Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:36 pm

Author Topic: Engine Painting?  (Read 7651 times)

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Engine Painting?
« on: 08 October 2012, 04:23:26 am »
Whats the best way to paint the engine to give it a freshing up?
Prefere using spray paint as would give the best finish, but can it be done well without stripping everything?

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Painting?
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2012, 10:18:01 am »
yes m8 - I did this early this year.

Bit of wet & dry sand paper to remove / smooth down the bits you are painting (make sure you thoroughly wash the bike first though.

Mask up EVERYTHING you dont want paint on - this can be fiddly but it doesnt need to look nice; just make sure bits are covered.

Use the spray can to put light layers on - spray goes on smoother than brushing (i know cos me and my mate did the bikes at the same time - he opted for brush

you might be able to makeout the results :

I plan to do it again this winter (completely forgot to do the front part (behind the exhaust headers.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Elise111s

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Lotus Elise 111s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2012, 05:16:45 pm »
Sorry to jump into this thread, but what paint did you use?

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2012, 07:19:01 pm »
I used BnQ black BBQ paint and worked great! 1 year later in all weathers and its still there :)

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2012, 07:30:18 pm »
I used BnQ black BBQ paint and worked great! 1 year later in all weathers and its still there :)

Looks a great job you done. Is the high temp paint/ BBQ paint much different in glossyness compared to normal black, cos im wanting to do the clutch casing etc as well, which is oviously alot smoother and noticeable.
Or would i use a different paint for that part as i recon it wouldnt get hot enough to no take normal black gloss?

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
I used PJ1 engine satin black on the fins/head and PJ1 engine gloss black on the cases.

I also sanded back the ends of the fins to have the orginal silver which I prefere the look.of.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2012, 10:16:23 pm »
I used PJ1 engine satin black on the fins/head and PJ1 engine gloss black on the cases.

I also sanded back the ends of the fins to have the orginal silver which I prefere the look.of.

I used the PJ1 too - i liked the look of the all black fins - but its simple enough to change.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2012, 07:35:30 pm »
the bbq high temp stuff is very matt so wouldn't use on covers etc

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2012, 04:02:28 am »
The PJ1 paint is very hard to get now & exspensive, any other recommendations on gloss black brands?

Also, does painting this time of year in these cold temperatures affect the paint and finish?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2012, 06:31:51 am »
Try to avoid spraying in very cold damp or windy conditions. Wind carries dust which spoils finish. Cold & moisture affects drying time & may not give required finish. Preparation is 90% of the job. Aim to get a clean smooth dry surface free of oil/grease etc. If poss spray in well ventilated warm clean conditions using several light coats. Practice on a piece of  scrap until satisfied with your spray technique :sun

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2012, 08:17:09 am »
Try to avoid spraying in very cold damp or windy conditions. Wind carries dust which spoils finish. Cold & moisture affects drying time & may not give required finish. Preparation is 90% of the job. Aim to get a clean smooth dry surface free of oil/grease etc. If poss spray in well ventilated warm clean conditions using several light coats. Practice on a piece of  scrap until satisfied with your spray technique :sun

:thumbup Cheers, was mostly wonderin if the cold gave a different finish or not.

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2012, 05:34:02 am »
Got a tin of Hycote gloss black engine enamel, its rated up to 140C .
Will this be high enough to spray the cylinders casing?, guy in the shop said it deffinetly would and that you only need VHT paint to do exhausts.