Date: 16-05-24  Time: 10:48 am

Author Topic: Gen 2 Modification Advice Please  (Read 2265 times)

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Gen 2 Modification Advice Please
« on: 16 January 2017, 11:33:32 am »
Going to do a few upgrades & would like to ask if anyone has any recent experience / advice of the following:

1) Rear shock - Nitron NTR R1 Mono shock

- Is it worth paying the extra to add the hydraulic preload adjuster?  I sometimes take the mrs on the back but as I've removed the rear foot pegs.......:-)

2) Braided Hoses

HEL or Goodridge?

- purely cosmetic but as it's due a fluid change I want to change them. Quite a significant price hike from standard price as well.
Unfortunately it's ABS model & it's not straightforward - if I supply them my local Yamaha dealer has agreed to fit them for £60 inc fluid which I think is reasonable.

Levers  - ASV /Brake & Clutch

Already bought these ready to fit - just wondering wether to change handlebars at same time - Any recommendations?

Final Drive - Thinking of changing chain & Sprockets as just below 15k miles. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: 16 January 2017, 11:34:10 am by Drax »
Paradox - A bit like paracetamol but different.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 2 Modification Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2017, 03:52:24 pm »
Any branded braided brake line will be good, as you say Hel and Goodridge, also Wemoto are very competative price wise.
I am looking to change brake lines on my FZ1s abs also , but like you are unsure of the procedure with abs. I think the abs unit has to be cycled somehow to get the fluid to pump through, I don't know how to do that or even if it is the correct procedure.
Don't want to change them until I am sure of the correct way to do it, have changed to braided lines on many bikes in the past and apart from the bleeding being a pain and some patience needed it is quite easy to do.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2017, 06:08:07 pm »
I got 22k out the original chain and spox, so why not keep them going for a bit longer?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2017, 06:17:16 pm »
I have the goodridge hoses on mine (red with gold banjos) all well and good, only negative a can note is the fact that they bang on the middle part of the triple tree which is annoying but not a serious issue.

If you swap the bars out I'd recommend forking out the little bit extra for Rizoma bars, got them on mine and they are fantastic. Light as a feather and a come with adjustment markers so you can get them exactly where is best for your riding style.
Of course there always Renthals to consider too if you like the bmx look haha

Chain and sprockets it's always good to just stick with D.I.D
There are cheaper alternatives but they are widely considered to be the best.
I've got the gold chain and sprockets on mine which are a waste of money as they spend the majority of their life black so next time I'll save the extra £20

Can't comment on the rear shock as it's one of the last things I need to do so I'll be attacking that one myself sometime over the next 12months

« Last Edit: 16 January 2017, 06:18:41 pm by Dudeofrude »

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2017, 07:40:28 pm »
I think that us foccers get a discount if you phone HEL

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2017, 09:04:10 pm »
The discount code is forum 25, but only works for on line orders. They told me that only last month, it also includes the necessary brake fluid, making a 25% discount very welcome :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2017, 09:16:30 pm »
Just tried it and just to be clear it's FORUM25
exactly like that and it does work.
Cheers robbo 👏👏👏

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2017, 10:20:57 pm »
Hi Dude,
When I ordered some stuff in December it would only recognize the discount code in lower case, but maybe that changes each month.Anyhow, you're all sorted, that's the main thing :) .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2017, 11:12:07 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone

Dude -

The Rizoma stuff does look good - Do you need to buy the bar risers as well or can you use the original clamps?

DID Chain / Sprockets - Don't mind paying the extra for tried & tested kit - bit like tyres

Do you you know if the OEM sprocket is the best as I read somewhere that it has a rubber cushioning washer or something to prevent vibration?

Pilninggas  - May consider another season out of the chain & spend the cash on something else

Robbo - 25% discount. Made my day. Many thanks for that. It's paid for them to be fitted.

Slappy - Like you no problem changing them myself normally, but as ABS I think that you have to have the power on in order to open the valves /pump or something....?

Because it's the brakes , because I don't know &  because I can't find enough useful information to remove any doubt after trawling the net - I have no hesitation at all taking it to Yamaha.

- Not worth taking the risk & I think £60 is reasonable for a dealers

Thanks Everyone :)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2017, 04:58:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone

Dude -

The Rizoma stuff does look good - Do you need to buy the bar risers as well or can you use the original clamps?

DID Chain / Sprockets - Don't mind paying the extra for tried & tested kit - bit like tyres

Do you you know if the OEM sprocket is the best as I read somewhere that it has a rubber cushioning washer or something to prevent vibration?

Pilninggas  - May consider another season out of the chain & spend the cash on something else

Robbo - 25% discount. Made my day. Many thanks for that. It's paid for them to be fitted.

Slappy - Like you no problem changing them myself normally, but as ABS I think that you have to have the power on in order to open the valves /pump or something....?

Because it's the brakes , because I don't know &  because I can't find enough useful information to remove any doubt after trawling the net - I have no hesitation at all taking it to Yamaha.

- Not worth taking the risk & I think £60 is reasonable for a dealers

Thanks Everyone :)

I have the Rizoma risers too as my bars are 1 inch in the centre then taper out to 3/8 so I can still have normal switchgear etc so mine wouldn't fit in the standard riser but not sure of any others they may sell?

As for the front sprocket, I've got a -2 Renthal front one on mine and it hasn't got the rubber coating. It doesn't seem any louder or more vibey than a standard one bit then again my exhaust is very loud and the bike is quite vibey anyway so I may just not be noticing?

I had a quick look at the brake lines for the abs bike....... ouch!! That's a big price difference isn't it haha thankfully not something you will ever have to replace again.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2017, 08:34:16 pm »
Instead of a Nitron etc. shock you might think about fitting a Satan R1 shock adapter and an R1 shock- much better quality shock and plenty available on fleabay. There is also the added advantage of a slight increase in ride height which sharpens the steering a bit.
Rob

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2017, 04:38:17 pm »
Thanks Rob. Will give it a look.