Date: 26-04-24  Time: 19:49 pm

Author Topic: scottoiler advice.  (Read 1899 times)

para300

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
scottoiler advice.
« on: 02 May 2012, 11:21:12 pm »
Hi there, [/size]I've recently picked up my first big bike in the form of a Fazer600 fitted with a scottoiler. The device seems to be doing a pretty good job to date and i  have noticed that the oil will need replenishing shortly. As a result I purchased a new bottle of standard scottoiler oil. It arrived today and just as i was about to top up the reservoir i noticed the oil in the reservoir was of a reddish colour and the scottoiler oil in the bottle was of a blue shade. At this point I stopped. I am concerned that mixing the two different oils could cause a problem. I have heard that the oil colours have changed to prevent confusion between the traditional and thin oils. whats your thourghts on mixing these two oils or should i leave well alone and attempt a complete change of oilregards Para300

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: scottoiler advice.
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2012, 11:26:35 pm »
should be ok but can u send it back and get blue oil i use blue all the time  ;)

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2012, 08:55:12 am »
there is no problem in mixing the two types, which one you choose to use will depend on where your reservior is situated (is it close to a constant heat source) and whether or not you intend to use the bike all year round or just summer?

basicaly the red oil is recommended for ambient temps between 20 - 40C
blue is recommended for ambients between 0 -20C
which ever one you choose the flow rate will still need adjusting through out the year.

blue is the standard oil recommended for UK use, and i use it all year round.

hope that helps

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2012, 08:56:48 am »
It'll be fine, though you may find you need to adjust the flow rate control if it's viscosity is slightly different.
Or you could do what I do, use cheap car engine oil instead of the overpriced stuff from Scottoil.

janner_10

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
It'll be fine, though you may find you need to adjust the flow rate control if it's viscosity is slightly different.
Or you could do what I do, use cheap car engine oil instead of the overpriced stuff from Scottoil.

This is what I do - my chain gets sprayed with my old engine oil!!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
My bike came with a Scottoiler fitted.

Once it run out, I never filled it again as I was fed up with the stuff flying everywhere...

Chain Lube once a week after the bikes been ridded so the chain is warm.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2012, 04:30:37 pm »
My bike came with a Scottoiler fitted.

Once it run out, I never filled it again as I was fed up with the stuff flying everywhere...

Chain Lube once a week after the bikes been ridded so the chain is warm.
mmm mind do not u do get some waste i got my to oil drop once avery 3 mins it was 2 drops a min thats was mess every where just it down a bit see what happed ;)