Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:29 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 Exhaust header rear mounting bracket?  (Read 650 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 Exhaust header rear mounting bracket?
« on: 16 April 2024, 08:13:51 pm »
  🤔 I have noticed a number of mechanics doing M.O.Ts put a trolley jack under the collector box to get the front wheel off the ground to check the front wheel bearings, forks etc for play.  If this is a common practice it could be the reason so many of the rear collector box brackets fractures?  I always push the back of the seat down to allow these items to be checked. What do you think?
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Gen 1 Exhaust header rear mounting bracket?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2024, 08:51:24 pm »
How much of your weight do you have to use to push the tail down? That would be similar to the amount of weight resting on the collector box (allowing for leverage etc)

I'd have thought that failures would be more likely due to metal fatigue from the constant vibration.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2024, 09:53:48 am »
@Dave, the brackets are at the lowest point on the bike, where they will catch all the crap coming off the road. Thus they will corrode and fail.

MY only issue with bikeshops doing that is have to make sure they dont scratch/scuff the underside of the headers.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2024, 12:07:01 am »
  Pushing down on the rear of the seat to lift the front wheel up off the ground on the centre stand doesn’t put any load on the exhaust bracket.  Yes, they do catch all the crap and salt but I have seen some healthy ones broken, that simply need re-welded.
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!