Date: 30-04-24  Time: 09:55 am

Author Topic: MRA Screen Foxeye  (Read 2560 times)

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
MRA Screen Foxeye
« on: 26 April 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
I know it's been done to death. But on the Shetland rideout with Chris last Sun, normal cruising speed was fine. But on the home run I was up at slightly illegal speeds for 1/2 hour and the wind noise was quite annoying. I have a DB screen on at the moment. Some of it is probably my HJC HQ-1 helmet. Has anybody got the MRA screen below fitted. Secondly does anyone have one in there shed/garage I can borrow to try. Bit expensive to buy and find it doesn't make a noticeable difference.
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Yamaha_FZS600_FZS600S_Fazer_2002-2003_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: MRA Screen Foxeye
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2014, 04:25:58 pm »
"...slightly illegal..."  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2014, 07:33:21 pm »
Sure if you keep to the legal limits you won't have a problem  :pokefun

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2014, 08:48:49 pm »
By all accounts the MRA's aren't that effective...
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2014, 11:28:41 pm »
I had that exact MRA screen on my fox eye until Easter weekend. I am 5' 11" and most of my commute is motorway and also at 'slightly illegal' speeds. I replaced it with a 15 euro db screen from eBay, and to be honest there isn't that much of a difference really. In fact I think MRA was throwing turbulent air at my helmet where as simple Chinese dB screen is slightly shorter and a less turbulent air hitting me at chin level. I can't say one screen is better than the other just yet, but if 15 euro one works half as well as the MRA, I would think that's better value.

I notices huge improvement in both comfort and noise levels when I switched from Nitro Aikido to Schuberth SR1. And I always wear earplugs too.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2014, 07:30:10 pm »
ive got one of them m8 - and I think it does make a difference.

im 5' 10" slightly on the large side (full of relaxed muscle)

spoiler seems to throw the air over my helmet so you feel in a "bubble" while riding.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2014, 09:03:40 pm »

im 5' 10" slightly on the large side (full of relaxed muscle)

Ditto, 5' 10" and had a few beers which shows. Will keep an eye on Ebay and on here. Think it's worth a punt

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2014, 02:46:21 pm »
Been meaning to reply to this for a bit but only just got round to taking a pic.

I fitted an MRA X-Creen to a standard foxeye screen, basically a bit bigger than the adjustable bit on a full MRA Vario. After a few trial runs on the M62 testing ground and basically regretting/swearing bothering with the damn thing I gave up and set it up flat like this:

MRA X-Creen
MRA X-Creen

That was a revelation. Basically it catches the air being forced up the screen and diverts it on to the chest meaning my heads in nice clean air, much quieter and less buffeting. It works well at motorway speed +/- a little bit ;) When I had it in the expected more vertical position it just created massive turbulence and noise, awful. I had to duck my head right down behind it to get any peace, basically chin on the tank. I did an experiment the other week and stuck the Puid DB back on, no joy there unless going very much above the limit where it starts to deflect the air higher.

6'1" ish and knock around in a Shoei Qwest if that's of any help.

Cheers,
Rob

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 01:50:15 am »
Been meaning to reply to this for a bit but only just got round to taking a pic.

I fitted an MRA X-Creen to a standard foxeye screen, basically a bit bigger than the adjustable bit on a full MRA Vario. After a few trial runs on the M62 testing ground and basically regretting/swearing bothering with the damn thing I gave up and set it up flat like this:

MRA X-Creen
MRA X-Creen

That was a revelation. Basically it catches the air being forced up the screen and diverts it on to the chest meaning my heads in nice clean air, much quieter and less buffeting. It works well at motorway speed +/- a little bit ;) When I had it in the expected more vertical position it just created massive turbulence and noise, awful. I had to duck my head right down behind it to get any peace, basically chin on the tank. I did an experiment the other week and stuck the Puid DB back on, no joy there unless going very much above the limit where it starts to deflect the air higher.

6'1" ish and knock around in a Shoei Qwest if that's of any help.

Cheers,
Rob

£80+  :eek :eek  I was quite interested until I see that :'(
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2014, 08:48:34 am »
If it's just wind noise bothering you, what about ear plugs?

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2014, 09:09:56 am »
£80+  :eek :eek  I was quite interested until I see that :'(

A lucky bag on Ebay, def not worth £80!

Possibly upgrading to a Pan European front fairing would solve the issues ;)

Cheers,
Rob