Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:09 pm

Author Topic: Funny problem starting and cutting out  (Read 5385 times)

pintlicker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Funny problem starting and cutting out
« on: 30 January 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
Hi, I wonder if any of you have any ideas on what may be causing this? 

I've been running my 99 FZS600 throughout the winter with no issues but in the last week I've noticed that there has been a funny problem starting.  Intermittently it decides that it won't fire when I first press the starter button, it usually does on the second or third try with no problems.  That issue hadn't really been bothering me too much as it always started, but I popped out on it at lunchtime and on the way back the engine just died.  I pulled over to the side and it started again on the second or third push of the starter. 

I'm off tomorrow but ideally id like to work out what might be causing this over the weekend.  The problem is that it doesn't happen consistently, most of the time it will fire first time and its never cut out on me before today.

My primary suspect is the spark plugs, I had them out last year for a clean when I was servicing the bike but it may have been a few years since I've replaced them but I'm not sure that would have caused the bike to cut out.  Other than that would I be looking at fuel pump, coil,[/size] [/size]cut off switch and ignition switch as the next likely suspects?Anything else I'm missing?thanks
Stuart[/font]

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Funny problem starting and cutting out
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2014, 03:44:56 pm »

I've been running my 99 FZS600 throughout the winter with no issues but in the last week I've noticed that there has been a funny problem starting.  Intermittently it decides that it won't fire when I first press the starter button, it usually does on the second or third try with no problems.  That issue hadn't really been bothering me too much as it always started, but I popped out on it at lunchtime and on the way back the engine just died.  I pulled over to the side and it started again on the second or third push of the starter. 

I'm off tomorrow but ideally id like to work out what might be causing this over the weekend.  The problem is that it doesn't happen consistently, most of the time it will fire first time and its never cut out on me before today.

My primary suspect is the spark plugs, I had them out last year for a clean when I was servicing the bike but it may have been a few years since I've replaced them but I'm not sure that would have caused the bike to cut out.  Other than that would I be looking at fuel pump, coil,cut off switch and ignition switch as the next likely suspects?Anything else I'm missing?thanksStuart

Cleaning up all the connectors and changing the sparkies won't hurt.

Is your battery healthy (for the starting)? When were the carbs last cleaned?

Oh, and welcome!  :)
The Deef's apprentice

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2014, 03:47:54 pm »
If it's just cutting out like you hit the killswich I'd start by looking at electrical connections, ignition barrel etc.  I'd have thought if it was fuel it'd gradually die rather than just stop.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2014, 04:04:31 pm »
Dont know about the just cutting out issu but a while back I had starting issues so took out the sparks checked gap - cleaned and put back and still the same I then changed them for new and all was good again. Bike had done 15k on them
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

pintlicker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2014, 04:13:03 pm »
Thanks for that.  The battery has been fine it turns the starter motor quickly.  I'll check with a multimeter tonight but it was replaced at the beginning of last year I think.  It strikes me more as an electrical issue as well as it just died, if it was fuel starvation I would have expected it to splutter to a halt.

Carbs haven't been cleaned in a while, possibly a few years.  Would this cause this type of issue though?

Last month I stripped down the r/h handlebar controls and cleaned up the starter button contacts as I had to wiggle the starter button a bit to fire the starter.  It is possible I might have hit something else there as well.  The ignition barrel is a bit worn anyway, or it might just be the key, I usually need to give it a wiggle to get it to turn.  The green ignition light on the dash never went out when it stopped though, could that still be an issue?

I did fit a pair of R&G heated grips a couple of months ago, and wired to the fuse box.  Could that potentially cause any problems?

I've ordered some plugs to try that as well, the bikes done around 15k on mine as well I think.

I've got an arse puckering 20 mile ride home on the M8 to get through first though!  Not looking forward to it.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2014, 04:19:58 pm »
Carbs haven't been cleaned in a while, possibly a few years.  Would this cause this type of issue though?

I doubt it, but can't hurt. In the OP, you weren't specific as to HOW it died.

Last month I stripped down the r/h handlebar controls and cleaned up the starter button contacts as I had to wiggle the starter button a bit to fire the starter.  It is possible I might have hit something else there as well.  The ignition barrel is a bit worn anyway, or it might just be the key, I usually need to give it a wiggle to get it to turn.  The green ignition light on the dash never went out when it stopped though, could that still be an issue?

The green ingition light - do you mean the neutral light? If that's the case, you have a bike with a loom that's been buggered about!

I did fit a pair of R&G heated grips a couple of months ago, and wired to the fuse box.  Could that potentially cause any problems?

Has it blown any fuses?

I've got an arse puckering 20 mile ride home on the M8 to get through first though!  Not looking forward to it.

Stay in the inside lane, and be prepared to dive for the hard shoulder if it dies on you. And good luck!
The Deef's apprentice

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2014, 04:45:56 pm »
Last month I stripped down the r/h handlebar controls and cleaned up the starter button contacts as I had to wiggle the starter button a bit to fire the starter.
Why didnt you say that in the first place, that is where I would look for the cutting out

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2014, 04:52:33 pm »
Last month I stripped down the r/h handlebar controls and cleaned up the starter button contacts as I had to wiggle the starter button a bit to fire the starter.
Why didnt you say that in the first place, that is where I would look for the cutting out

I can't see the starter button being dodgy affecting the running once the engine is already running...  :pokefun
The Deef's apprentice

pintlicker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
I was thinking more of the cutoff switch on the controls, just incase I've done something to the wiring when I've been around the ignition switch. 
I just checked and I'm talking pish about the light.  I must have put it into neutral after it died before I fired it up again.   :rolleyes

The grips are still working so the fuse must be ok on them. 

I'm probably going to stay off the motorway tonight I think, just take my time though the towns and back roads on the way back.  A couple of dodgy places where there's no hard shoulder that I really don't fancy being stuck on. 

The plugs should hopefully be there sat, but the plan of attack tonight is to whip out, check and clean the ones that are in it at the moment.  Then I'll get busy with the multimeter and see if I can find any dodgy connections in the ignition or cutoff switch wires. 

Are there any good guides about for cleaning the carbs around?  Its been a while since I've got down and dirty with them.

thanks for your help

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2014, 05:17:27 pm »
I was thinking more of the cutoff switch on the controls, just incase I've done something to the wiring when I've been around the ignition switch. 
That is what I ment in my post so not the starter switch per-say but somthing has beed disturbed as there is a kill switch over there
« Last Edit: 30 January 2014, 05:18:51 pm by fazersharp »

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2014, 05:40:10 pm »
That is what I ment in my post so not the starter switch per-say but somthing has beed disturbed as there is a kill switch over there

Ah, gotcha now, sorry!
The Deef's apprentice

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2014, 05:41:36 pm »
I had similar issues, quickly discovered a loose battery terminal.
Start with the simplest things first.
Good luck

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
Good luck
Im stupid -- but do you need the battery once its running

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2014, 06:06:48 pm »
Good luck

Yes the battery supplies the coils that produce the spark! The generator only supplies the regulator that charges the battery.
Try it?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2014, 06:48:09 pm »
I told you I was stupid

I would check your battery connections

pintlicker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2014, 08:00:09 pm »
Think I've worked it out, got the bike home and started fiddling with controls and wiring.  Found out it would stop whenever I fiddled with the ignition switch so I'm pretty sure thats the culprit. 

Are the replacement ones from wemoto and MandP good quality or is it worth going for a yamaha replacement?

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2014, 08:49:34 am »
Think I've worked it out, got the bike home and started fiddling with controls and wiring.  Found out it would stop whenever I fiddled with the ignition switch so I'm pretty sure thats the culprit. 

Are the replacement ones from wemoto and MandP good quality or is it worth going for a yamaha replacement?

Up until this post, I was convinced it would turn out to be your kickstand switch...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2014, 08:53:24 am »

When you say 'ignition switch' that normally means where you put the key into, is that correct or do you mean the controls on the handlebars?

http://www.fazerspares.com/items/127-1_825-switch-gear-right-hand.htm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=starter+control+fzs+600&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xswitch+gear+fzs+600&_nkw=switch+gear+fzs+600&_sacat=0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

pintlicker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2014, 04:16:20 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  When I pretty much even touched the key, or knocked the ignition barrel the bike cut out every time i tried it so I'm going to start with that.  When the bike cut out I was going through a road that was getting resurfaced so there was a few bumps around so that makes sense.  I tested the R/H switchgear thoroughly with a multimeter and it was all working as it should and there didn't seem to be any dodgy connections. 

I ended up just getting one from m and p on ebay, fingers crossed it'll be in on monday/tuesday hopefully.  It'll be fun getting the bugger out though, looks a bit tricky with the anti tamper bolts.

The rest of the bike needs a bit of a tidy up, its been doing a fair amount of miles recently with the mildish weather.  I'll give it a service in the next couple of weeks, the inlet rubbers also need replacing and I might as well do the carbs while i'm in and around that area as well.

Thanks for your help

Stu

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2014, 11:07:48 pm »
Good luck

Yes the battery supplies the coils that produce the spark! The generator only supplies the regulator that charges the battery.
Try it?
and the battery is connected to the electrics. If you think about it you will realise you are wrong

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2014, 11:09:19 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  When I pretty much even touched the key, or knocked the ignition barrel the bike cut out every time i tried it so I'm going to start with that.  When the bike cut out I was going through a road that was getting resurfaced so there was a few bumps around so that makes sense.  I tested the R/H switchgear thoroughly with a multimeter and it was all working as it should and there didn't seem to be any dodgy connections. 

I ended up just getting one from m and p on ebay, fingers crossed it'll be in on monday/tuesday hopefully.  It'll be fun getting the bugger out though, looks a bit tricky with the anti tamper bolts.

The rest of the bike needs a bit of a tidy up, its been doing a fair amount of miles recently with the mildish weather.  I'll give it a service in the next couple of weeks, the inlet rubbers also need replacing and I might as well do the carbs while i'm in and around that area as well.

Thanks for your help

Stu

Fixed, I take it?  :)
The Deef's apprentice

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2014, 11:09:55 pm »
Check the multiplugs in the box under the tank, from the switches and the ignition switch ones. Mine had one corroded terminal feeding the ignition switch and was randomly cutting out

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 April 2018, 08:24:09 am »

My primary suspect is the spark plugs, I had them out last year for a clean when I was servicing the bike but it may have been a few years since I've replaced them but I'm not sure that would have caused the bike to cut out.  Other than that would I be looking at fuel pump, coil,cut off switch and ignition switch as the next likely suspects?Anything else I'm missing?thanksStuart

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
  • LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 April 2018, 09:06:00 am »
Hey Just throwing some wood on the fire here.
could it be the switch of the side stand fault. I heard someone had some issue with theirs and the bike was cutting out.
Just an idea!
good luck.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 April 2018, 06:38:23 am »

Not sure which part of this you wrote, but my bike had trouble starting a couple of days ago, then when it did i could instantly hear that it didn't sound right at all. I let it warm up for a bit then took it down to the end of my road but immediately came back and had to leave it at home as i had no time to persevere with it then.
It was suggested to me to change the plug caps, so i ordered the NGK ones again which are dirt cheap and delivered the next day, and i snipped a tiny amount off the ends of the HT leads again just to make sure they had a good connection to the plugs, plus i also drained the carbs as well.
Still no change.
So while it was lumpily ticking over i splashed water on the downpipes and noticed pipe #4 was not hot, to the point i could easily touch it with water on my gloves, whereas the other 3 pipes were boiling the water off immediately.

Turns out, after changing spark plug #4, it was a faulty plug.
Thing is, they were brand new NGK plugs bought off a car parts shop on Amazon 2 months ago.

Just something to note, my mechanic warned me a while back that plugs don't seem to have the same build quality that they used to, but even i was surprised at how quick this one pegged out!

Got me wondering about alternative plugs and stumbled on this site. Worth a look.

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.