Date: 28-04-24  Time: 09:52 am

Author Topic: Weedy horn  (Read 11673 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Weedy horn
« on: 25 September 2012, 06:37:23 pm »
Hello fellow Focc'ers, have seen in the past some threads about a decent replacement horn. Mine is a little short of pathetic and have had several instances where I have really wanted to give someone a good warning blast  but have only been left feeling totally inadequete and slightly embarrassed. So, can anyone point me in the right direction and restore my ability to get noticed  when it matters. Cheers. :)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
Re: Weedy horn
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2012, 07:18:22 pm »
I have heard the Stebel Nautilus ( I think thats what its called) is a very loud air type horn that is a direct replacement. (as far as I remember). Hope that helps.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2012, 07:55:43 pm »
I have the Stebel Nautilus. Where have others fitted it?

Couldn't find a hidden place at the front of my fzs600

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2012, 08:45:11 pm »
If like me you want a standard looking horn the acumen ones are good. I got one from these people on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acumen-Motorcycle-12V-Extra-Loud-Replacement-Horn-/261103345031?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ccaf8dd87

They are stamped 105db but rumor is they are about 115db. also comes in a nice tin :D
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2012, 08:54:18 pm »
Nice one Fuzzbom, that's exactly what I'm after.  :thumbup Thanks for other replies too.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2012, 09:33:17 pm by dazza »

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2012, 09:36:29 pm »
hey dazza i can vouch for them acumen horns!!...my gen 1,s got them. mounted each side of rad..loud as fk!! ;)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2012, 09:40:19 pm »
What :eek  You have two. Now that's an idea. :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2012, 09:45:26 pm »
yea!...picked up this 51plt gen 1 few wks bk(stolen recovered)....needs quite a few bits?..but noticed the horns look like theyd recently bin fitted!...and fk me if nobody hears them they must be ...dead!! :rolleyes

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2012, 10:07:32 pm »
I've just ordered one. now to sell my stebel on ebay! the acumen says to comply with the EC regulation, the horn is stamped 105dB, but reckon it's 134 next to the horn!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2012, 11:34:03 pm »
Stupidly when i tested mine for the first time i was in my closed garage.. ears were ringing.
if you mount 2 you may need a relay due to the current draw. would be interesting to see what one takes to power.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2012, 11:39:47 pm »
I've just purchased the acumen too. I have a db meter and will also check the current it draws when it arrives
If it's as good as it sounds 2 might be over kill, but until I get 1 fitted and tested  I'm not ruling 2 out as an option

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2012, 10:07:01 am »
Just seen this & placed order! Can just about hear standard horn with helmet on using ear plugs so doubt if " Mr Cage" would hear it over the noise of his sound system-not that I go around blasting the horn @ everything but its nice to know that if i have to use it theres a good chance it will be heard! :lol

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2012, 11:06:10 am »
Stuck one of them on my watch list for purchase later too.

Budgie

sent from somewhere beyond the rim.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2012, 11:51:14 am »
If like me you want a standard looking horn the acumen ones are good. I got one from these people on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acumen-Motorcycle-12V-Extra-Loud-Replacement-Horn-/261103345031?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ccaf8dd87

They are stamped 105db but rumor is they are about 115db. also comes in a nice tin :D

That looks excellent, had a car horn on Gen 1, may try the one I found in the garage on the Gen 2 if there is room, otherwise I will go for this 8)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2012, 02:43:18 pm »
I got a Stebel Nautilus copy from ebay for about £14.

Followed these instructions [size=78%]http://yamahafz1oa.com/airhorninstallation.shtml[/size][size=78%] [/size]

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2012, 05:03:57 pm »

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2012, 06:10:23 pm »
I was looking at a Stebel Nautilus but i read they die when they get wet. also seems a ball ache to fit that.. still glad i got the Acumen.I am happy to make quick vid so you peeps can hear the tone and how loud it is.
Lord,
Amen

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2012, 06:56:02 pm »
I have got to stop coming on this forum,I had never thought about a different horn and now I want a better one!
I have just been on ebay looking at them and now I think I really do need one,even though the only time I use my horn is when I test it before the mot.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2012, 07:40:10 pm »
I just found a review on mcn that pretty much slates it for anything bigger than a 125 and people saying the poem was better .
Too late for me cos it's already ordered. I have a sound meter so will check what the original puts out before  swapping and post results.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2012, 07:48:42 pm »
I just found a review on mcn that pretty much slates it for anything bigger than a 125 and people saying the poem was better .
Too late for me cos it's already ordered. I have a sound meter so will check what the original puts out before  swapping and post results.
...hey clayt, dont think you,l have any probs with them?....they on my thou and are deafening?...albeit i got 2 of them!! ;)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2012, 08:14:11 pm »
Sound waves are a funny thing though. the frequency can have as much affect as the amplitude of a sound.
When i tested my new acumen in the garage my girlfriend said she could hear it in the house much louder than the original.

For example big fog horns have a bassy tone because it carries further than a high pitch tone.

heres a thought Clayt do some distance comparisons if you can and possibly sit say in a car with the DB meter before and after?
Lets get all mythbusters about it lol
Lord,
Amen

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2012, 09:45:05 pm »
The stebel having problems after getting wet is possibly to do with people aiming the horns in the air.

Like a dog who has one of those plastic cones after an op!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2012, 10:10:53 pm »
i used one of the stebel compact airhorns for a while. was a fair bit of trouble to fit as had to break it apart and fit the compresor under the tank with a relay and the horn section under a side infill with extra tube to conect it up.

Sounded awsome and loved it for a while. but it only lasted a year then had to replace the compressor then had problems with the other bits going brittle and breaking.
so dumped that and got a random horn from the local dealer and its a lot better than std but not as good as the steble (which was one of the best sounding horns i have ever had)

next time i will just throw on a car horn on the OE bracket or go OTT and throw on a set of dixie air horns :P

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 September 2012, 11:11:22 pm »
Sound waves are a funny thing though. the frequency can have as much affect as the amplitude of a sound.
When i tested my new acumen in the garage my girlfriend said she could hear it in the house much louder than the original.

For example big fog horns have a bassy tone because it carries further than a high pitch tone.

heres a thought Clayt do some distance comparisons if you can and possibly sit say in a car with the DB meter before and after?
Lets get all mythbusters about it lol
I will happily go all mythbusters on it as long as I don't have to blow it up after.
I'm sure I can get the missus to help with some in car measurements  :'(
If not I have a scope that will capture the waveform and I can then calculate the attenuation through steel  and glass
Will also check current to see if a relay is needed , gut feeling says no tho.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 September 2012, 09:07:46 am »

Purchaed one of these to replace my OEM horn which varied in volume according to whim, nothing like venting your anger on an idiotic car driver through the means of an electronic wasp fart. I wouldn't say the replacement horn is noticeably louder than the original but would suggest it's pitch is slightly higher. I'm not displeased as it's obviously a cheap item designed to replace OEM horns and as such it fits the bill assuming it has a reasonable lifespan. For those seeking something significantly more disturbing for errant road users than the OEM horn I would suggest that this is not what you are looking for.