Date: 17-05-24  Time: 20:15 pm

Author Topic: Is this normal  (Read 1234 times)

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Is this normal
« on: 10 November 2012, 02:13:16 pm »
While cleaning and lubing my chain I noticed a noise. Wanted to know if it was normal. Also it looked like my chain was jumping a little bit.

They are brand new chain and sprockets about 500mile old.

IMG 1415

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2012, 03:10:09 pm »
Yep, very normal. Because you have no weight load the wheel tries to spin forwards quicker than the chain will allow, resulting in that jumping look/sound.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2012, 03:33:33 pm »
Thank god for that!  :D

I was worried something was wrong and it would cost a bomb to fix

Love you guys  :b

(no homo)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
I can confirm my chain was doing the same when i lubed it up the other day,

Had me worrying a bit after reading another recent post about chains jumping but it was totally fine when i took it out for a spin.

Only trouble i had was trying to get the back wheel off of the ground,its because i jacked it up with new wishbones,i had to centre stand it on a slight downwards slope to get it up enough to spin freely, worth it though.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2012, 04:29:54 pm »
I know it seems easier with the wheel spinning, but the best and more effective way to lube the chain is by moving the wheel by hand when it's on the centre stand. And it should be lubed when the chain is still warm after you've been out riding.

That way it's less prone to being flung off straight away and it gives it a better chance of being able to lube the right places.

Also, it will save you from having to type with one hand and a nose if you manage to get your fingers trapped in the chain when it's rotating!  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2012, 12:58:49 pm »
Also, it will save you from having to type with one hand and a nose if you manage to get your fingers trapped in the chain when it's rotating!  :lol
First time I did mine I was moving it by the chain... got my thumb between the chain + sprocket...  :'( :eek :'(   Can only imagine the sort of damage I'd have done if the engine was driving it.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2012, 02:10:06 pm »
First time I did mine I was moving it by the chain... got my thumb between the chain + sprocket...  :'( :eek :'(   Can only imagine the sort of damage I'd have done if the engine was driving it.

You wouldn't have your thumb today :P

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2012, 02:44:13 pm »
A basic pointer i was shown which seems logical was to spray downwards onto the lowest part of the chain whilst holding a piece of card behind it to save lube going all over the centre stand etc,, that way centrifugal magic forces the lube through to the outside of the chain rather than if you spray downwards on highest part of the chain which then forces the lube away from the chain,

Prob basics to most on here but im honestly not sure if i would have clicked if i hadnt been told.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike