Date: 30-04-24  Time: 21:25 pm

Author Topic: GG or HH on the rear?  (Read 2732 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
GG or HH on the rear?
« on: 09 November 2012, 12:04:18 pm »
I need to replace my rear brake pads but before I go buy EBC organic GG pads like I usually do, I  thought I'd ask what everybody else has on the back. I usually opt for GG pads for rear brakes but as the Fazer's back brake is a little weak, has anybody had more success with HH pads? Better still, has anybody had success with a certain brand?

Thanks in advance  :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: GG or HH on the rear?
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2012, 01:21:32 pm »
i use organic pads in the rear. personally i don't want the back brake too sharp

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2012, 01:34:20 pm »
I've been trying Galfer HH on the rear for the last 2 sets, and i really like the way it feels, it's sharp but not too sharp.
Also, there's no real dust problems like the EBC's that i used before.
But i do ride a lot in traffic so the rear brake does get used more than normal.
I've been buying them on Ebay from a firm called Calsport, and i think they're about half the price than if you buy direct off their own website!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galfer-HH-Rear-Brake-Pads-FA104-Yamaha-FZS-600-S-Fazer-/150923689292?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2323c0bd4c
« Last Edit: 09 November 2012, 01:36:34 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2012, 02:28:32 pm »
I've got organic on the front as well and it's great. I'm sure sintered's better for track days but for general use the organic compound does the job and I think it gives a bit more feel under braking

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2012, 05:04:45 pm »
i use organic pads in the rear. personally i don't want the back brake too sharp

When I replaced mine I also opted for organic pads, ended up with some EBC ones. Reason is as above, the smoother breaking of organic pads on the rear is much nicer and avoids accidentally locking it up - for the month or two I had them on the rear brake was a lot better to use than whatever was in there before. The front however I ended up with HH ceramic pads :P

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2012, 05:21:37 pm »
About to order a pair of the HH Galfers and also a pair of GG EBCs. Will see how I go with the Galfers and will switch back to the trusty EBCs if need be. Thanks for all the tips :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
Worth a go at that price!!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2012, 10:56:21 pm »
I use EBC HH all round with a fazer 1000 rear caliper. Did not like the feel of the organic ones I tried and took them out afer 1500 miles. Both my sons did not like the feel of the organic pads either and prefer the feel of the HH all round after trying them.
I put the organic pads in my younger sons bike as they were not as severe braking and he was new to double discs on the bike and he kept complaining that the brakes lacked feel and I changed them to EBC HH all round after 5000miles. He has never complained about the brakes since. My eldest son had his pads replaced on his fazer 1000 by a shop in Hertfordshire when he worked in north London. When he returned home early this year he kept saying that the brakes were not as good as they used to be and asked me to check them, I did and everything was working properly. When I eventually changed the pads in May as they were worn I used EBC HH all round . He took it out for a spin and said they were much better than they were and after a 160 mile round trip to Dublin from Cork he said that it was great to have good feeling from the brakes again.
I suppose it is down to personal preference in the end