Date: 21-05-24  Time: 21:59 pm

Author Topic: is there a way to adjust the gears?  (Read 2488 times)

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
is there a way to adjust the gears?
« on: 15 November 2012, 09:24:20 pm »
Ive had my fazer a couple of weeks now and I can't get use to the gears. When shifting gears I find that you really have to lift the gear arm up for it to change. Is there a way to adjust something so I only have to move it about an inch to change gear instead of about 3 inches like it is now. Thanx

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: is there a way to adjust the gears?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2012, 09:26:01 pm »
Are you struggling with all changes or in particular first to second?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2012, 09:30:05 pm »
You should be talking in millimetres not inches, something doesn't sound right?  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2012, 09:46:05 pm »
You can adjust the gear lever position.
Slacken off the two locknuts at each end of the rod that runs from the lever to the shaft and rotate the rod... note one end is a left-hand thread!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2012, 09:50:17 pm »
Check the punch mark on the shaft lines up with slot in the gear change bracket on the shaft.
The linkage can be adjusted by turning the bar between the shaft and the gear lever.
Loosen the 10mm nuts (rear one is left hand thread normal tightening direction is loosening) and turn the bar to adjust the lever up or down. When you think it is the correct position for you tighten the nuts and take it for a spin.
 This is a trial and error job and may take a few trys to get it right.

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2012, 09:55:00 pm »
Its not the position that's wrong its changing the gears, all of them. Say its in first and I want to put it in second I have to lift the gear linkage up alot

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2012, 12:56:44 am »
Is changing down ok? What mileage is on the bike?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2012, 09:20:48 am »
You sure the teeth aren't worn on the lever or shaft and it's slipping, or the lever's just not tightened up properly?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2012, 11:14:21 am »
If the required movement of the lever is as large as you say, then it could be down to excessive wear at the pivot. I did change my lever a while back for that reason, but mine is a fairly high mileage example.
Alternatively, if the lever only needs a tiny movement from its resting position to change down and a huge one to change up it could be failure of one of the return springs at the other end of the shaft allowing the lever to sag. If so, you'll need to investigate under the clutch cover. If you're lucky you may be able to get the cover off without damage to the gasket, in which case it can be re-used, but it's best to have a new one available before you start.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2012, 12:22:26 pm »
Fazerrider is correct, I misread the initial post as the corrective procedure I explained is more common.
Linkage wear or problem with slelector shaft springs is the most likely cause. Luckly both are accessible with engine in place, particularly if it is changing up is the problem rather than changing down.
Did it happen suddenly? If so then it is most likely something has broken and since all gears are selectable it is most likely a spring on the selector shaft.
There are 2 shift lever springs you will need to check
Check wear in the linkage first remove sprocket cover to see if everthing is all right in there and finally as Fazerrider said remove the clutch cover and check selector shaft at the bottom end of the clutch. You will have to remove the clutch to do a full inspection .

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2012, 07:10:22 pm »
Thanx for all the replies. Ill have to have a proper look in the morning as its raining now. The bike has done 16k. It might not be as excessive as I say but ill measure how much I actually have to move it. I haven't really noticed it changing down as its easier to bend your foot down than lift it up and when shifting up I do it quicker than when shifting down.

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2012, 07:15:59 pm »
One more thing. When the bike is stationary and off should I be able to cycle through all the gears? I only seem to be able to go from first to second. Could a loose chain cause this problem?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2012, 07:48:50 pm »
Short answer, NO. Engine would need to be running.
Sounds like your Gear lever needs to be adjusted down.
Out of curosity how long have you been riding?

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2012, 08:16:27 pm »
around 7 months. ive only had this bike around 4 weeks

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2012, 10:58:50 pm »
I thought alright you were new to biking. What did you have prior to buying the fazer? Good choice of bike as it is a great all rounder. It is most likely the previous owner adjusted the lever to suit his foot. The first thing I do with any bike I buy is adjust the leveres to suit me, no two people are the same on a bike, similar but never the same.
Put the bike on the centre stand then sit on the bike. Now with you in your normal relaxed riding position, check the position of you left foot in relation to the round edge at the end of the gear lever. It should be about a half inch from the bottom of the sole of the your boot. You should have to lift you boot about that height to put it on top of the lever to change down and move it about the same amount to get under the lever to change up. You only require minimum movement to change gear up or down. This is a start point. Go back to my first post and do exactly as it says.

aj1soad

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2012, 07:34:35 pm »
I had a ybr 125 before this. Ive sorted it now. Tightened the chain and small adjustment to the gear lever.  thanx for all the  help.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2012, 09:13:33 pm »
Good to hear you got it sorted.  :)
Ybr is a great  beginner bike. It is used by some of the Motorcycle Trainers near where I live.
A word of advice, the chain  on the fazer looks loose when it is properly adjusted and it is common to overtighten them.
Put the bike on the centre stand locate the slackest part of the chain. Now push it up against the rubbery/plastic swinging arm protector. It should just touch it with a little pressure, if not the chain is to tight.
Enjoy
« Last Edit: 18 November 2012, 09:14:16 pm by unfazed »