Date: 17-05-24  Time: 17:22 pm

Author Topic: Clutch replacement question  (Read 1600 times)

spencer_foxwell

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
Clutch replacement question
« on: 12 December 2013, 07:27:10 pm »
Evening all, I'm going to be replacing the clutch on my 400 using this kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZ-400-4YR1-96-EBC-CK2371-Clutch-Kit-/150696962004?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item23163d27d4

It doesn't have any steel plates inside the box, just the friction plates. Is it fine to just reuse the old steel plates and anti judder spring?

Is the gasket reusable? Or do I need to go and get one?

Also any tips for doing this little job? I've seen this video and it seems fairly strait forward...
www.youtube.com/embed/iQejoxdatGM

Many thanks!! :D
« Last Edit: 12 December 2013, 07:31:56 pm by spencer_foxwell »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch replacement question
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2013, 07:59:08 pm »
yes to both questions ;) and a good tip is make sure you take note of the exact order that the plates come out. if you get it wrong the clutch won't work. also make sure the plates are in fully before you tighten the bolts or you'll snap a bolt or break the pressure plate.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2013, 08:18:27 pm »
I believe it's a good idea to soak the clutch plates in engine oil before assembly.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

spencer_foxwell

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2013, 08:28:28 pm »
I guess I need to pop to Yamaha and get a gasket then, bugger. I dunno why but I assumed they were rubber reusable seals or something. At least I can use the steel plates again :D

Thanks guys :)

Oh and thanks for the tips!
« Last Edit: 12 December 2013, 08:30:04 pm by spencer_foxwell »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2013, 10:17:19 pm »
Make sure the pressure plats fit on correctly before tightening the bolts. It will only seat properly in a few different positions. If it is wrong pull it out and rotate it until it is right. You will know as it with sit in cleanly on the last friction plate installed.
A lot of fellows have got it wrong including a few on here and ended up breaking the pressure plate trying to tighten the bolts on it.
The bolts only require 6Nm torque and are easily over tightened and strip the threads in the clutch boss. Best to use a torque wrench.
Reusing the old steel plates is fine, and yes, soak them in engine oil for an hour or so first and wipe off the excess before fitting. I used the same EBC kit and it is working well

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2013, 10:50:11 am »
I am one of those guys that fitted the pressure plate wrong and broke it  :o . Then I came on here to ask the guys. I have now sorted it and it works perfect. I have extra clutch parts for sale if you need anything. It is 8nm for the bolts that hold the pressure plate on, not 6 as stated. If you rotate the plate until you have it seated flush, you will feel it kind of slot into position. If it is not doing that, it is not right. Also, the friction plate with the LARGER internal diameter goes directly AFTER the anti-judder spring. I made an arse of this too, but Mick and a few others put me right. Also, remember to undo the adjustment screw on the other side, and take up the slack at the lever. Then you can go about setting up the biting point to your liking.

Best of luck
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

spencer_foxwell

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2013, 10:57:35 am »
Thanks mate the replacement went without a hitch and works great now. I also fitted some stronger springs and there is no hint of slippage even if I just slam it through the gears :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2013, 12:16:04 pm »
For furyre info ,
Bolts on the 600 are 8mm and there are 6 of them but the bolts on the 400 are 6mm and there are only 5 of them