Date: 27-04-24  Time: 12:27 pm

Author Topic: MOT Fail, not sure....  (Read 4076 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
MOT Fail, not sure....
« on: 01 May 2017, 02:32:31 pm »
Hi All,

My FZS600, i am getting it on the road again, the FZS1000 is giving me issue and needs engine work.

I took it for an MOT and it failed, to my shock, the reason being when the indicators are on the headlight dims, so in time with the flashing of the indicators you can see it get a little less bright...

I am a little miffed, i mean, its not obvious and you really have to be looking to see it, but i am not sure what to check.

Any one dealt with issues like that?

Will be checking my FZS1000 lights to see if that does the same.

Anutz

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: MOT Fail, not sure....
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
Check the earth points on the indicators and headlamp, and all their connectors, a small voltage drop could cause your problem.

HydrocarbonPrimate

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Diversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2017, 04:19:57 pm »
has it got led indicators or dipped beam / sidelight?

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2017, 06:44:43 pm »
dipped beam side light i.e. stock

The bulb thats glowing as the indicator flashes is the one, if sat on the bike, the right hand side Light cluster, contains the High Beam, which is fine, and another one that is always on, thats the one that glows

Got the tank off and access to the connectors, so will check all connections, and the connections on the light itself....

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2017, 08:37:30 pm »
its a bad earth on the indicator wiring. instead of going tp earth its finding its way via the high beam circuit. not a major issue. just unplug and replug every light circuit and the fault will almost certainly go away.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2017, 09:18:11 pm »
unplugged all indicators and it stopped, so its one of them, will re-connect tomorrow and see which one...unless it cures it

thanks for the advice, spot on!

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2017, 09:49:46 am »
Failing that run a wire from the indicator earth back to the battery -ve or to a suitable ground point on the frame. I've done that before to cure these sorts of problems.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2017, 09:53:36 am »
will plug them all back in shortly and see if just that has cured it, else look what to do next...

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2017, 04:58:41 pm »
OK so no luck so far....steps taken...

1. Checked with a Multimeter the continuity and resistance of all the return leads for the Indicators and the lights, all show as ok i.e. 0.6-1 Ohms....and all have continuity...
2. Unplugged and re-plugged all connectors in...

To re-describe the issue, if i turn on an indicator, regardless of which one, then the lights in the headlight unit glow with the same frequency as the indicator strobing.

Its not just the parking light but all the lights i.e. dipped beam as well....

Little stumped...any more tests or things to consider

Have also plugged and re-plugged the flasher relay and also the headlight loom under the tank...

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2017, 05:57:02 pm »
make sure the battery earth is good and I would check connections around the flasher relay, it is an earthing problem so as said earlier run another earth back to battery even temporarily and use it to augment the earths next to all the components.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2017, 10:07:40 pm »
So, reviving this old topic.

Fixed my brake issue on the fzs 600, but stuck with this so called problem.

I say that as i am not convinced there is actually an issue.

Can somone please tell me if there bike does this.

1. Power on
2. Turn on an indicator, and does the parking bulb small one at front right of light cluster that goes through bottom of cowling, in time with the indicator so the tinest dimming....
3. When pressing front or rear break does the buld in the front do the same..

I have checked ALL connections, all are fine, i ran a new ground, no difference at all...

I just used a AVO to check a few things - voltage drops on the battery...

When i turn the indicator on its consistently flickering 10th of a volt, so i am not surprised that the bulb up front shows some change in brightness.....or is this the issue, to me there is none, you can hardly tell...

what do i do here, i don;t think its an issue but MOT does, if anyone can comment on the above tests would be keen to know if anyone else has a dodgy or normal lighting setup

Anutz

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2017, 04:15:24 am »
Any interaction of other lights when the flashers are on is an MOT failure. No matter how small.
I assume you cleaned all the connectors while you were unplugging them. If not you can use ACF50 (it's pricey but good) to clean the contacts,
The fault does point to a bad earth. You need to check earth point from the battery, rectifier, headlamp and rear lamp. Make sure the earth lead from the battery is very clean and very tight.
Is your battery in good condition? A slightly low charged battery can also cause problems.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2017, 08:58:51 am »
will go have another few hours digging around.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2017, 09:52:15 am »
When you say "Power On" is the engine running?
If it's not and you're just taking power straight from the battery then the more lights or gadgets you switch on will take its toll.

As mentioned though, if the battery is either low or simply old with a possible dodgy cell or two then that will make a difference as well and cause it to struggle a bit.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2017, 05:44:24 pm »
Check the earth points on the indicators and headlamp, and all their connectors, a small voltage drop could cause your problem.

:agree
Sounds like either an earth problem or possibly a alternator not quite keeping up, thinking about it it might be worth having the battery tested, cos, if that down on a cell or two that could causing dimming if extra load is added, see if it happen when pulling the brake lever.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2017, 07:38:59 pm »
You can check the mot testers manual online, it gives test methods and reasons for rejections for the bike. Its a handy tool if you think the tester is being to strict.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2017, 11:15:49 pm »
You can check the mot testers manual online, it gives test methods and reasons for rejections for the bike. Its a handy tool if you think the tester is being to strict.
Rob Roy is right you can check up and see if the tester is being fair, if he is not you could complain to then showing your evidence and reasons, but I would never go there again, cos they are not going to do you any favours from that point forward. :eek

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2017, 01:01:00 pm »
Rob Roy is right you can check up and see if the tester is being fair, if he is not you could complain to then showing your evidence and reasons, but I would never go there again, cos they are not going to do you any favours from that point forward. :eek

You can do all these things but as far back as I can remember it has always been a failure if there is any interaction. You could always pop your bike to another MOT tester and ask him what he thinks and whether he would pass/fail it before going down the complaining route which will win you no friends at all.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2017, 05:10:18 pm »
I had this problem and as far as i remember i
t was a  burned 12v wire coming off the ignition where it splices into the main loom.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2017, 06:28:15 pm »
how did u find urs?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 October 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
On mine it was if you follow the ignition wire into the junction box under the tank. Then follow it out and where it goes into the loom there was a crimped splice. On mine that was burned.