously I cant hear it with the engine on and there is no smell of burning.

Just thought - Could I have messed up on the TPS setting and that’s causing the Exup to have a paddy??  :eek

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Another Exup question
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2019, 05:22:19 pm »
TPS won't be affecting EXUP, so loose no sleep over that idea. :)

From your description, the EXUP is working fine.  Cables are correctly installed.  You aren't reporting a 7k rpm tacho error code, so the valve must be turning freely, and the cable tension and servo operation is ostensibly correct, too.

The noise you hear from the servo is not unusual.

The EXUP relies on commands from the ECU based on road speed, engine rpm, TPS info (throttle opening/closing and rate of movement), gear selected and so on to determine its position.  You won't see a great deal of movement with the engine in neutral on the centre stand. :)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2019, 05:33:35 pm »
Thank God for this forum!!
I'd have had it all in bits looking for a fault that wasn't there  :b

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2019, 11:58:53 am »
Thank God for this forum!!
I'd have had it all in bits looking for a fault that wasn't there  :b

Agrees with NitramA
This is a bloody good forum with a lot of helpful dudes in here with a lot of knowledge, Nitram posted in here saying how helpful 'Falcon' was with the valuable information posted, thankfully it does not end at that, others will have read it and are now also equipped with that information, plus foccers in the future will be able to search for it and be helped.
There is a lot of knowledge from a lot guys in here, a lot want to be helpful, and are, but a few shine above the rest of us mere mortals.

I don't own or even aspire to a 1K anymore, but I love information, and if I think it may be useful in the future I copy and paste it into a Fazer folder on my PC.
well done keep up the good work.
I am finding Dazzas post on ULEZ very informative as well.