Date: 27-04-24  Time: 09:43 am

Author Topic: someone tried to nick my bike last night  (Read 5132 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
someone tried to nick my bike last night
« on: 26 February 2014, 05:31:30 pm »
someone tried to nick my thou last night, thankfully they were amateurs as they tried to lever the handlebar to break the steering lock, not very happy!!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: someone tried to nick my bike last night
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2014, 05:37:31 pm »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2014, 06:38:45 pm »
oh dear, was the bike outside?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2014, 06:47:26 pm »
oh dear, was the bike outside?
unfortunately yes, I have not long moved and have no where to keep the bike, never had any issues at the last place and the bike was kept on the drive.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2014, 07:42:41 pm »
how can aj Sutton ( http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9753/33/yamaha%20fzs1000%20fazer/steering%20handle.%20cable?uID=0 ) quote £97.43 where my local Yamaha dealer quote £46?

Sorry to hear about the bike but at least they didn't get away with it. Still a bummer though  :(

In answer to your question above, Because they are a rip off merchant. Most part prices listed on their website can be beaten either through Ebay or other Yamaha dealers. I usually get a quote for parts through Fowlers and take it from there.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2014, 03:52:30 am »
Bad news about thieving scumbag b*stards trying to steal your bike. But luckily they were to thick to steal it. If it's just a set of bars you have been quite lucky, as quite often the little scroats will kick it over if they can't nick it. :(
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

blade023

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2014, 04:54:31 pm »
Sorry to hear about this, I've had a couple of bikes messed about with when they were parked on a private driveway. I always try to keep my bike out of sight. I wanted to point out though that unfortunately it's quite likely that they'll come back better equipped and have another go. If I were you I'd invest in some more security to make it harder to pinch. I get quite a lot of hints and tips from my Grandfather who worked in the police force and security amongst other things. He knows his stuff.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2014, 07:19:37 pm »
The security thing is right up my alley.

To start off, get a CCTV sign straight away and mount it in the wall right behind the bike so they can see it.

PIR controlled security light next, mount it no higher than 7' off the ground, and shine it onto the approach route leading up to the bike.

Finally, get CCTV installed, infra red preferably, and make it obvious. Yet again, don't mount it too high off the ground. Scrotes wear caps and hoods, these cast shadows over their faces. The higher up the light/camera, the more shadow you cast.

You can do the usual of ground anchor, and friggin huge chain, also gates on your property with a lock of some sort. And cover the bike up!

The last thing is that bikers hate gravel drives, burglars hate them more! They often walk away from gravel paths, too noisy.

I hope the fookers don't comeback and have another go. Keep that bike of yours safe dude!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2014, 05:14:13 am »
Chain a Rottweiller to the bike :)  Just joking ;)  My Rottie would have licked them to death :lol
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2014, 07:49:10 am »
Chain a Rottweiller to the bike :)  Just joking ;)  My Rottie would have licked them to death :lol
or watch the scrote fake an orgasm when it humps his leg :D

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2014, 07:57:47 am »
where does the muffler go?

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2014, 08:28:44 am »
thats just plain stupid feel for the guy having it nicked but really would you let someone just test ride it away without checks 2 or 3 forms of id  or cash car keys in your hand or a another body to stay behind with you etc
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2014, 08:33:31 am »
Some bastard tried to have mine last Xmas! I live in a flat so bike is in a private car park. Not sure what stopped them, the ground anchor n monster chain........ Or the Datatag that is stickered all over it??
I fitted an alarm the following week, mainly as flashing led as extra deterrent.   . plus the hope that the noise may let me get my hands on the bastards!!!! Or at least chase em off!!
Glad you've still got ya ride tho!

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2014, 08:43:45 am »
The security thing is right up my alley.

To start off, get a CCTV sign straight away and mount it in the wall right behind the bike so they can see it.

PIR controlled security light next, mount it no higher than 7' off the ground, and shine it onto the approach route leading up to the bike.

Finally, get CCTV installed, infra red preferably, and make it obvious. Yet again, don't mount it too high off the ground. Scrotes wear caps and hoods, these cast shadows over their faces. The higher up the light/camera, the more shadow you cast.

You can do the usual of ground anchor, and friggin huge chain, also gates on your property with a lock of some sort. And cover the bike up!

The last thing is that bikers hate gravel drives, burglars hate them more! They often walk away from gravel paths, too noisy.

I hope the fookers don't comeback and have another go. Keep that bike of yours safe dude!

for every up there's a down. let's say that i'm a bike thief, i'll take these points in order:

a sign - hmmm, am i scared?

security light - after every cat, fox, hedgehog and squirrel (not to mention other building dwellers) have set this off a few times and the bike owner hasn't come rushing out then a light makes it easy for me to see what i'm doing if it's dark - thank you!

cctv - pah. balaclava and overalls.

ground anchor and chain - now there's a better deterrent. nothing that a decent bar and cutting tool won't see to but then i'm thinking that the owner will be coming if i start making noise.

gravel drive - no thanks. noise and a fair chance of toppling over once i'm on the bike and trying to get away.

so what else?

decent alarm and immobiliser? no thanks again. more noise once i disturb it and i have to know how to get around it if i'm to ride the bike away.

a decent sturdy shed or garage to house the bike? no thanks. i have to gain entry to this first - breaking and entering to be taken into consideration.

any vehicle's weakest security points are their users. we all want to be able to jump on/in and be away - hence a single fob/key combination. so really i'm better off entering the adjacent property and taking a look around for said keys! it just goes on and on.

as an aside on ground anchors - i've always considered a large eye on a long thread to be more secure than a bolt down plate type anchor. in order to unscrew the eye it turns and tightens any chain that goes through it. plate type anchors can be chiselled up.

in this case solo i'm guessing that these thieves/vandals won't return. anyone that bends your handlebar trying to break the steering lock doesn't have too much experience of taking a bike. i think it was a one off attempt, probably drink fuelled.

given the above if someone wants your (any) bike they'll have it. probably the easiest theft these days is to wait for the owner to come to a vehicle, threaten or attack the owner and take said vehicle. i'm quite a big bloke and can handle myself but i'm also self employed - so would rather a couple of blokes had my bike than defend it and take the injuries and time off work....
is it clean enough?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2014, 02:27:15 pm »
Hell fire bludclot, your a bit cynical aren't you?

I only mentioned these tips because they're instant, cost effective, and they work! But if a thief wants your bike that bad, he'll have it regardless what you do.

I work in the industry where modern immobiliser systems, complicated locks, and garages are overcome by one very simple, and scarily increasing trend. Burglars!
As you may or may not know, the vast majority of vehicle theft these days is through burglary where houses are targeted for their car/bike, and just the keys taken.

I've even seen houses broken into where the car blocking the bike in had the keys nicked just to move it, and the bike taken. Just to take the piss, they left the car there with the keys in it!

Believe it or not, houses with overt cctv, and the other things I've mentioned don't get burgled as much as those without.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2014, 03:30:31 pm »

Best anti theft device...............buy a bandit ;)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2014, 04:19:31 pm »
Best anti theft device...............buy a bandit ;)
lmao. I left mine outside with the keys in it. I was disappointed when I got back to it next morning and someone left me a "with sympathy" card on the seat.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2014, 11:00:31 pm »
Now I'm not a fan of the  seat type on the fazer. I much prefer the hinge type for convenience, however, my last bike, a superdream  400 :o  went untouched for months in the flats corner car park, a shortcut for many a pisshead.  Then one evening I couldn't be arsed to remove the seat and take it in doors and hey presto the bike was nicked that night.

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2014, 11:59:18 pm »
Yes a security light might give a would be thief lighting to steal your bike, but it might also deter them because they don't know who's watching them. Big chain, disc lock etc, make it as hard as you can for them.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 March 2014, 11:52:55 pm »
I have now moved the bike to behind a fence at the side of the house so it is no longer in view, I have ordered an alarm which has a sensor for if the bike is picked up, it will be fitted properly not using crimped connectors etc, I have also covered the bike up and the chain is through the back wheel.
I have changed the bars but now I have to twist the top yoke as they twisted that also, that is an easy job for tomorrow.

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 March 2014, 08:10:31 am »
Buy some heavy duty fish hooks and if they come back use the hooks to hang them upside down by the nuts !! they may think twice before trying it again  :lol

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2014, 11:48:17 am »
All this talk of stupid thieving gits has reminded me of when some knobs tried to nick the outboard motor off my dinghy, they swam across the river to get to it, were disturbed trying to get the motor clamps undone, now the motor clamps were not locked just salt crusted, if they got the motor off were they going to swim back over the river clutching an outboard motor? the almost new dinghy worth £500 was not in anyway security marked and only tied up with a quick figure of eight hitch and the motor is worth £100 max....(mid 70's, maybe early 80's at latest)
Just can't get the criminals these days!
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 March 2014, 06:29:45 pm »
at last I have managed to get the steering straight, took several attempts to get it right, I also lowered the forks 5mm while I was doing it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 March 2014, 08:26:33 pm »
at last I have managed to get the steering straight, took several attempts to get it right, I also lowered the forks 5mm while I was doing it.
Good effort Solorider. It takes a bit of doing to get it bang on. You'll notice quite a difference by dropping the forks through too. :thumbup

FazerRuss

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 March 2014, 12:04:39 pm »
You can get a cheap alarm form Hawk that is easy to fit. (£20-£30)

Good adjustability on the sensitivity, flashing LED, and is loud enough to be a good deterrent with all the hazard lights flashing.

That and chain it to the ground.

If you're friendly with the neighbours, maybe you could leave the bike in their garage/shed or somewhere behind locked gates out of sight for a while incase the same bastards come back to have another go.