Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:26 pm

Author Topic: Front Forks Fix/Change?  (Read 6313 times)

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Front Forks Fix/Change?
« on: 23 April 2013, 04:56:26 pm »
Hi Foccers,

Now, I know this has been answered in differing ways a million times already - but after using the search and getting 150 different opinions I'm totally confused!

Firstly, my problem:-

I have a 2001 Fazer Thou.  I am an averagely weighted rider, and I ride fairly sensibly, though I do sometimes "press on".  I've never really found my suspension to be a problem on the Fazer other than it feeling a little unsettled under braking on crappy roads.  That said, I did splash out on an R6 rear shock from DevilsYam last year, and I've always had the forks dropped through 20mm or so - which did improve my riding experience nicely - even if I didn't know it was a problem before!

My issue is she eats right-hand fork seals.  I seem to be replacing them every two years or so and I've just got back from a failed MOT as it popped another on the way to the test centre.  Left hand side has been done once before, but it didn't leak before or after (I just had it done as the other side was already out).  I'm wondering if its either a problem with the fork stanchion, or maybe a problem that I don't ride her enough to keep things lubed?

Either way, I'm now looking at trying to find a garage to stick some new seals in again, costing another £80+.

However, before I do, I wondered if there were any direct replacements that would be an "upgrade" as well?  I believe the R6 5EB front forks might bolt straight in(?), and the 5SL ones go in with a bit of work, and I've seen these go for £120 odd you see...  Not sure about early R1 offerings, but I don't want to go USD or go spending £300-500 on a Ktech rebuild or entire R1 front end... but if I can get either some R1 or R6 forks that fit nicely as is for £150, without (much) modification or changing yokes and brakes and stuff then it might make sense to do now, rather than sorting the seals?

Thoughts please!  Alternatively, if anyone local to Camberley wants to come and pop some new seals in for some beer money - that might be a third option!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Front Forks Fix/Change?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2013, 06:59:05 pm »
Strange that only one side keeps blowing, you may have pitting or wear on the fork stanchion / bushes

Regarding R6 forks, you're close - 5SL fit pretty much straight in, 5EB forks also fit but may have too much travel & foul the radiator etc.

Installation thread below:

http://fazer1000.yuku.com/reply/23677/Re-R6-forks-nonUSD-for-Gen1#.UXbKkkqjR6Y

You will need a few more bits such as 5SL front axle but should come in under £150 total if you scour ebay.

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2013, 07:50:50 pm »
Hi kebab,

I saw your build thread, very interesting, seems like these might be the way forward, though I'm not sure travel will be a problem, don't ride THAT hard! And the r6 forks are of a similar spring rate to standard, plus they are  lighter?

Is there much difference between the 5sl and 5eb?

Are there any r1 setups that are worth considering, or are they all replacement yokes and stuff?

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2013, 07:37:49 am »
I think I've answered my own question, I believe the only direct bolt on replacement that utilises the Fazer yokes and everything else, is the R6 5SL and 5EB route... 

So 5SL is the black leg bases which require the R6 axle too...and has a short travel so no problems with rad fouling.  5EB has a longer travel but can utilise the fazer axle.  It seems the 5EB is the more direct bolt on replacement of the two, but the fork may be a problem - these also seem to go for 10%-20% less on eBay too.  Are there any other advantages to either?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2013, 09:25:53 am »
Yes, the 5EB forks would fit using the standard Fazer axle etc & are more common / slightly cheaper. It's the extra travel that stops me from recommending them instead.

Not sure if the internals of the 5SL forks are better than the 5EB setup - here's Yamaha blurb / media notes re the 5SL's forks:
 "Together with the use of lighter fork tubes on the 43mm forks, and a new front wheel axle secured by a total of four pinch bolts, these changes enhance steering feedback and give the front end of the new R6 a more responsive feel."
Not sure how much that would be noticed attached to a Fazer!

Advantage - basically the forks are some 40mm shorter, which changes the frame geometry by quite a bit. This geometry change is identical to the R1 fork conversion & most people who have done it think the steering / handling is miles better than standard.

But bear in mind that the R6 forks are attached to a bike some 40kg lighter, so the standard springs may be too light unless you are very light. I switched 1.0kg/mm springs in from an Aprilia RSV4 and 'Oldson' used 0.95kg/mm springs from a Honda Blackbird. 'Black Cabbie' retained the original r6 springs & thought they were fine.

Or you could try emulating "Macmivvi's" alterations to the standard forks, also mentioned on this thread below. 

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1722.0.html

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2013, 10:09:46 am »
I'm all for lightness, so I guess moving to the 5SL makes most sense... I'd never consider another bike if mine was 40kgs lighter. Shame the forks are black though, they are going on a silver and blue bike!

I 'm not light though, which is a concern, as I don't want to go stripping things down already,  I've actually lowered the rear a bit too, so I guess I'd not have quite as much weight over the front anyway. Are the forks much lighter than standard? Don't suppose you weighed them did you?

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 10:27:53 am »
A bit more information, I have braked as hard as I can from around 70mph and I have got around 5mm of travel left!!

Well worth the trouble of changing, the bike feels much more planted.
If you are that bothered about black forks the paint them! My bike is a silver engine blue bodywork 05 and I think it looks fine.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2013, 03:04:17 pm »
If you are always blowing the same seal, then instead of just replacing it, you should try and fix the problem that is causing that seal to blow. Yes, seals do 'just wear out'  but many, if not most, Fazer's will still be on their original seals. 

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
Some forks here..
FOR SALE:R1 forks, clamps, spindle, fork extenders........fazer1000 gen1
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=7439
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2013, 09:10:25 am »
ive got the 5sl r6 forks on my fazer, and am very happy with them.... what attracted me to this after kebab's excellent investigation into the logistics of this, is that it is a simple fork transplant.

i've got the original springs with 5w (light) fork oil, and they are fine.

i dont accept however that it is the same as a r1 fork swap, as the change in offest when using r1 yokes must further alter the handling and ride height of the bike.....

maybe kebab who has done both mods to his bike can comment.

to be honest i'm still considering the 5pw r1 fork upgrade..... does the change in offset when using these forks and r1 yokes somewhat compensate for the lower front end that you get by simply using 40mm shorter forks in the original yokes....... The wheelbase of a r1 forked fazer must be shorter than the wheelbase of my bike, but by how much and does it make a difference  .... who knows

cheers all
« Last Edit: 25 April 2013, 09:25:17 am by blackcabbie »

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2013, 01:39:30 pm »
Blackcabbie,

It's exactly this reason, the ease of fitting, that is inspiring me - I'm not looking for out and out best performance - if I was I'd go and buy a supersports!  However, if I can fix a fork seal for £xx, or change to R6 shocks for £xx + £50 and gain performance whilst losing weight, well, it's a bit of a no brainer really.  Hell, I might even make that £50 back by selling my one good Fazer fork on eBay!

To that end I have decided to go down this route.  I've found some R6 forks and a spindle, not the cheapest at £150 all in, but they are near me for collection, and apparently in good condition.  I'll see how I get on and report back - should hopefully have it done in a week and be back on the road and legal - woot!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2013, 02:12:40 pm »
Excellent! And when your Fazer's fork legs are taken off you can take your time investigating what's wrong with the RHS leg, fix it proper & then keep as spares or put back on in less than an hour's graft.

PM me if you need further guidance beyond the installation thread; I'm sure Oldson & Black Cabbie would also be happy to offer their advice / experiences too

Despite not claiming to ride hard, the R6 forks might actually give you the confidence to 'push on' a bit more: certainly worked for me ;-)

Flip

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2013, 02:26:47 pm »
I'm taking notes from your build thread, hopefully I won't find it that much like hard work!

I'm more likely to whack the old forks up for sale straight away - otherwise they'll just sit in my garage for three years taking up space - I have far too much "oh I might use that sometime" stuff  in there already!  Can't decide whether or not to paint the legs silver though, maybe I'll try them black and see how it looks.

When I say I don't ride hard - I perhaps mean that I don't hang off the bike scraping my knees and elbows on the floor at roundabouts - I don't potter around like Miss Daisy - I did manage to play with the quick boys in the intermediate group at a bike track day!  Much to their horror when I turned up and took my luggage off then set about chasing them down with their slick tyres and "proper" bikes!  My ol' sports touring tyres didn't like it much though, rear tyre looked like the dog had eaten it by lunchtime.

dtm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2013, 06:40:31 pm »
Hi all

I've been looking at this topic, and I "have" to change my forks. My left side fork is not that good, and after replacing the seal just 1 month ago, it is already leaking again. The outer tube has got some deepish gauges and I thinks that is why she is leaking. Anyway, I can only find the earlier R6 forks, 5EB in Portugal, and have eared about the spring rate and the possibility of bottoming out and hitting the fender or radiator. From out I found out the spring rate of the 5EB is about 0.76KG/mm, and the Fazer ones are 0.83kg/mm to 1.2kg/mm. Will changing the springs from the Fazer forks to the R6 forks bring any improvements? Has anyone tried it?

Regards,

Daniel Mota
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 06:46:19 pm by dtm »

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2013, 09:25:33 am »
dtm you have mail