Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:10 pm

Author Topic: sprockets/chain's  (Read 1298 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
sprockets/chain's
« on: 29 September 2012, 09:49:57 pm »
Hi guys just a quickie just to see what you think of this front sprocket does it look good or replacement due not telling you the mileage as somepeople have mileage phobias get to a certain mileage and hey Preesto you got to change this that and the other say what ya think as a newbie im still learning
« Last Edit: 29 September 2012, 09:54:36 pm by ddtwelve »

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: sprockets/chain's
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2012, 11:08:46 pm »
I have seen worse but I would say yes replacement is due. If a decent chain has always been lubricated then the front sprocket is always the first thing in the drive train to show wear. Good practice is to change booth sprockets and the chain at the same time. However if the chain is not showing signs of wear it makes economic sence to just fit a new front sprocket. (No doubt some will slate me for that comment). However never fit a new chain to a worn sprocket,that doesn't make any sence.
Your comment about mileage is spot-on as there are so many factors that affect the life of the drive chain, including lubrication and correct adjustment.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2012, 11:40:53 pm »
There is slight hooking visible, but not bad enough to make me want to change it just yet... particularly since it looks like an OE one (i.e. quieter than the cheap ones).

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2012, 12:28:02 am »
What's that rusty looking thing, didn't have one of those on mine?

Poodyboy

• GP Hero
  • Where can I find me some hookers?
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW S1000rr HP4
    • View Profile
sprockets/chain's
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2012, 11:01:05 am »
What's that rusty looking thing?

That's his bike :pokefun
I can put three hundred letters in here? Really?  I can dump this much crap at the bottom of each and every post and reply that I do, and there not a stinking thing  you can do about it.  I can also put in a picture you say?  My my, aren’t we generous with the space all of a sudden.  This won’t last

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
  • My cat climbed in and sat looking at me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2012, 09:28:46 pm »
I have just changed my chain and sprockets but with good reason. The bike sounded so bad when riding it through the grounching of the partially seized chain links that it made it impossible to ride. I had my very first ride on my trusty steed yesterday!!...Only being a 6, she doesn't seem to have a lot of oomph up to 5000rpm but after that .....bloody hell it flies!...........Needs a new noisier can now!
Your picture doesn't look as though it needs it just yet but if the bike chatters to you when you free wheel then definately replace the chain and both sprockets. Ebay £71.00 for a full set!  :)
Live life, Love life.