Date: 30-04-24  Time: 14:53 pm

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Front Sprocket cover bolts  (Read 1825 times)

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Front Sprocket cover bolts
« on: 08 August 2014, 02:58:47 pm »
Guys,

Getting a little confused.

Short story : commuting home from work, gear lever refused to changed gears (mega stiff) and clutch lever had a lot of excess play)

got home and tightened up the cable (at the locking nut mechanism). I also took the front sprocket cover off to make sure everything was ok (wee bit of spring clean and a bit of lube)

but - i noticed a couple of bolts were missing.

Checked the PDF (I have a FZS 600 Foxeye Year 2003 - guide indicates 2002) and the parts catalog indicates that there should be 2 bolts and a Dowel. Was there a change between 2003 and 2002?

Page 15 of the PDF guide (Cover / Crankcase)

or am I needing new eyes?

Just looking for the bolt sizes to get some new ones.

« Last Edit: 11 August 2014, 10:51:35 pm by Lazarus »
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Front Sprocket cover bolts
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2014, 03:23:41 pm »
Put your year of bike on here (i noticed there's a couple to choose from) and look at crankcase 1 category.

http://www.ajsutton.co.uk/
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2014, 03:35:56 pm »
Put your year of bike on here (i noticed there's a couple to choose from) and look at crankcase 1 category.

http://www.ajsutton.co.uk/

Cheers darrsi - but that shows me the same diagram I already have - with 2 bolts and 2 dowels.

mine has 5 bolts holding it on
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2014, 03:59:10 pm »
Mines a 2003 and has 5 bolts

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2014, 07:57:47 pm »
No need for new eyes just yet! That diagram shows how many different parts there are but does not show how many of each part you need. It is four of item 6, one of item 7, two of item 5. Item 7 goes in the middle at the back as shown and is longer than the other four.
You will get them much cheaper from a fastener supplier.
They are all 6mm screws and I will now go and measure the length for you.

Item 6 - 4 off -- 6mm x 40mm long socket head bolts.   From the PDF Yamaha pt.no. 91314-06040-00
Item 7 - 1 off -- 6mm x 50mm long socket head bolts.                              "          "      91314-06050-00

You might notice that the middle part of Yam part number gives a clue to the dia and length.  ;) .

Standard stuff, like those bolts, from an industrial supplier will cost about a tenth of the Yamaha (or Sutton) price. One near me in Lancashire   http://www.nutsofchorley.co.uk/   have always been happy to sell to me in small quantities when I call in but I don't know if they do mail order. Plenty on e-bay though.
Places like B & Q not usually much use for bolts on bikes as even if they have the size of bolt you want they are often made from a lower strength of steel.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2014, 09:00:22 pm by limax2 »

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2014, 01:10:01 am »
cheers limax - appreciate the answer