Date: 27-04-24  Time: 06:30 am

Author Topic: Banging into first  (Read 4417 times)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Banging into first
« on: 04 September 2013, 08:38:26 pm »
Hi all,

My Gen 1 makes a right big BANG noise as I put it in first. Is this normal and if not is it a known issue?

I have had other bikes where this was caused by sticky plates which could often be sorted by holding the clutch in for 5 secs before engaging first. This bike always needs quite a stomp on the lever.

Clutch feels and works fine apart from this. Gear changes can be a little clunky, but that could just be me  :rolleyes . It is an embarrassing noise too and my mechanical sympathy gland goes into spasm.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Banging into first
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2013, 09:15:50 pm »
Yup, quite normal. My ZZR is just as bad. Some bikes are like that, but Suzukis much less so. Mind, they've always made sweet gearboxes.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2013, 09:42:59 pm »
Yup, quite normal. My ZZR is just as bad. Some bikes are like that, but Suzukis much less so. Mind, they've always made sweet gearboxes.

Except for RG500s. Notchy as hell, so much so that the linkage rods used to break at the point where the threaded end met the rod. Harris Performance actually made a beefier rod for them, but it didn't eradicate the weak point unfortunately.
Yes, mines pretty much the same, clunks into first from neutral, you get used to it  :\

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2013, 10:43:52 pm »
Funnily enough Nick, a loud bang into 1st isn't my overriding memory of my only ride on an RG500..... in order they struck me those memories were the difference in fit and finish between it's fairings and my VFR, the stink of petrol from the leaking carbs, the way it shook up and down like a windy pick until I hit the fast roads and then jeezuzbastardhellshitthebedfuckmesidewaysfuckerfuckerfuckeraaaaarghhhhh as it hit the power band, and ending with 'will you please turn you utter sod' as I wobbled round a corner.

Still, barking mad machines, big two strokes. What a shame they aren't allowed onto the world's roads any more.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2013, 10:53:46 pm by AyJay »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2013, 10:53:23 pm »
jeezuzbastardhellshitthebedfuckmesidewaysfuckerfuckerfuckeraaaaarghhhhh

I think they might even have named it that, but it wouldn't fit on the fairing  :lol  - even an acronym (as were so popular for everything back then) would have been too long winded!
I remember trying to ride mine up the M11 to go to work. There are no petrol stations on there on the stretch I was using, but the bike wanted to get going just as you reached reasonable m/way speeds, like a hunting dog waiting to be let off the leash. But if you gave it it's head, it'd suck all the fuel out of the tank in no time! A very unsuccessful experiment.
I think my mind has blocked out most of my experiences of it to preserve my sanity!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2013, 10:55:54 pm »
That's exactly what it felt like - a hunting dog straining at the leash. Dead right. Makes the occasional unexpected wheelie from the Fazer seem like nothing at all doesn't it!

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2013, 11:13:39 am »
Hi all,

My Girl 1 makes a right big BANG noise as I put it in first. Is this normal and if not is it a known issue?

I have had other girls where this was caused by sticky flaps which could often be sorted by holding the tits for 5 secs before engaging first. This girl always needs quite a stomp with the lever.

Clutch feels and works fine apart from this. Gear changes can be a little clunky, but that could just be me  :rolleyes . It is an embarrassing noise too and my mechanical sympathy gland goes into spasm.

Yes I know I need help  :rolleyes
where does the muffler go?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2013, 11:30:28 am »
Hi all,

My Gen 1 makes a right big BANG noise as I put it in first. Is this normal and if not is it a known issue?

I have had other bikes where this was caused by sticky plates which could often be sorted by holding the clutch in for 5 secs before engaging first. This bike always needs quite a stomp on the lever.

Mn my 600 Fazer it can be reduced (the noise) if you give it a bit of gas, before putting in first. Just blip the throttle, and while the revs are dropping, pop into first.  Not sure if it works on 1000 though (it shoud work :)   ).
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2013, 11:36:50 am »
Slaninar, thank you for your comments.
My bastardisation of the original post has escaped your seemingly clean mind. Please reed my previous post again.
I am sure you and Jez have some sickness as well  :evil :rollin
« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 11:37:24 am by Camshaft »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2013, 02:12:46 pm »
Slaninar, thank you for your comments.
My bastardisation of the original post has escaped your seemingly clean mind. Please reed my previous post again.

Something about mammary glands and bees?  :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2013, 03:59:04 pm »

If your gear changes into 1st and 2nd require more force on the gear lever or even dont go in untill you feather the clutch then you have an easily fixable issue.

A known issue with Gen1's (as I found out recently when I diagnosed a gear change issue) is the clutch hub can become worn where the steel clutch plates hit against it  and also the basket where the friction plates hit against that.

I took the clutch out of the bike (complete) and then fashioned a small rubber block the same width as the slots in the clutch hub and some with fine grade (800 or 1000 I think) emery paper and dressed each slot till the wear marks from the plates were mostly gone.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 04:01:33 pm by b1k3rdude »

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2013, 09:55:40 pm »

How dare you, sir  :eek . We are squeaky clean Foccers around here  :evil

Thanks to b1k3rdude, although I think that is a project for the winter  ;) .
« Last Edit: 12 September 2013, 10:00:37 pm by Jez »

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2013, 11:56:13 am »

How dare you, sir  :eek . We are squeaky clean Foccers around here  :evil

Thanks to b1k3rdude, although I think that is a project for the winter  ;) .

Oh Jez, I don't know who is female or male anymore (except the male whale) so forgive my comments in the name of humour (I'm not giving up my day job)  :lol
« Last Edit: 13 September 2013, 11:56:47 am by Camshaft »

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2013, 07:49:23 pm »
Mate I thought your interpretation was hilarious.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2013, 10:05:18 pm »
In response to the OP

Cured this on both my Gen 1s by filling the oil to slightly above the full mark.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

FazerRuss

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2013, 03:44:52 pm »
jeezuzbastardhellshitthebedfuckmesidewaysfuckerfuckerfuckeraaaaarghhhhh as it hit the power band, and ending with 'will you please turn you utter sod' as I wobbled round a corner.

LMFAO!!! :rollin

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2013, 05:06:18 am »
Nice work b1k3rdude, I'll try to remember this if I get the same problem

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2013, 05:14:38 pm »
In response to the OP

Cured this on both my Gen 1s by filling the oil to slightly above the full mark.

Nice call, Seangee. I did the same and it is much improved. In fact the engine generally is much smoother and less 'dry' feeling. The banging is still there but I can live with it now  :thumbup

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2013, 09:47:31 am »
In response to the OP

Nice call, Seangee. I did the same and it is much improved. In fact the engine generally is much smoother and less 'dry' feeling. The banging is still there but I can live with it now  :thumbup

Less 'dry' That's a new one.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2013, 02:15:08 pm »
Also have a look at the tick over speed, if it is too high that  will make things worse, for a clunky gear change my firestorm was terrible and worse than the fazer