Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:26 am

Author Topic: Tyre sizes and choices  (Read 3784 times)

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Tyre sizes and choices
« on: 30 September 2020, 09:57:05 pm »
Hi all, I had a new set of BT016's fitted recently to my bike and I hate them! Used to have 021's and never had any problems with those, now the local shop (M&P) stopped doing the 021's, maybe should have gone to 023's but I digress. I want to go for pilot road 4's but it looks like the front tyre size available is a 120/17 and the original tyre size for the Fazer is 110/17, will the 120/17 fit? Rear sizes are no problem.

Also, tyre pressures, what rubber and pressure are you running? my 021's ran at 33/36 f/r with no problems, standard recommended by the book etc, the 016's do not like those pressures, feels like I'm on ice on wet roads, in the dry, they are ok but don't fill me with confidence. Reading some posts on here, I read that the pilot roads 4's are probably ther best tyres for a Fazer600, I know it's all personal preference etc but would areally appreciate some thoughts.
Cheers

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre sizes and choices
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2020, 11:45:19 pm »
Pilot Road 3s and 5s come in a 110/17. Lots of people have mixed a 3 front with a 4 rear.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2020, 07:10:42 am »
Pilot Road 3s and 5s come in a 110/17. Lots of people have mixed a 3 front with a 4 rear.

This is the combo i currently have on my bike, PR3f & PR4r, and it works extremely well, i've been caught out in a snowstorm, and torrential rain many times, and the tyres remained firmly planted, i have full confidence in this particular pair right now.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2020, 12:52:47 pm »

This is the combo i currently have on my bike, PR3f & PR4r, and it works extremely well,

And me...

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2020, 01:14:30 pm »

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 interact on mine, running the standard pressures.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2020, 08:59:05 pm »
Thanks all, will be looking at that combo, esp with winter coming.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2020, 08:21:47 am »

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and know a place that will fit tyres onto a loose wheel, you can save quite a few quid by buying the tyres online, from either Oponeo or Tyreleader.

If you're not confident with refitting your wheels onto your bike though, leave it to a garage to sort out, but expect to pay more.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2020, 12:57:36 pm »
ive been a lover of avon tyres for years now since running venoms on my old cruiser, i ran cobras on my fazer and have roadriders on my 1100 gsx
i alwasy take my wheels of myself and buy tyres online if local tyre changer cant get the ones i want. i sometimes even take the old ones to the recycling center aswell to save a few quid on disposal charge :-)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2020, 04:57:33 pm »
I used Oponeo at the beginning of the year. Not only a very good price, but had a list of approved tyre fitters in my area. They only charged something like £15 to fit the tyres to bare rims that had just been powder coated, and £10 to balance them. In my area there’s a guy that comes to your house, and either fits and balances your tyres for £20 a wheel, or supplies and fits for a competitive price, but not as cheap as Oponeo
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2020, 06:15:09 pm »
I used Oponeo at the beginning of the year. Not only a very good price, but had a list of approved tyre fitters in my area. They only charged something like £15 to fit the tyres to bare rims that had just been powder coated, and £10 to balance them. In my area there’s a guy that comes to your house, and either fits and balances your tyres for £20 a wheel, or supplies and fits for a competitive price, but not as cheap as Oponeo

Balancing should really be in the price of fitting, they shouldn't give it back to you unbalanced.
My mechanic charges me £15 a wheel, but I'll only ever have one fitted at a time anyway.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2020, 06:32:04 pm »
Metzeler M7RR's were always my favourites. Loads of grip, great on those spirited rides and grand through the winter. Though they won't last as long as Pilot Roads of Z8 / Z6's, used to get get about 6-7k out of M7RR's vs 11-12k out of Z6 and Z8's.

S Baker (again)

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2020, 08:28:08 pm »
Yeh i got pr3 front and pr4 rear love em very sure footed and planted!
steve baker aka groucho.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2020, 09:00:24 pm »

Balancing should really be in the price of fitting, they shouldn't give it back to you unbalanced.
My mechanic charges me £15 a wheel, but I'll only ever have one fitted at a time anyway.
Because the wheels had just been powder coated, I had the tyres fitted, took them away to fit new bearings and then took them back to be balanced. £25 to have 2 tyres fitted and balanced is an absolute bargain in my neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2020, 08:47:48 am by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2020, 03:49:21 am »

Because the wheels had just been powder coated, I had the tyres fitted, took them away to fit new bearings and then took them back to be balanced. £25 to have 2 tyres fitred and balanced is an absolute bargain in my neck of the woods.

Oh right, yeah that's a pretty decent price, especially for the pair as well.

You've gotta trust who fits them too, i can't remember why but i needed a tyre fitting quickly one day and took my loose wheel to a car tyre place who agreed to fit the new tyre for me, and whoever did it took chunks out of the wheel rim. I was not very pleased at all.
I'll only go to my mechanics now to have them fitted.
I can save £30 - £40 by buying a rear tyre online and taking the loose wheel to the shop myself though, so it is a significant saving.

MikeBike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2020, 11:06:56 pm »

Hello all.
I as well had the BT21 and swapped for the recent BT23. I have no complains. They last long and have a good grip. For a regular road rider, even for a "sporty" one, they are great, but that is just an opinion.
Have a look at this links that talk about tyres, including the BT23
https://www.canyonchasers.net/2018/05/are-your-tires-worn-out/
https://www.canyonchasers.net/2012/07/bridgestone-bt-023-sport-touring-tire-test/

I have to say thought that this website is in my opinion the best website for tips and hints for bikers. Very professional, very wise and competent. You learn so much in order to be a better, faster and specially safer rider. Do browse it for several helping videos.
Hope this helps
Miguel

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2020, 11:12:10 am »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 04:19:27 pm by YamFazFan »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2020, 08:02:56 pm »

Hello all.
I as well had the BT21 and swapped for the recent BT23. I have no complains. They last long and have a good grip. For a regular road rider, even for a "sporty" one, they are great, but that is just an opinion.
Have a look at this links that talk about tyres, including the BT23
https://www.canyonchasers.net/2018/05/are-your-tires-worn-out/
https://www.canyonchasers.net/2012/07/bridgestone-bt-023-sport-touring-tire-test/

I have to say thought that this website is in my opinion the best website for tips and hints for bikers. Very professional, very wise and competent. You learn so much in order to be a better, faster and specially safer rider. Do browse it for several helping videos.
Hope this helps
Miguel

B23's do have good grip, I've used them before.

But the PR3/PR4 combo have exceptional grip.

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2020, 04:50:01 pm »
another vote for BT023, I have them as matching pair, excellent grip and have had to endure some shocking weather conditions

FazerOS

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 December 2020, 11:24:17 pm »

I have great experiences with Metzeler M7 RR. On dry, and wet asphalt.
Keep the rubber side down.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2021, 08:46:06 pm »
I took the wheels off and dropped them off at M&P and they fitted a pair of BT023's, had these before and found they were goos and M&P were doing a deal for the pair, woul dhave cost more than I had for the Pilot Road combo but I'll certainly have a look at that in future :-) Appreciate all the suggestions :-)

Yas1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2021, 09:10:10 pm »
Just a thought...
when I first got my boxeye some new rubber the workshop (PowerLinks in Ringwood I think) said some people put a 120 on the front; apparently being on the narrow rim makes the tyre more V shaped and makes the bike turn in faster. I can't say I ever wanted mine to turn in faster so I never tried.

MikeBike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2021, 11:07:23 pm »
It´s always a personal choice. I have a pair of BT23 and have no complaints. They last and I think if you are not trying to be Marc MArquez on the road, they´ll do fine, in my opinion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2021, 11:49:04 am »

I have great experiences with Metzeler M7 RR. On dry, and wet asphalt.
I have those also -- have not clue what they are like in the wet  ;) :D :sun
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Cagey_Thoughts

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FJR 1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 June 2021, 10:02:14 pm »
I have recently put some S21's on... (Surprised that they do them in Fazer600 sizes).. Waaaay OTT .. but they are FUN....  I've had to take the crash bungs off... but the tyres seem nice and predicatable.... Typically Bridgestone....

When I was commuting... 020's.. 021's (fronts were awful not a patch on the 020's).. Avon Storms were nice to ride on.. plenty of wet weather grip and lasted well...

I've got 023's on the FJR... they are fantastic... better than the T30's I had on previously...