Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:40 pm

Author Topic: Home CCTV  (Read 8985 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Home CCTV
« on: 24 September 2012, 11:15:50 am »
Anyone got any pointers for a complete newbie to home CCTV?

I want to protect the new garage with a camera at each corner and I'm thinking I'll probably use about 3 more to cover the side and front of the house.

Don't really have a clue where to start except to say they will have to be wireless as I can't start running cables aroudn the house now it's decorated.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Home CCTV
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2012, 11:21:39 am »
You can buy a complete setup from Maplins.

AIUI provided the cameras only cover your own property and don't look into neighbour's gardens or onto public ground you don't need to put up warning signs either.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2012, 11:46:02 am »
I am also currently tasked with obtaining quotes for wireless CCTV for our club.
So................. if there are any Foccers in the business, let me know.

Need 4 or 5 cameras to cover about 50 x 50 m ???
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2012, 11:51:35 am »
Just found this site, not sure if it is wireless or wired at this point though: http://www.ielectronic.co.uk/cctv/diy-cctv-systems.html

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2012, 12:39:56 pm »
i have 3 wireless colour cameras had nearly 4yrs now ,no probs excellent picture and sound etc bought off ebay from king kong!!....cost me £25 each with free pnp....

Nick Hood

• Official FOC-U Security Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2012, 12:53:38 pm »
As an expert in the cctv business, I have found wireless cctv hopeless. Most of it works on the same frequency as home routers and it interferes with the picture quality. The cheap ones you buy havent got much of a picture quality either. You maybe would see something but would not be able to identify it. The Police are not interested in it either. For a decent wireless transmitter/reciever expect to pay around £300 and thats without the camera. These units allowyou to change the freqency if you have local problems. You will need to have a local power supply to power the cameras. There is a way of sending 4 separate camera signals down one cat 5 cable. This is probably the best way to do it. My favourite saying is "BUY CHEAP PAY TWICE" wireless cameras are rubish.
Buy a dummy camera, put up a sign and fit a decent alarms system, peferably a wireless one.

Nick    www.oakparksec.com
Buy cheap pay twice

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
As an expert in the cctv business, I have found wireless cctv hopeless. Most of it works on the same frequency as home routers and it interferes with the picture quality. The cheap ones you buy havent got much of a picture quality either. You maybe would see something but would not be able to identify it. The Police are not interested in it either. For a decent wireless transmitter/reciever expect to pay around £300 and thats without the camera. These units allowyou to change the freqency if you have local problems. You will need to have a local power supply to power the cameras. There is a way of sending 4 separate camera signals down one cat 5 cable. This is probably the best way to do it. My favourite saying is "BUY CHEAP PAY TWICE" wireless cameras are rubish.
Buy a dummy camera, put up a sign and fit a decent alarms system, peferably a wireless one.

Nick    www.oakparksec.com
...cant agree with you there ,,mr expert cus mine albeit only cheap!!..have worked perfectly in the 4yrs i have had them with no problems whatsoever, day or night in ..ALL..weathers :b

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2012, 01:10:42 pm »
I'd have to disagree as well. IP based cameras are cheap and picture quality is not affected by signal strength or interference.

Nick Hood

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2012, 04:43:50 pm »
No wonder all the original guys on this site dont come here any more, guess ill get my coat as well
Buy cheap pay twice

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2012, 04:47:10 pm »
Aren't people aloud to express an opinion on there own experiences?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Nick Hood

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2012, 09:52:42 pm »
The Mr Expert bit was out of order. I have been installing CCTV for 30 years and I do know my way around it. Some peoples perception of a good picture is not always the same as others. When you do it professionally and you want to get paid its important. I have seen this cheap end market stuff in shops like B&Q and it is rubbish. Maybe you have been lucky with the 2.5 ghz stuff in your area, but believe me it is an issue, Even the posh stuff has problems.I was just trying to give some good advice, thats all. IP cameras by the way need some sort of power and cabling to the router and I wasnt critizing them. The cheap kits do not give you a nice base for retrieving the images.I

I guess this site is now for the new folks that are riding old 600 fazers with attitude problems
Buy cheap pay twice

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2012, 09:56:52 pm »
My fazer doesn't have an attitude problem.....

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2012, 10:07:16 pm »
i think your the one with attitude problems pal....you also come across as a snob as well?...keep it up fella you will be real popular on here!!!!....and if you dont like it on here?..then do as you suggested earlier and put on yer coat!!!!!!!!!!!!!......oh and dont give your day job up??....what did you do again?
« Last Edit: 24 September 2012, 10:11:11 pm by CRH »

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2012, 10:09:04 pm »
children, children.... :rolleyes

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2012, 10:16:57 pm »
 :\ there is a vast difference between a professionals advice that is best for the job, and what someone is prepared to install  or spend on a homer!
It's horses for courses. To install a deterrent and something that could help u identify  your local rif  raf  then wireless is fine and cheap.
If you are looking to get a conviction through a court then only top notch will do.
Personally I go for alarms, cos if I hear it and they don't run.......... then I get my own justice!!
No need to slate someone for giving professional point of view?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
try reading bk clayt?...this is all because i...disagreed with his opening opinion!...then to slag me bike off ?...yes he is a fkn snob, with attiude problems!!!!!
« Last Edit: 24 September 2012, 10:35:20 pm by CRH »

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2012, 10:42:33 pm »
CRH, I have read it back - your reply at 13:06 comes across very dismissive, just because you disagree. As Nick pointed out your "Mr Expert" was uncalled for. As was editing your post at 22:07, to add a "smart-alec" comment about "what do you do again", when I'm quite certain you damn well that he's in the security business.

You're the one with the attitude problem - and he didn't slag your bike off, all he said was that it old. Given that its around 10 years old, and possibly 14, he's not wrong.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2012, 10:44:29 pm »
i don't understand the new people old site thing he keeps going on about, surely having more members is good. And he keeps going on about it.
I agree go and set up your own site if it bothers you that much.
Besides your post count is only in the 20's hardly an old boy are you!!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2012, 10:47:07 pm »

Besides your post count is only in the 20's hardly an old boy are you!!!

Well now there's a basic mistake. Just because he hasn't had his post count transferred from the old site, doesn't mean he's new!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
No wonder all the original guys on this site dont come here any more, guess ill get my coat as well

I do agree though, that this was a bit of an over-reaction - but there's still no need for the vitriol that has come from some quarters.

New members wont come along at all, if this is the way they get treated, and old/new members alike will see the site die.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 September 2012, 10:54:34 pm »

I do agree though, that this was a bit of an over-reaction - but there's still no need for the vitriol that has come from some quarters.

New members wont come along at all, if this is the way they get treated, and old/new members alike will see the site die.

Exactly, that is a perfect way to put it, nice one rich

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 September 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
try reading bk clayt?...this is all because i...disagreed with his opening opinion!...then to slag me bike off ?...yes he is a fkn snob, with attiude problems!!!!!
CRH peace  dude! I ride a 2002, old in any language? To me it's my baby and ive only had her less than 2 years , and to me she is fresh as a daisy! Surely a loose pretty much true  comment can't be taken as a personal quip ?

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 September 2012, 01:23:30 am »
Ah, I mind the good old days when nick himself used to drive the old guard off. Fun times.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 September 2012, 06:35:10 am »
Well, thats below the belt,he slagged off your bike  :lol
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 September 2012, 10:24:54 am »
Noticed an external colour cctv camera kit for sale in Aldi this week. I think it's just the camera and some wiring for it (not wireless) but all you need to connect to a recording device or viewing monitor is there. I take the point of the chap above regarding possible low end quality compared to an expensive set up, but perhaps this is an option for those more concerned with a low end outlay. In fact I might buy one myself and report back once installed. :)