Date: 28-04-24  Time: 06:38 am

Author Topic: Monza for WSB  (Read 2197 times)

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Monza for WSB
« on: 12 January 2012, 04:51:59 pm »
Hi
Any one been before ? ,any hips and tips ?
Have a route in mind as have been through Italy before but up for any first hand info on good roads ,hotels etc

Ta
BR
Its just a ride

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Monza for WSB
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
I went in 2004 and the only problem I had was my intended route from France to Italy was shut due to snow. After the skiing season finished they didn't bother keeping the pass open. It was the one of the smaller roads from from Bourge st Maurice. The main routes will be ok, I had to divert through the Frejus tunnel.

There are websites showing the current state of the passes such as this one http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2012, 02:05:40 pm »
ta for that. i am planning to use bourg en bresse to susa a route I think it stays open year round but will check the website before we set off
Its just a ride

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2012, 07:51:38 am »
If you can take in the french alps ralphie, its a truly awesome ride. I have ridden over col d isare twice now, en route to france from northern Italy, the roads around albertville are great too.Depends on how much time you have. Personally I would at least try to do it on way back. Take the autostrada across Italy and the turn off for col disare is from that . It wasnt hard to find, but a great ride. There are some fantastic bends running down to Lansleberg, where btw  you can get fuel on your  UK credit cards...very few filling stations about but this one took my card.Take a look at it on google maps.You can take a route back from albertville , through annecy , and  over the Jura mountains too which is nice...and avoids going into switzerland and paying £30 for a vignette !
We stopped at chaumont before blasting back to calais, taking the slower scenic route over the Jura , but the motorway runs parallel, so you can take that  if you need to make time.

cheers

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2012, 03:41:28 pm »
Ta Jon,
Bit tight on time only have 8 days and will be at Monza 3 days but will see what I can incorporate from the above
Its just a ride