Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:13 am

Author Topic: Clutchless upshifting ?  (Read 5740 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Clutchless upshifting ?
« Reply #25 on: 03 July 2014, 09:48:58 pm »
when I did get it right I found that I had to be getting a move on and the revs were mor like 6-7 k as anything under the shift just wouldnt move

Think you could probably do with a bit more pressure on the gear lever - I'm used to short shifting round London at about 3k Rpm. Give it a go fella.

3k ?? is that on fzs 600 I wonder if it has anything to do with mine being a "98" as they are a bit unique in other areas too.

Yup on the Fazer....even lower on the Tiger. It's all down to the gear lever pressure and increasing the lever pressure at the same time as you start to roll off a nats. Practice makes everything easier.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 July 2014, 11:36:24 pm »
The principle involved here is that the gear lever won't want to move whilst the gearbox is under load - ie acceleration of deceleration.

The way to rake the load off the gearbox on up shifts is to roll the throttle off a touch quickly and then lift the gear lever - just as you would roll off with a clutched changed (the clutch is just a mechanism to disconnect the gearbox from the crankshaft driving force anyway and take the load off).

On downshifts, "blipping" the throttle also reduces the load through the gearbox and makes clutch less shifts easier and smoother.

In the late '80's I had a Ford Fiesta which had a plastic toothed ratchet on the top of the clutch pedal which pulled the clutch cable - and it wore out regularly, leaving me with no clutch. As a result I made half a dozen trips from Liverpool to Newcastle (or back), without a clutch - and once I'd mastered clutch less changes, out of necessity (matching RPM's to speeds in gears), I could change as smoothly without a clutch as with one.

Moving off from a standstill was trickier - into neutral, stop, engine off, into 1st (or 2nd), turn the key in the ignition to engage the starter and as the car jumps forward, hit the gas and let go of the key - then into 2nd ASAP and proceed through the gears. It also made reading the road and reading traffic a real skill, so you try to always keep rolling and avoid harsh acceleration or deceleration.

Great fun - and a surprisingly effective way to drive economically.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2014, 12:01:38 am »
Have you seen little mis sunshine (film)
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2014, 04:54:41 pm »
Have you seen little mis sunshine (film)

lol

Excellent film! I know the bit you mean!

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 July 2014, 05:32:34 pm »
I've always quick shifted since buying my fazer. Got told about it, trued it, loved it. Its so easy  to  match the revs especially with the gear ratio being very close on a fazer. Keep at it. I always use the clutch for downshifting though. And in town 1-3 is all clutchwork.

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 July 2014, 09:19:29 pm »
Might try this for up shifting myself then. Not too sure on down, I don't think I've actually mastered shifting down properly at all... Anyone got an idiots guide so I can compare? As silly as that sounds LOL (I'm not totally useless and can ride fine, just if my life can be easier or smoother I'd prefer it)

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 July 2014, 12:59:25 pm »
Tried this yesterday. Just as easy downshifting as it is up!

My question... Will this cause any damage or premature wear?

It's smooth and I like it but won't do it if its going to cause unnecessary wear

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 July 2014, 01:05:09 pm »
Might try this for up shifting myself then. Not too sure on down, I don't think I've actually mastered shifting down properly at all... Anyone got an idiots guide so I can compare? As silly as that sounds LOL (I'm not totally useless and can ride fine, just if my life can be easier or smoother I'd prefer it)

Main thing to get the hang of with downshifting is blipping the throttle before you close it, it picks the revs up so that when you change down the gears the bike is a hell of a lot smoother!

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 July 2014, 01:10:29 pm »
Yeah I noticed that, if I'm not actually on the throttle and just coasting it won't go down easily, if im throttling and then lift off and shift down its a total dream... Picked up on this pretty quickly, if I'm slowing quickly and not throttling i just clutch it... So much smoother all round though, I'm sure the mrs will be happy about that lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 July 2014, 06:14:27 pm »
I think that we maybe taliking about two different things here perhaps, clutchless up shifting and normal down shifting with clutch but "blipping" the throttle just befor pulling clutch in and removing most of the engine braking leading to smoother down shifting (and sounds good ), I do this without thinking whilst at the same time 1 or 2 fingers on the front brake (and a bit on the back of course)

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 July 2014, 08:35:43 pm »
I mean no touchy clutchy if you're referring to me.... No point using it, it's more work than anything else haha. Pulling away and low rev changes are all ill use the clutch for now.. Unless it causes unnecessary wear or damage of course...

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 July 2014, 04:14:47 pm »
Had a go of the up shifting opn the way to work, works perfect easy stuff. Downshift I use clutch but blip throttle to match revs of the new gear and to make girls caves quiver  8)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2014, 04:22:10 pm by Timbollew »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 July 2014, 07:50:23 pm »
Just an update for me on this is that I have found out why I was not getting on well and it was because I was not giving enough pre "off throttle" pressure on the gear shift, I found that I had to give quite a lot of pressure first and keep it there and as soon as I off the throttle it slips in to the next gear. Keep having to check the speedo as you don't realise the speed so much, its no faster but the lack of any roll on and off motion kind of makes me loose where I am if that makes sense, I guess that I have been subconsciously counting the gears, any way enjoyed it so much I just kept on going for 125 miles